Pros Pick: Coleman vs. Shogun II

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Pros Pick: Coleman vs. Shogun II
Wolfenstein
1/13/09 5:02:45AM
Coleman and Rua are set to square off again this Saturday at UFC 93. Sherdog.com contacted dozens upon dozens of pros for their thoughts on the rematch, but not many were brave enough to put their reputations on the line:

link
artofdefense
1/13/09 9:30:00AM
Based on how 2008 went for fight favorites... all these people picking Shogun makes me feel like I should pick Coleman!
ohiostate1016
1/13/09 9:44:05AM

Posted by artofdefense

Based on how 2008 went for fight favorites... all these people picking Shogun makes me feel like I should pick Coleman!

Exactly...I'm really having a tough time with this one. On first thought, I see Shogun winning by just about any way that he wants. On second thought, I see that Coleman is the bigger guy and that he should be able to push Shogun around and could probably get on top and gnp if he wanted.

I saw in the first fight that Coleman immediately wanted to take Shogun down, and it looks like he was going to. Shogun broke his arm trying to avoid the takedown from Coleman, perhaps because he knew that he couldn't hang on the ground (or just because he knew that he had such an advantage in the striking game that that was his best option).

All in all, I still have Shogun in this fight, but I'm leaning more and more toward Coleman every time that I think about this fight. If I DO change to Coleman, then don't expect me to let you guys know.
Kpro
1/13/09 10:02:03AM
Pete Sell is currently 0-6 in the Pro's Pick segment on Sherdog.

Pete Sell chose Shogun.

Discuss.
bobby_loco13
1/13/09 10:25:09AM
so because randy had a decent run in his later years, every old fighter thinks they going to do the same....

c'mon now. shogun be early tko!

(dont make me look like sum trash talkin douche, shogun. dont fuc this up!)

=)
wiggum
1/13/09 11:09:36AM
Notice how all the fighters that chose Coleman are friends and former training partners.....just supporting theyre boy, which is cool......rua i think is gonna run all over him, yeah coleman has the wrestling edge, thats obvious, but thats not all there is too this match....beside the huge advantage that rua has the feet, he also is a very well rounded grappler and bjj black belt.....and coleman has always been suseptible to submissions, espcially as his career went on....i see this going very similar to the rua-randleman fight....coleman takes a few punches, takes rua down, rua submits him or sweeps him and finishes with the tko
MattHughesRules
1/13/09 11:14:59AM
I think there is a very small chance that Coleman can take Rua down, control the fight using his wrestling (especially with the cage) and win a decison. It is a HUGE longshot though. Rua is the much more dynamic fighter. If Rua is able to defend the takedowns he is going to win in destructive fashion. If he does get taken down I think there is a better then average chance he finishes the old man with a submission. Smart money on Rua here.
sparky
1/13/09 11:42:26AM
Im taking ShoGun but Coleman did look in the best shape I have ever seen him in. so if he does pull off the "W" i'll completely understand why!!!
cmill21
1/13/09 12:58:12PM
The thing that keeps me from going with the LnP fighter in the cage is Shogun's submission skills. He's very good at getting all kind of subs and is a very legit ground fighter as well. Both very tough guys though.

EDIT: I also hope Shogun wins because mma is muuuuch more exciting with him. You have a guy who beats top 5's in incredible fashion, who doesn't want to see him fight everyone in the UFC's LHW div.
jimmypockets
1/13/09 1:56:10PM
I agree the cage works in Coleman's favor. I am sure Shogun would love to KO Coleman first round but being able to keep distance in the cage will be a problem. I am picking Shogun Round 1 via armbar. The only other way I see it ending is with Coleman eating fast knees to the face. I am a Mark Coleman fan and will place a wager on him but realistically I do not think he will have the speed needed to react to Shogun's ground game.
jiujitsufreak74
1/13/09 2:25:22PM

Posted by Kpro

Pete Sell chose Shogun.

Discuss.

it means that he is due. based on probability, his average should get closer and closer to .5 the more he picks. so going 0-6 just means that he is going to start getting them right now.

of course i realize there are other variables besides pure probability since he isn't randomly selecting his picks, but i just can't have the notion that there is even a chance of Shogun losing being out there
fizzle
1/13/09 2:28:41PM
Anyone else tired of Sherdog asking Gabe Ruediger who he thinks will win the fight between X and Y?
grappler0000
1/13/09 5:26:34PM

Posted by fizzle

Anyone else tired of Sherdog asking Gabe Ruediger who he thinks will win the fight between X and Y?

It's comparible to one of those VH-1 shows that discuss things like the Top 10 Pop Culture figures of 2002...and they always have like Gary Coleman and Corey Heim sharing their two cents. They may not be stars, but people know who they are and they are never too busy to do it.
Wolfenstein
1/13/09 5:41:06PM

Posted by Kpro

Pete Sell chose Shogun.

Discuss.

Check and mate. End of thread
bls1919
1/13/09 6:27:43PM
Coleman is going to be on the shtie end of a bad beating. i see Shogun out pointing and beating coleman up on the feet for a while then get takendown and sub him. Most likely a choke.

EDIT: Horay for 1500 posts.
im2fast4u1981
1/13/09 6:45:50PM
Shogun all the way....If coleman gets a takedown i see it ending by a submission...I wanna see Shogun vs a top guy @ lhw soon
xtra_chewy
1/13/09 7:54:05PM

Posted by Kpro

Pete Sell chose Shogun.

Discuss.

I'll just go out on a limb and say Sell will have his first win on his Sherdog picks. (look for Sell's Playground account toward the lower end of the echelon)