Prize money Reduction?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Prize money Reduction?
FlashyG
1/22/09 12:21:47PM
Did the prize money for winning a season change? It says on the main page the prize for winning is $150 now, wasn't it $250 for all previous seasons?

On top of that it looks like there is only an award for premium members for single events now does that mean it only gets paid out if a Premium member wins the event? or does it automatically go to the top premium member for each event.

I guess the financial hard times are hitting the playground too?
DCRage
1/22/09 2:08:36PM
Here's what I remember and know now...(Disclaimer for where applicable: This all is my opinion only)
Prizes: When I first joined (during season 2) the top prize was $1000 for the season. Then it was $500 for season 3, $250 for season 4, now it's $150. It's still doubled for Premium Members unless you go premium right before the final event of the season. No cheating! As for the Premium member bonus, I assume it's if someone gets the overall top score or top earner, but I'm not certain.

Not sure about the financial stuff and it's impact on the site, that's information I really don't have access to and probably shouldn't.
ncordless
1/22/09 7:12:54PM
I think an explanation by Admin as to the reason for the constant decline in prize money is warranted. I would think that a successful site would be increasing their prizes every season. I know that many people think of premium membership as an endorsement of this site and a way to fund it and allow it to build and increase the prize pool. If we can expect a continued decline in the amount of prize money going back into the community then I could easily see why people would not feel the need to support this site.

A detailed reply would be greatly appreciated.
ohiostate1016
1/22/09 11:35:57PM

Posted by ncordless

I think an explanation by Admin as to the reason for the constant decline in prize money is warranted. I would think that a successful site would be increasing their prizes every season. I know that many people think of premium membership as an endorsement of this site and a way to fund it and allow it to build and increase the prize pool. If we can expect a continued decline in the amount of prize money going back into the community then I could easily see why people would not feel the need to support this site.

A detailed reply would be greatly appreciated.

This exact reason is why I've been this close to going premium a number of times, but I've never really felt the need to do it. I'm still considering, but a good explanation here may help sway me a bit.
telnights
1/23/09 2:52:53PM

Posted by ohiostate1016
This exact reason is why I've been this close to going premium a number of times, but I've never really felt the need to do it. I'm still considering, but a good explanation here may help sway me a bit.

The need for doing so is simple it would be to support the webpage you post and play fantasy MMA on. The cost for running a site like this is very high and the reason I went premium had nothing to do with money or prizes it had to do with supporting the webpage I spend a lot of time on here and enjoy it. Think about it a lot of people play MMO's and pay 14.99 a month to play them and a lot of people spend just as much time on here posting and talking about MMA and its free. So paying 19.99 for one year to support the webpage and be one of the cool kids isn't asking for much.
telnights
1/23/09 3:14:38PM
Now for why the prize money most likely has been lowered. (this is just my point of view and does not reflect that of the owner)

Bizness 101

To get a web page going you offer large prizes off the bat to get the community growing. This hole time you are running at a loss most time a huge loss. You slowly lower your prize money as the community grows to cut back on your losses. You also have to think you are paying for web services the hole time and having to upgrade them as the community gets bigger which means more overhead cost. That money has to come from some where. You only real profit is advertising and Premium Membership's which neither of those are huge money makers and your lucky if you even break even. Now take in to account that the economy is bad so your web company has raised their prices as well so now it cost even more. I'm shocked the prize money stayed as high as it did for so long. Look at UFC.com even if you win on their page all you get is UFC merchandise. No money just merchandise that cost them more to ship to you than it does for the stuff itself and the UFC is a billion dollar company.
Shawn91111
1/23/09 3:56:32PM
I went premium to support the site and to make myself above the non premium members. Who we make fun of inside the premium member lounge relentlessly
DCRage
1/23/09 4:07:49PM

Posted by telnights

Now for why the prize money most likely has been lowered. (this is just my point of view and does not reflect that of the owner)

Bizness 101

To get a web page going you offer large prizes off the bat to get the community growing. This hole time you are running at a loss most time a huge loss. You slowly lower your prize money as the community grows to cut back on your losses. You also have to think you are paying for web services the hole time and having to upgrade them as the community gets bigger which means more overhead cost. That money has to come from some where. You only real profit is advertising and Premium Membership's which neither of those are huge money makers and your lucky if you even break even. Now take in to account that the economy is bad so your web company has raised their prices as well so now it cost even more. I'm shocked the prize money stayed as high as it did for so long. Look at UFC.com even if you win on their page all you get is UFC merchandise. No money just merchandise that cost them more to ship to you than it does for the stuff itself and the UFC is a billion dollar company.

If you do the MMAth on Premium Memberships, over a year it right now wouldn't have even covered all the prizes under the old structures. There are currently 101 Premium Members according to the page linked to up top, at $20 a year (round up, it's only 5 cents) that's just over $2,000 a year. Not much when you think about the big picture-that's not much more than what I make a month at my job.
tuvok500
1/23/09 4:38:06PM

Posted by telnights

Bizness 101

Well take a real look at the UFC.com prizes man :

UFC® 93 IRELAND
Congratulations to Bryan from Temple, Georgia, who will receive a portable DVD player and a collection of 20 UFC DVDs, signed event poster, plus an official event t-shirt available only at the Ireland show! Top 20 finishers will receive official UFC merchandise.

UFC® 94 St-Pierre vs Penn - The first place winner in this Fantasy game will receive an Xbox console and 2000 Microsoft Points, official event t-shirt, signed poster and more! The top 20 place finishers will receive official UFC merchandise.

UFC® 95 LONDON - The first place winner in this Fantasy game will receive an iPod Touch and official event t-shirt, available only at the London event, signed poster and UFC duffle bag full of UFC merchandise. Top 20 finishers will receive official UFC merchandise.

League Prizes - All members of the winning league will receive a duffle bag filled with official UFC merchandise and more!

I think it is pretty good prize since it is per event all the time.
Now i don't believe they are giving those big prizes just to get the more peoples possible before cutting the prizes like you said probably or maybe happened here ( witch i do not believe at all, i don't think Hippy and the site owner are like that )