Which of these LW prospects would do best in the UFC

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Which of these LW prospects would do best in the UFC
POLL: Which fighter would do best in the UFC LW division?
Eddie Alverez 55% (18)
Shinya Aoki 24% (8)
Dan Lauzon 0% (0)
Chris Horodecki 3% (1)
Joachim Hansen 15% (5)
Caol Uno 3% (1)
Pitbull09
12/27/08 8:05:00PM
With some many events coming up, I thought I would be interesting to see what people thought. Heres the list
Eddie Alverez (15-1)
Shinya Aoki (18-3)
Joachim Hansen (19-7-1)
Dan Lauzon (11-2)
Chris Horodecki (12-1)
Caol Uno (25-11-4)

I didnt involve Gomi or Kid (even though he FW) as it would be a more obvious majority. I also put Uno in even though he had a few fights previously in UFC.
Khaos
12/27/08 8:07:39PM
I say hansen because he's got good striking and decent sub defense, then again I'm pretty bias when it comes towards Hansen,as he's one of my favorite LW's.

Also I think Uno could do good, but like before wouldn't win the title.
Pitbull09
12/27/08 8:12:01PM

Posted by Khaos

I say hansen because he's got good striking and decent sub defense, then again I'm pretty bias when it comes towards Hansen,as he's one of my favorite LW's.

Also I think Uno could do good, but like before wouldn't win the title.

I think another good question to add in here would be do you think the guy who would do the best in UFC could manage to become champ? I am beginning to doubt BJ's immortality with the KenFlo fight coming up but should I even dare to question if any of these guys could win the title?
aaa9erh8er
12/27/08 8:16:02PM
i dont kniow much about alverez but i think hansen maybe has a chance wee actualy they all do iuts mma
wiggum
12/27/08 8:32:52PM
id say eddie alvarez....great boxing, great wrestling...and has already shown he can hang with the big dogs...after that, i would give it too hansen, his style would be the most adaptable to the cage and hes the most well rounded out of the rest...i think aoki is overated and i think he wouldnt last too long, but thats my personal opionon cuz i think the ufc/cage you cant just rely on bjj....uno already tried and did mediocre in his prime in the ufc so i dont think he would do much better....horodecki and lauzon are young awesome up and comers and both should do very well in the careers as long as the train properly and continue to learn....i think as far as the ufc goes tho, lauzons style is better fitted for the cage, great wrestling and ground game with enough boxing to imploy is will...much like his brother...horodecki is better suited for the ring, more of a traditional kickboxing style coupled with sub par ground game and average takedown d.....but both are young and could do big things as long as they put in the work to learn
Pookie
12/27/08 8:56:53PM
Gesias Cavalcante
Aaronno9
12/27/08 9:11:50PM
Hansen and Eddie from that list. The others wouldnt do to well at all imo.
mrkennedy
12/27/08 11:14:50PM
aoki and alvarez
MikeyG
12/27/08 11:59:57PM

Posted by Pookie

Gesias Cavalcante

end of thread
Wolfenstein
12/28/08 3:42:41AM
1 Eddie Alvarez - He has the best combination of wrestling and boxing; he also has good submission defense. I think he matches up the best ot of all the aforementioned with current top UFC LW's like Sean Sherk, Gray Maynard, Nate Diaz, Roger Huerta, Gray Maynard, and Frankie Edgar. All of those guys would have trouble taking Eddie down and don't have the boxing to match up with Alvarez either. I think Eddie could also give BJ a run for his money if he could turn it into a boxing match. Kenny Florian might be a bad matchup because of his thai boxing.

2 Joachim Hansen - He's dangerous everywhere the fight goes, and times his knees really well to counter wrestlers. He would do well but ultimately struggle here and their against wrestlers holding him down. I think a guy like Hansen--given the oppurtunity to use elbows--could end up being one of his best weapons. His style is well built for the cage.

3 Dan Lauzon - He has been in the UFC before losing to Spencer Fisher via TKO. I'd like to see him back. He has some absolutely vicious GnP. He would do well given another oppurtunity. I think he's just as good as Joe.

4 Chris Horodecki - I concur with Wiggum on this one. Horodecki's style is definetely better built for the ring. He's super-talented but doesn't always perform as well as expected. He's well respected as one of the best guys at Xtreme-Couture and is extremely young at 21 years of age. I think he needs more experience bu one day he'll be top LW in the world when dedication and experience meet talent and athleticism.

5 Caol Uno - I think he's on the decline in his career, and I don't think there's any reason to bring him back outside of a UFC event in Japan. Caol Uno always surprises me though and he did recently defeat top LW Mitsuhiro Ishida, but stylistically he would struggle with many of the UFC's LW's.

6 Shinya Aoki - I love watching Shinya Aoki fight but I think he would do really poorly in a division of wrestlers with good standup. Too many bad matchups for Aoki.
tepid55
12/28/08 10:32:35AM
I think Caol Uno, JZ Calvancante, and Shinya Aoki would do well in the UFC.
kris_ericson
12/28/08 11:03:43AM
WAR STRECHYPANTS!!
higdon10
12/28/08 12:18:21PM
Hansen, JZ and Alvarez are worlds ahead of the other names mentioned.