Pros Pick: Fedor vs. Sylvia

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Pros Pick: Fedor vs. Sylvia
Next Page »
Sam_Rothstein
7/19/08 4:02:41AM
Looking at the Las Vegas odds just days prior to the encounter, Fedor is the prohibitive favorite. Most members of the media and thousands of fans believe Sylvia stands little to no chance of pulling off the upset. But what do fighters think?

Sherdog.com polled more than 25 fighters and trainers to get their thoughts:

Click Here For Full Article
MMAcca
7/19/08 4:10:55AM
I thought more would have picked Timmeh.......
jakeiceman
7/19/08 4:12:56AM
Fedor is gettin KO'd I cant wait!
jiujitsufreak74
7/19/08 4:20:50AM
i will reiterate my sentiments on the last sherdog article that included other fighters' opinions...

GABE RUEDIGER!?!?!?!?!?!?!

WHO THE F*CK CARES ABOUT GABE "THE COLONOSCOPY CRY BABY" RUEDIGER!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Sam_Rothstein
7/19/08 4:21:09AM
Yeah im surprised only 5 people picked timmy to fedors 20. Im still taking fedor, but it is probably my least confident pick in the whole event
jiujitsufreak74
7/19/08 4:22:38AM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Yeah im surprised only 5 people picked timmy to fedors 20. Im still taking fedor, but it is probably my least confident pick in the whole event

it should be one of your more confident picks. i will sleep easy tonight knowing Fedor will kimura Tim tomorrow. to be honest, Whitehead has a better chance to win than Tim does.

Richie Hightower (Pictures): Fedor by whatever he wants.

at least Richie isn't a complete idiot
hotrodttt
7/19/08 4:39:07AM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

it should be one of your more confident picks. i will sleep easy tonight knowing Fedor will kimura Tim tomorrow. to be honest, Whitehead has a better chance to win than Tim does.

Richie Hightower (Pictures): Fedor by whatever he wants.

at least Richie isn't a complete idiot

Yeah Fedor is definately my most confident Pick next to Minotoro, sometimes I think that people have never seen Fedor Fight
Quasar
7/19/08 4:40:13AM

I have Whitehead on the parlay, I think hes got the best chance at the upset (there will be at least one)

Oh yeah and Fedor by TKO (Broken Arm)
Sam_Rothstein
7/19/08 6:49:30AM
Jeez im thinking I should of kept that last comment to myself

Cmon though none of you are even a little worried about fedor? He hasnt fought a competetive heavyweight in almost 2 years. Hes going into this fight injured. Hes also going against a 2 Time UFC Champion whos been fighting top notch Competition for the past 2 years.

Especially since the last time Fedor took a proper punch was from a middle weight and that cut him.

Before i get flamed too much more let me say

I DO THINK FEDOR WILL WIN....I just won't be that surprised if he loses by a cut/tko/decision.
MMAcca
7/19/08 6:58:23AM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Cmon though none of you are even a little worried about fedor? He hasnt fought a competetive heavyweight in almost 2 years. Hes going into this fight injured. Hes also going against a 2 Time UFC Champion whos been fighting top notch Competition for the past 2 years.

Especially since the last time Fedor took a proper punch was from a middle weight and that cut him.

Those are all of the reasons why i'm taking Sylvia in the upset of the night.

ncordless
7/19/08 8:56:23AM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

I DO THINK FEDOR WILL WIN....I just won't be that surprised if he loses by a cut/tko/decision.

I want a source on this Fedor injury rumor. I've heard it dismissed by the VP of Affliction and Fedor's management.
Jackelope
7/19/08 11:54:32AM

Din Thomas (Pictures): For years I’ve underestimated Tim Sylvia (Pictures). This time I think I’m gonna be in the minority and pick Tim and his long right hand. Come to think of it, I am a minority.

Aether
7/19/08 12:21:09PM
heh, I'm surprised that you're surprised so many pros are picking fedor. When it comes down to it he may have fought some cans but look at his record. He's fought a lot of the best fighters and dominated them, including the current UFC champion more than once. He hasn't been legitimately beaten ever... No one has really even come close.

Like I've said in other threads I actually give Tim more credit than most... I think he has a reasonable chance to pull an upset, but it would definitely be a big upset and fedor is just the better fighter all around. People thought nog would destroy him on the ground and cropcop would destroy him on his feet, and he took both fights to his opponent's world and beat them badly. Fedor has fought better and bigger strikers, it's hard to give Tim more than a puncher's chance.

Shouldn't really be surprising that people are picking the best fighter in the world to win his fight.
Rush
7/19/08 12:25:54PM
Yeah, Din's comment was pretty funny. Lindland still sounds a little bitter. lol

Posted by hotrodttt

Yeah Fedor is definately my most confident Pick next to Minotoro, sometimes I think that people have never seen Fedor Fight

I agree. I think he has better takedowns than Nog and Nog still got Tim down. Fedor's striking is better than Nog's too. I think Tim might eat a right and fall similar to the Randy fight.

Mac Danzig (Pictures): On the ground Fedor wins, but stand-up is anybody’s game. People always underestimate Tim’s boxing, and Fedor has never fought anybody with a jab like Tim’s.

What? Fedor has fought way better strikers than Tim. At least Micah knew what he was talking about.
Aether
7/19/08 12:33:43PM
he's not saying tim is the best all around striker fedor has fought, he's just saying he has the best JAB of anyone he's fought. I don't know if I can argue with that. Tim has one of the best jabs in the sport. His striking isn't as well rounded as some of the best strikers but he definitely has a phenomenal jab.
Rush
7/19/08 12:39:09PM
Personally I think people get "Tim has a long jab" and "Tim has a good jab" mixed up. A better striker overall is a more formidable opponent than someone with a long (or even good) jab.

A good jab is really nothing if you don't use it to set anything up.

Aether
7/19/08 12:55:08PM
well he uses it to control people's movement more often than not. It's really accurate, fast, and he can use it to effectively control people's distance which allows him to basically sit back and wait for the big shot. It's a boring style of fight but it has worked for him more often than not.

I think the reason Randy was so confident he could beat him is because he realized this and knew all he really had to do was take away his main weapon by closing the distance before he could use it. I'd say he has one of the best jabs at HW for sure.
Jackelope
7/19/08 1:09:21PM
I'm in agreement with both of you guys here.

Tim utilizes the jab effectively, although I wouldn't say it's the most crisp and best jab out there, it's utilized effectively. He wouldn't have rode his career this far on the jab if it wasn't.
Rush
7/19/08 1:34:11PM

Posted by Aether

I think the reason Randy was so confident he could beat him is because he realized this and knew all he really had to do was take away his main weapon by closing the distance before he could use it.

Well considering closing the distance and taking guys down is Fedor's speciality, I would say the concept of Tim's jab (whatever we want to define it as) is moot.
jiujitsufreak74
7/19/08 1:37:33PM
Fedor defeated Semmy Schilt

in terms of striking Semmy = 10,000 x Tim Sylvia

Semmy is taller, stronger and a much better striker. for Mac Danzig to say that Tim has the best jab that Fedor has faced is mentally retarded. he should really stick to being a hippy...because he is terrible at analyzing fights.
candynuts
7/19/08 1:37:57PM
Hahah, gotta love Din Thomas' take on the fight.
RNC
7/19/08 1:38:44PM
Din Thomas (Pictures): For years I’ve underestimated Tim Sylvia (Pictures). This time I think I’m gonna be in the minority and pick Tim and his long right hand. Come to think of it, I am a minority.

Funny.
Aether
7/19/08 4:13:39PM

Semmy is taller, stronger and a much better striker. for Mac Danzig to say that Tim has the best jab that Fedor has faced is mentally retarded. he should really stick to being a hippy...because he is terrible at analyzing fights.

Again, the fact that semmy is a better overall striker doesn't necessarily mean that he has a better jab. I'm not saying tim is going to jab his way to victory, but mac's comment isn't really stupid or ridiculous. I think that even though Semmy is a better striker, Tim has a more effective jab.
Aether
7/19/08 4:19:50PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by Aether

I think the reason Randy was so confident he could beat him is because he realized this and knew all he really had to do was take away his main weapon by closing the distance before he could use it.

Well considering closing the distance and taking guys down is Fedor's speciality, I would say the concept of Tim's jab (whatever we want to define it as) is moot.

No it isn't. I'm not arguing that tim will beat fedor, I'm arguing that he has a good jab and mac's comment isn't stupid. If I was arguing that tim's jab was going to win him the fight maybe you would be right, but I'm not. Like I already said I don't think Tim has a very good chance at all.

That doesn't mean that I don't think he has one of the best jabs in the HW division.
jiujitsufreak74
7/19/08 4:25:01PM

Posted by Aether

Again, the fact that semmy is a better overall striker doesn't necessarily mean that he has a better jab. I'm not saying tim is going to jab his way to victory, but mac's comment isn't really stupid or ridiculous. I think that even though Semmy is a better striker, Tim has a more effective jab.

i understand that, i am saying that Semmy also has a better jab then Sylvia. it is ridiculous because he totally neglects the fact that Fedor had to deal with the jabs of Semmy and Hong Man Choi...both of which are large strikers with better jabs. Fedor has faced the jabs of K-1 fighters, and i am telling you right now no part of Tim Sylvia's striking game is K-1 level...even his jab. Mac is acting like Fedor is just another fighter, when in fact he is the most dominant fighter the sport has ever had. i just don't see how the best K-1 fighter of all time has a worse jab then Tim Sylvia...just can't see it
lordicast
7/19/08 6:38:18PM

Posted by Aether

i understand that, i am saying that Semmy also has a better jab then Sylvia. it is ridiculous because he totally neglects the fact that Fedor had to deal with the jabs of Semmy and Hong Man Choi...both of which are large strikers with better jabs. Fedor has faced the jabs of K-1 fighters, and i am telling you right now no part of Tim Sylvia's striking game is K-1 level...even his jab. Mac is acting like Fedor is just another fighter, when in fact he is the most dominant fighter the sport has ever had. i just don't see how the best K-1 fighter of all time has a worse jab then Tim Sylvia...just can't see it

Only way to setttle this is to have a "JAB OFF"!

Jab off folks gather round
zephead
7/19/08 6:54:46PM

And Semmy has no takedown defense at all. Every one of his loses he's been taken down and beaten senseless. Tim is a MMA fighter, training with Militech for years. Semmy is a K-1 fighter (Never had to worry about being taken down)
who had no idea how to stop a take down. Big difference bewtween the two
Aether
7/19/08 7:34:02PM
I think semmy being the best k-1 fighter is debatable. I think a lot of his success is really a result of his size. I would argue that hoost is a technically better kickboxer. Anyway, we don't really disagree about much here. I think Tim is going to lose, and I've argued many times that fedor has fought superior strikers, I just don't think that mac's comment is that ridiculous. Semmy also wasn't at the same level as he is now at the time that he fought fedor and the fact that he really has no takedown defense just means that his striking becomes less effective in MMA. I'd say that Tim has the more effective jab as it applies to MMA, regardless of if Semmy's is more technically sound from a kickboxing perspective.

I don't think he was too off point, but if you do it's not like we're going to convince each other otherwise so there's not much point in continuing. Agree to disagree I guess.
jiujitsufreak74
7/20/08 12:50:56AM

Posted by zephead

And Semmy has no takedown defense at all. Every one of his loses he's been taken down and beaten senseless. Tim is a MMA fighter, training with Militech for years. Semmy is a K-1 fighter (Never had to worry about being taken down)
who had no idea how to stop a take down. Big difference bewtween the two

i was using Semmy as an example of how Fedor has dealt with tall strikers and their jabs. i wasn't saying that because he beat Semmy he would definitely beat Tim but rather the point of Tim's striking/jab being too much for Fedor was ridiculous.

Guess i was right
cmill21
7/20/08 3:59:15AM
Hope people will start to respect the fighter that deserves it.
Pages: [1] 2