Proper Weight

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Proper Weight
blb8698
9/23/09 4:37:21PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows the formula that they use to tell what weight you should be. I'm 26 5'8" and 178 lbs.
postman
9/23/09 5:18:59PM
Depending on your frame you should be between 140 and 172 its more important to go off your Body fat %
Rush
9/23/09 7:35:28PM
What you want to know is your body mass index (BMI). However, it should only be a guide and keep in mind that it is not accurate for body builders or elite athletes because their muscle mass is generally much higher and totally skews the BMI. i.e. most MMA fighters would be considered overweight to obese by their BMI.

However, for most people, whether active or not, it is a pretty good indication.

According to your stats, you are just on the high side of normal or the low side of overweight.

blb8698
9/24/09 3:07:23PM
Alright so I am just starting training so I shouldn't even think about what what my BMI should be. I was just curious cause I think I would like skeletor if I was 140 pounds
Rush
9/24/09 4:17:34PM

Posted by blb8698

Alright so I am just starting training so I shouldn't even think about what what my BMI should be. I was just curious cause I think I would like skeletor if I was 140 pounds

I don't know. If it's any indication, I am about 6' and weigh in at about 163 lbs. That BMI is not too far off what yours would be if you were 140 lbs. In no way do I look like a skeleton. If I drop another 3-5 lbs, I look in the face, but overall healthy. Then again, I have a fairly big frame (big hips and shoulders) so that helps me not look too skinny.