Proof women should be playing baseball..?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Proof women should be playing baseball..?
AchillesHeel
6/30/08 3:13:45PM
Check out this amazing catch.
NeaRMisS
6/30/08 3:29:22PM
I am amazed. Great catch indeed!
juanez13
6/30/08 3:31:12PM
TWITA
6/30/08 3:40:54PM
This has already been debunked - it is a Gatorade promo ad.
stock
6/30/08 4:16:16PM
...and there is nothing that says woman can't play baseball.
If a woman was good enough, she could play.
AchillesHeel
6/30/08 4:43:35PM

Posted by TWITA

Haha. Nice. Like that Ronaldinho video a year or two ago...

Posted by stock

Well, when I played Little League, we had 1 or 2 girls on most of our teams. Later on, the town I grew up in decided that girls were being shut out of Little League, so they opened a league just for girls, and segregated the kids by gender. The girls' league was softball, of course, not baseball. Anyone who thinks women have equal opportunities to "make it" as professional athletes in this country is dreaming.
kaskd
6/30/08 4:46:38PM

Posted by TWITA

it's not for gatorade it was made for and by the Grizzlies minor league team. The outfielder shown is actually an infielder for their team and the girl is a professional stunt woman. I saw on tv saying the video worked b/c their website hits have gone up huge since then.
holt8081
6/30/08 4:56:46PM
Ya I remember reading that it was an ad that somebody was trying to say was real and the girl in the ad was going along with it or something and she finally admited that is was fake.
aaa9erh8er
6/30/08 5:55:25PM
fake or no tthat was ******* cool
wolfman
6/30/08 7:14:17PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by TWITA

Posted by stock

Well, when I played Little League, we had 1 or 2 girls on most of our teams. Later on, the town I grew up in decided that girls were being shut out of Little League, so they opened a league just for girls, and segregated the kids by gender. The girls' league was softball, of course, not baseball. Anyone who thinks women have equal opportunities to "make it" as professional athletes in this country is dreaming.

Props, well said.
MMAcca
7/1/08 12:17:06AM
stock
7/1/08 9:16:08AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by TWITA

Posted by stock

I respectfully disagree.
The WNBA has run at a huge loss every year, and the NBA picks up the slack to give women every opportunity in the world.

With baseball, there is just no way that a woman would have the ability to make it at the highest level. I remember about 5 years ago they tried to put together an allstar team of women baseball players and put them against a minor league mens team. Oil Can Boyd (a washed up ex major leaguer) threw a no-hitter against them.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a hater. I absolutely love Women's softball, and am a huge fan of the TX longhorn softball team. I have been to countless games. I am just realistic when it comes to their abilities at the pro baseball level.
AchillesHeel
7/1/08 10:19:40AM

Posted by stock

I respectfully disagree.

The WNBA has run at a huge loss every year, and the NBA picks up the slack to give women every opportunity in the world.

Through the first ten years of its existence, Major League Soccer lost approximately $350,000,000. I guess men can't play soccer at a high level. Bummer.

Posted by stock

With baseball, there is just no way that a woman would have the ability to make it at the highest level. I remember about 5 years ago they tried to put together an allstar team of women baseball players and put them against a minor league mens team. Oil Can Boyd (a washed up ex major leaguer) threw a no-hitter against them.

So you believe this is evidence that women are given equal opportunities to play baseball, from a young age? Don't quit school.

Posted by stock

Don't get me wrong, I am not a hater. I absolutely love Women's softball, and am a huge fan of the TX longhorn softball team. I have been to countless games. I am just realistic when it comes to their abilities at the pro baseball level.

Main Entry: sex·ism
Pronunciation: \'sek-?si-z?m\
Function: noun
Etymology: 1sex + -ism (as in racism)
Date: 1968

1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women
2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

Posted by aaa9erh8er

fake or no tthat was ******* cool

Totally.
stock
7/1/08 5:20:57PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

[Main Entry: sex·ism
Pronunciation: \'sek-?si-z?m\
Function: noun
Etymology: 1sex + -ism (as in racism)
Date: 1968

1: prejudice or discrimination based on sex; especially : discrimination against women
2: behavior, conditions, or attitudes that foster stereotypes of social roles based on sex

Go fu$k yourself. That was uncalled for.

I will reply civily to your other comments.

Pro Soccer is different since there is no subsidies. They are eating the early loss on their own hoping to make money over the long haul.
I was giving evidence of Women getting the opportunity to play pro basketball. Without the opportunity given to them by the NBA subsidising it, there would be no WNBA. I was simply giving an example of women given the opportunity to play pro sports.

In regards to my "Women pro baseball" comment.
Yes, this is one piece of evidence. This is just as much evidence as you gave in your counter argument. You gave 1 example of a city eliminating the women's baseball league.

Where I grew up, any woman could have tried out for any baseball team from little league all the way up thru highschool. I don't know what other opportunity they need.
You could argue for highschools adding a womens baseball program, but not sure how high the demand would be considering there is already a softball program.
Kpro
7/1/08 11:35:08PM
I don't see any way that sexism relates to being of the belief that an elite level male basketball player is better than an elite level female basketball player. Everything I have seen and judged for myself has shown me that to be fact in my eyes. No one said no woman could outplay any man.

To call sexism on the topics Stock had mentioned is not rational.

I also fail to see how MLS operating at a loss has any parallel to the NBA operating at a loss but continuting to keep the WNBA afloat to give women a platform to showcase their athletic talents.
AchillesHeel
7/2/08 10:23:33AM

Posted by stock

Go fu$k yourself. That was uncalled for.

It was entirely true. You said women can't play baseball ("With baseball, there is just no way that a woman would have the ability to make it at the highest level"), and called it "realistic." Sexism, in a nutshell.

But you're actually right, in the end: Calling you out for your sexism was probably uncalled for in this forum, since people aren't here to be self-reflective. I should have just left your original comment alone.

Posted by stock

I will reply civily to your other comments.

And I appreciate that, although I don't know if continuing the debate would be constructive. I will if you want to, but otherwise I'll drop it.
AchillesHeel
7/2/08 10:36:56AM

Posted by Kpro

I also fail to see how MLS operating at a loss has any parallel to the NBA operating at a loss but continuting to keep the WNBA afloat to give women a platform to showcase their athletic talents.

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at here, but to clarify my analogy with MLS: The fact that the league is operating at a loss doesn't reflect the abilities of the entire gender, it reflects the market for the sport.