Prime Chuck Liddell vs Prime Dan Henderson [POLL]

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Prime Chuck Liddell vs Prime Dan Henderson [POLL]
Next Page »
POLL: Prime Chuck Liddell vs Prime Dan Henderson
Chuck 50% (29)
Dan 50% (29)
Poor_Franklin
6/22/12 11:26:59AM
just curious how the site as a whole feels about this.

picked this up from the debate in this thread.

i chose this forum bc it said other Padded Room topics were moved here & since that is where i would have put it before, I assumed it went here now. if not, could a mod please move it for me.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
george112
6/22/12 11:45:13AM
Dan of course for me If he's in his prime meaning now.

The dude beat fedor.

Do I think chuck in his prime could beat fedor? Hell no. Not even the fedor now that supposedly fell off
Poor_Franklin
6/22/12 12:04:26PM
this has been a dream fight of mine since the beginning of time.

i had a hard time voting, but eventually went w/ dan. most blame chuck's losses at the end of his career on his chin & age, but i think it was the step up in competition.

i also have never thought tito or randy were as good as they are made out to be (please dont misinterpret this as me saying they are not or were not ever good) and those are 4 of his biggest wins.

please dont flame, as i will not be arguing this since it is my opinion. it's all in fun. i love chuck more than dan, so hope no one gets their butt hurt.
Khaos
6/22/12 12:10:58PM
My vote would go to "Dangerous Dan"
Chael_Sonnen
6/22/12 12:12:24PM
Is this prime "drunk" Chuck

KungFuMaster
6/22/12 12:22:24PM
It's a good thing you put down your disclaimer, poorfranklin, because I was ready to open a can of whoop ass.

I voted for Dan. Stylistically, Dan is a bad match up for Liddell. Dan is sort of a "more ferocious Couture."

I'm not going into detail on how Dan would beat Liddell but it'll probably go something like this...

jae_1833
6/22/12 12:37:37PM
IMo Prime Dan is better than Prime Rampage....and Page beat Chuck....twice! Dan by straight up knockout. If anyone wants to flame, bring it on....I am and always have been a Chuck hater and swing violently from Tito's sack!
ghandikush
6/22/12 12:58:09PM
A 2005-2006 chuck vs the same Hendo right before hendo buried wanderlei.....

Hendo by GnP He would have withstood Chucks punches standing and would have raped Chucks wrestling defense. Probably within 5 rounds of utter domination Hendo would have cracked Chuckys defense for the win.
kopower
6/22/12 1:00:17PM
I went with Chuck, slightly. I think he would pick Dan apart at distance, and stuff most, if not all of his takedown attempts. Would be a hell of a fight though. The mental image of Dan's overhand right combined with Chuck's low hands was giving me pause before finally settling in on Liddell. I had flashbacks of what Rashad was able to land on Mr. Liddell.
Gogoplatapus
6/22/12 1:06:49PM
I don't know but I'll take a trilogy.
Pskinner_mma314
6/22/12 1:22:17PM
Chuck made his career on knocking people out......Dan has still never been knocked out. If Dan didn't finich him, he'd get the decision.

Ko'ing Hendo is like me trying to bang Jessica Biel........it's a nice thought, but it's never gonna happen
tn_rebel
6/22/12 1:33:30PM

Posted by jae_1833

IMo Prime Dan is better than Prime Rampage....and Page beat Chuck....twice! Dan by straight up knockout. If anyone wants to flame, bring it on....I am and always have been a Chuck hater and swing violently from Tito's sack!

Prime Dan fought prime Page and lost a decision.
FlashyG
6/22/12 2:12:43PM
I think Chuck would have won by decision.

I definitely don't see him knocking Dan out but I don't see Dan landing the H bomb on him either or having any success taking or keeping him down.

prophecy033
6/22/12 2:15:26PM
Optimus Prime for the win
Budgellism
6/22/12 3:59:28PM
It's hard to pin point what exactly is prime Dan Henderson. He's been competing with the very best his entire career and has been pretty damn consistent the entire time.

If Liddell fought Hendo around the UFC 40s-60s I would probably chose Chuck, but it would be a bit of a toss up imo. I wish we could have seen it.
pmoney
6/22/12 4:14:27PM
I had to go with Hendo. It took me all day to figure out which way I was voting. Style wise, these two are fairly similar. I had to look at the lowest common denominators, as MMA math is all I have for a fantasy fight.

Hendo went 5 rounds losing in a Pride-UFC title unification fight with Rampage. Chuck fought Rampage twice and got finished twice, not even going a combined 4 rounds.

Hendo beat Shogun half to death, winning a 5 round UD. Shogun beat Chuck by Rd1 KO.

Hendo lost by UD to Wanderlei Silva in 2000. In 2006, Hendo KOed Wandy in the 3rd round of their Pride title fight. Chuck won a decision against Silva in 2007.

Hendo won a split decision against Rich Franklin, Chuck got KO'ed in the first round.

They both KO'ed Babalu in the first, although Chuck softened Renato up with 2 RD 1 KO's before Dan got to him.

Again, it's all fantasy and speculation... But I'm rolling with Hendo.
sbulldavid
6/22/12 5:02:57PM
Great match-up I would have to go with Chuck, a prime Chuck has got good reach, hard kicks and Henderson would eat Chuck's power shots and I'm still not sure that anybody other than JDS hits as hard as Chuck
frizzzlecake
6/22/12 6:18:56PM
Decision Dan FTW
warglory
6/24/12 10:48:26AM
I'll say it, because no one else has.

Chuck Liddell is probably the most overrated fighter in the history of MMA.

Chuck didn't lose his skill as he got older, in fact, I think in his fight with Rich, he looked the best he ever was in terms of his boxing skills. Chuck gained notoriety, because people, for some reason CONSTANTLY fought his fight, and it wasn't until he fought strategic strikers (Couture), or strikers who were just not intimidated by his style (Rampage), that he began to become exposed.

Chuck was almost KOed by Alistair Overeem, but Overeem got suckered into a slugfest and paid for it.

The second two fights with Couture, Couture played into Chuck's strengths which was very odd for Couture.

Do I even need to touch on Babalu? In his book, Liddell himself didn't even understand why Babalu was so aggressive!

To put things into perspective: The dude lost a clean decision to Keith Jardine (not sure why it was split), only one fight after losing his title, which was supposedly in the prime of his career.

I am not trying to bag on Liddell, because he was an incredibly entertaining fighter, and always brought everything to the table. He deserves all the respect he gets for being a true champ, but he is entirely overrated in terms of his skillset.

Now, with that said, Hendo would WRECK Chuck any day of the week. Even Hendo during Chuck's prime in 2005, would wreck Chuck!

Unlike Chuck, Hendo has never lost due to striking, he has only lost to people who out grappled him (including Rampage, oddly enough), and that includes some of the best grappling fighters in mma history with Arona, and the Nog bros. Dan has always had a granite chin, and the same rudimentary striking acumen that he just didn't get to display as much as Chuck did.

I remember quite vividly, even on this board as I recall, that when PRIDE 33 rolled around, people did not understand why Hendo was getting a shot at the legendary Axe Murderer, like he somehow didn't deserve to take him on. Yet what was the result? A one sided beat down. Dan just needed to the opportunity, and he has yet to lose in a stand up war. Hendo is a straight up, terrible match up for Chuck.
george112
6/24/12 11:32:29AM

Posted by warglory

Chuck didn't lose his skill as he got older, in fact, I think in his fight with Rich, he looked the best he ever was in terms of his boxing skills. Chuck gained notoriety, because people, for some reason CONSTANTLY fought his fight, and it wasn't until he fought strategic strikers (Couture), or strikers who were just not intimidated by his style (Rampage), that he began to become exposed.

Chuck was almost KOed by Alistair Overeem, but Overeem got suckered into a slugfest and paid for it.

The second two fights with Couture, Couture played into Chuck's strengths which was very odd for Couture.

Do I even need to touch on Babalu? In his book, Liddell himself didn't even understand why Babalu was so aggressive!

To put things into perspective: The dude lost a clean decision to Keith Jardine (not sure why it was split), only one fight after losing his title, which was supposedly in the prime of his career.

I am not trying to bag on Liddell, because he was an incredibly entertaining fighter, and always brought everything to the table. He deserves all the respect he gets for being a true champ, but he is entirely overrated in terms of his skillset.

Now, with that said, Hendo would WRECK Chuck any day of the week. Even Hendo during Chuck's prime in 2005, would wreck Chuck!

Unlike Chuck, Hendo has never lost due to striking, he has only lost to people who out grappled him (including Rampage, oddly enough), and that includes some of the best grappling fighters in mma history with Arona, and the Nog bros. Dan has always had a granite chin, and the same rudimentary striking acumen that he just didn't get to display as much as Chuck did.

I remember quite vividly, even on this board as I recall, that when PRIDE 33 rolled around, people did not understand why Hendo was getting a shot at the legendary Axe Murderer, like he somehow didn't deserve to take him on. Yet what was the result? A one sided beat down. Dan just needed to the opportunity, and he has yet to lose in a stand up war. Hendo is a straight up, terrible match up for Chuck.

Ding ding ding
Playground_Samurai
6/24/12 9:32:33PM

Posted by warglory

So because he got some of his competition to fight his fight, he's over rated? And with Vitor and Wandy being basically the same style fighters(mainly strikers) as himself, and him beating them both, i'm curious as to how you come up with this assessment.

Also, on your insinuation that Randy somehow lost any sense he may have had in their first fight during the 2nd and 3rd. It's not that Randy's skills had declined, it's that Chuck made adjustments and improved. Randy has said that numerous times.

Granted, I may be biased cause Chuck is my favorite fighter ever, but those are facts.

As for who would've won in their prime, personally I think Hendo definately had more ways to win(either KO or on points), but Chuck definately still had a legitimate chance to win on points, also. In his prime, he had a much better chin than he did towards the end of his career. On top of that, he had pretty much the best takedown defense and great counter striking. I'd say the odds would be even.
Boo_Radley21
6/25/12 2:56:15PM
I go Iceman. Probably by decision cause back then neither guy woulda been finished
MMAcca
6/25/12 3:57:11PM

Posted by FlashyG

I think Chuck would have won by decision.

I definitely don't see him knocking Dan out but I don't see Dan landing the H bomb on him either or having any success taking or keeping him down.

Agreed.

Don't see how Hendo wins.

Can't take Chuck down, too slow to land the right hand.

Chuck takes the UD in my opinion.
MMAcca
6/25/12 3:58:27PM

Posted by warglory

BOOO!
Shawn91111
6/25/12 4:03:59PM
I enjoy how Hendo is too slow to land his right hand, yet name a fight as of late that he hasnt landed his shots, that he hasnt put a fighter on his ass with his fists.
MMAcca
6/25/12 4:10:03PM

Posted by Shawn91111

I enjoy how Hendo is too slow to land his right hand, yet name a fight as of late that he hasnt landed his shots, that he hasnt put a fighter on his ass with his fists.

Fair point Shawn.

I'm not saying he didn't knock Shogun down, but i can't remember him doing it off the top of my head.

EDIT: That's a great excuse to go back and watch that fight!
Bubbles
6/25/12 9:16:49PM
my boy Jardine beat Liddell

Hendo by KO
ghandikush
6/26/12 3:01:36PM

Posted by Playground_Samurai

Posted by warglory

So because he got some of his competition to fight his fight, he's over rated? And with Vitor and Wandy being basically the same style fighters(mainly strikers) as himself, and him beating them both, i'm curious as to how you come up with this assessment.

Also, on your insinuation that Randy somehow lost any sense he may have had in their first fight during the 2nd and 3rd. It's not that Randy's skills had declined, it's that Chuck made adjustments and improved. Randy has said that numerous times.

Granted, I may be biased cause Chuck is my favorite fighter ever, but those are facts.

As for who would've won in their prime, personally I think Hendo definately had more ways to win(either KO or on points), but Chuck definately still had a legitimate chance to win on points, also. In his prime, he had a much better chin than he did towards the end of his career. On top of that, he had pretty much the best takedown defense and great counter striking. I'd say the odds would be even.

Chuck can be overrated based on how weak almost all his oponents were that he actually beat. I mean Mezger had him ready to go but Chucks power and mental strength pulled through again when he got rushed. Alistair beat chuck standing, Rampage beat the hell out of him when he actually faced a top fighter in pride....

The UFC had to import guys to fight Chuck because they had noone great throughout Chucks prime except Vitor, who he could only deision, and Tito in their first fight.

Pride names that would have hunted Chuck and brought back the meat, Arona, prime Wanderlei, Rampage even now, Henderson, Shogun, prime Ninja... All those names would be capable of beating Chuck

Sure he beat like 2-2 great fighters in their prime, but he only fought 5.

The same goes for Wanderlei in pride, early on he beat everyone and anyones ass, but was protected from Vitor, never had to fight Shogun or nonja, and got his ass beat by Hendo and Arona.
prophecy033
6/26/12 3:17:32PM

Posted by ghandikush

Posted by Playground_Samurai

Posted by warglory

Chuck can be overrated based on how weak almost all his oponents were that he actually beat. I mean Mezger had him ready to go but Chucks power and mental strength pulled through again when he got rushed. Alistair beat chuck standing, Rampage beat the hell out of him when he actually faced a top fighter in pride....

The UFC had to import guys to fight Chuck because they had noone great throughout Chucks prime except Vitor, who he could only deision, and Tito in their first fight.

Pride names that would have hunted Chuck and brought back the meat, Arona, prime Wanderlei, Rampage even now, Henderson, Shogun, prime Ninja... All those names would be capable of beating Chuck

Sure he beat like 2-2 great fighters in their prime, but he only fought 5.

The same goes for Wanderlei in pride, early on he beat everyone and anyones ass, but was protected from Vitor, never had to fight Shogun or nonja, and got his ass beat by Hendo and Arona.

IMO, Arona and Ninja wouldn't have beaten Chuck and Wanderlei went 1-1 against both Hendo and Arona
ghandikush
6/26/12 6:20:30PM
I knew he beat dan down back when dan hadnt developed, but i wasnt aware he ever beat Arona.

Its hard to measure the older generation guys the more I think about it.
Pages: [1] 2