If an in his prime Bas Rutten went against an in

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » If an in his prime Bas Rutten went against an in
Sensoria
9/26/08 7:01:55PM
his prime Chuck Liddell or Wandy who would win. I would root for Bas, not sure how it would go. I see some advantages they have on him, but I see some advantages he has against them.
Pookie
9/26/08 7:24:09PM
Against chuck right now, i think he was tough enough to keep going forward attacking chucks body until chuck dropped first.

I think bas could land alot of rib/kidney/liver shots when exchanging with chuck.
owen1
9/26/08 7:47:30PM

Posted by Pookie

Against chuck right now, i think he was tough enough to keep going forward attacking chucks body until chuck dropped first.

I think bas could land alot of rib/kidney/liver shots when exchanging with chuck.

Ya I agree with that.Chuck's defence is very open and I think Bas could find a home for them body shots and do some damage.
Pookie
9/26/08 7:49:31PM

Posted by owen1

Posted by Pookie

Ya I agree with that.Chuck's defence is very open and I think Bas could find a home for them body shots and do some damage.

he has always had a great chin too.
cmill21
9/26/08 7:49:36PM
Bas would probably beat Chuck since Chuck has no defense on the feet, and Wand he would probably figure out a way to submit him, or catch him on the feet.
juanez13
9/26/08 7:58:39PM
I think Bas would beat both, His stand up IMO is better than Chuck's (jardine beat him with Leg Kicks and body kicks, and Bas; kicks are much better/powerful than Jardine), and same goes for Wandy (although it would make for a great fight).

Not alot of people could hang with Bas on his feet, But I dont see a good # of guys that I would pick over him. Dont have the stats right now, but from looking at him i think he could have fought at MW, doesnt look like a big guy.
mrsmiley
9/26/08 8:31:00PM
BAS wins both
Jackelope
9/26/08 9:11:55PM
Most of Bas' matches took place where striking rules limited your options. I don't think we saw the development out of him that we could have if the current UFC were around back then. I give Bas the edge on a number of people since he was well ahead of his prime. I still don't get how he couldn't ever beat Shamrock, though
bullettdodger
9/26/08 10:28:47PM
Bas FTW on all counts
cmill21
9/26/08 10:40:58PM

Posted by juanez13

I think Bas would beat both, His stand up IMO is better than Chuck's (jardine beat him with Leg Kicks and body kicks, and Bas; kicks are much better/powerful than Jardine), and same goes for Wandy (although it would make for a great fight).

Not alot of people could hang with Bas on his feet, But I dont see a good # of guys that I would pick over him. Dont have the stats right now, but from looking at him i think he could have fought at MW, doesnt look like a big guy.

He fought at HW for the majority of his career but MW is his natural weight class.
bojangalz
9/27/08 12:33:44PM

Posted by Jackelope
I still don't get how he couldn't ever beat Shamrock, though

If you ever listen to his interviews he always talks about how he had a trainer teaching him the submission game, and took his word as gold. So early on, Bas never really studied submissions, he just took whatever knowledge was fed to him.

After the second loss to ken, Bas dumped his trainer and began to study on his own. He was never submitted again(Check that...he never LOST again). A lot of people say that Ken had Bas's number. I honestly think it was just a matter of inexperience.

Like an earlier post stated, most of Bas's fights we limited rules (no closed fists to the face, etc.) We never really got to see him evolve. I don't think he could make 185, but there isn't a since guy at 205 right now that I would pick over Bas, and I'd take Bas over the majority of the top heavyweights too.
mrsmiley
9/27/08 4:50:42PM
I think if Wandy or Chuck used a strong wrestling base,they could stand a chance.I know Chuck was a wrestler,but I think the key to beating Bas is some very strong wrestling.And even at that,Bas is good off his back so it would be hard to take Bas in his prime.
mkiv9secsupra
9/27/08 11:15:37PM
The Chuck that fought Belfort would KO Bas and the Wanderlei of the past 5 years would destroy Bas.
TruestSoulSoljah
10/1/08 10:03:49AM
The Chuck that fought Belfort did not ko Belfort why would he KO Bas. I think it's cool as shit yall picked Bas. I figured you would go with the Iceman and Wandy. Chuck did great against wrestlers. I think Bas would knock him out.
Naturaldisaster
10/1/08 2:14:42PM
Against chuck I think Bas would have been able to get his Kick to land and break chuck Down. Bas would probably win by sub because he'd wear chucks legs and body out, and chuck wouldnt be able to stand, so bas would take it to the ground and most likely choke chuck out

But I think wandy would KO bas. It would be a war but Wandy would press the action alot and keep moving in to throw with bas, and once wandy gets in so close you cant get your kicks off. Wandy would most likely KO bas in the 3rd round (2nd if it were the Japanese 10 minute 1st, 5 minute 2nd round).