Pro Elite Close to a Sale? Would-Be Free Agents Screwed?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Pro Elite Close to a Sale? Would-Be Free Agents Screwed?
Muay-Thai_Mogwai
12/3/08 12:29:38AM
Pro Elite could be very close to a sale of the company that might potentially revive MMA on CBS and Showtime, while at the same time putting the kibosh on the free agency plans of EliteXC fighters.
Link
MMAcca
12/3/08 12:37:06AM
Whoever it is, they can't do any worse than the previous owners
Jim_Dangle
12/3/08 12:47:41AM
Good. I've missed the occasional ShoXC event on random Friday nights. Also, the guys they're screwing can fight and get paid again.
bojangalz
12/3/08 2:09:10AM
I'm all for another viable competitor to the UFC. Like already stated- I'd love to see Elite XC up and running again. That is to say as long as they get rid of the name Elite XC (too many bad images come to mind) and we never have to associate the new MMA product with the name "Shaw".

I think the fighters need a strong competitor to the UFC even more then the fans do. It would certainly help keep ugly events like the Fitch fiasco to a minimum.
Wolfenstein
12/3/08 2:21:50AM
"The most likely buyer at this point is described only as “a company with over a billion dollars in annual gross revenue that also is a recognizable name.”

Just shooting in the dark here, but I’m going to say it’s Starbucks. I heard they want to release a new specialty drink, the Kimboccino Latte. It costs half a million dollars, but man does it ever go down easy. (Zing!)"
- Cage Potato

Man perhaps the funniest commentary on an MMA Blog this year. Even Kimbo has to appreciate that ingenuity.

ufc
12/3/08 10:30:48AM
i bet one of the potential buyers is the wwe vince mcmahan is a smart dude and if anybody can save this wrecked company it would be him.
Darnok
12/3/08 11:35:36AM

Posted by ufc

i bet one of the potential buyers is the wwe vince mcmahan is a smart dude and if anybody can save this wrecked company it would be him.

Ding Ding we have the winner!
prozacnation1978
12/3/08 1:34:47PM
might be vince
but then he will make it into a circus and hopefully respected fighters like lawler and shileds will walk away and fight somewhere else, i don't need to see hell in the cell and triple cage title matches
emfleek
12/3/08 1:38:40PM

Posted by ufc

Vince McMahon needs to stick with what he knows. Scripted entertainment.

Remember the XFL?
MALICE
12/3/08 4:32:54PM
There is an upside if it were Vince. He would have tons of money to get things rolling quickly. And he still has to follow the athletic commission's guidelines and rules, so they couldn't do anything too fancy.