Which PrideFc/UFC newcomer will be champ in 08?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Which PrideFc/UFC newcomer will be champ in 08?
POLL: Which PrideFC/UFC newcomer will be champ in 08?
Wanderlei Silva 37% (19)
Mauricio Rua 33% (17)
Ryo Chonan 4% (2)
Marcus Aurelio 0% (0)
Akihiro Gono 2% (1)
These Suckas Dont have a chance!!! 24% (12)
Riggeee
10/28/07 9:16:32PM
I was just wondering what Fighter from PrideFc that is in Ufc or is going to be in the Ufc do you guys think will be champ in 08.
tuvok500
10/28/07 9:25:35PM
no body !!

well, i don't agree about these suckas don't have a chance but it was the only one with no name so !!

a simple "no body" would have been better !!

Riggeee
10/28/07 9:29:43PM
haha well if you think so.....i just think wandy will comeback.....
YOU CAN DO IT WANDY!!!!!!!
nickcuc547
10/28/07 10:27:34PM
i dont think any of them will win by the end of 08. wandy and shogun are the only two capable but shogun is at least two fights away after his loss, and i think wandy will lose to chuck which will put him on a 3 fight losing streak which will put him way out of contention. and i believe that the others just arent capable of fighting at a championship level.
Rua22
10/28/07 11:58:47PM
i say shogun once he is healthy
Jackelope
10/29/07 12:09:28AM
As long as Rampage is holding the title we know Shogun has his number. Only problem is- can shogun heal up fast enough and wreck enough opponents fast enough?
TimW001
10/29/07 1:10:39AM
Man, I don't even know anymore, I would have voted Wanderlei but I just don't know.
prozacnation1978
10/29/07 1:51:23AM
good question
shogun is too hurt i have been watching alot of old pride tapes and shogun is the best, but i know he has rampage's number already gave him a beat down at total elimination 05
to be honest i am suprised rampage has looked this good, kind of taken his game to the next level, i see him right now beating shogun in the cage, now silva if he gets past chuck he might get the next title shot,
he can beat tito, bisping, jardine, evans

now i will say this if houston wins in nov against silva, not now but say next year around this time if houston keeps winning i think he could knock him out.
if i were to say whick pride champ one you forgot about was big nog

i say big nog will be champ this year
Mastodon2
10/29/07 3:40:34AM
Nogueira will be the HW champ in 08, him or Cro Cop, if Cro Cop gets his game back together.

Shogun (provided he heals his knee up and does some serious miles on the treadmill) and Wanderlei all have a good shot at taking out Rampage. They have dominated him, and while Rampage looks to have improved they won't be slacking off either. Rampage raised his game, they will raise theirs. Then again, I consider Rampage a Pride champ with a UFC belt, I don't care what people say about UFC acquiring him by way of some other organisation after he left Pride, he learned the game in Pride and went from a green novice to a toughened veteran there.

Chonan won't be champ, at 170 there are too many tough competitors looking for the belt, and I never thought Chonan was anything special.
hippysmacker
10/29/07 4:21:11AM
I have to agree that Big Nog was the first that came to mind for me.So I just didn't vote.
ohiostate1016
10/29/07 9:33:25AM
I think that all of the divisions are so stacked right now that it's gonna be hard for any of these guys to even get a title shot.

Wandi and Shogun are way down the 205 ladder. I could say that they are behind all of the following. Wandi: Rampage, Hondo, Chuck (unless he beats him), Forrest, and Jardine. Shogun: Rampage, Hondo, Chuck, Forrest, Rashad, Jardine, and maybe Machida now that he lost in his debut.

Chonan is a 'tweener. He's fighting Karo at 170, and he has no shot there. He's lucky to be in the UFC top ten at 170. At 185, he's kinda small. Yeah, he's beat Silva before, but I don't see him getting a shot anytime soon at 85.

The other two are no where near the top of their divisions.

The only Pride newcomers that have a chance are Big Nog (Hvy) and Hondo (MW).
Believe-in-judo81
10/29/07 9:39:35AM
I won't bother with making a big in depth analysis just yet, but if he's focused and taking this seriously there's one name on that list people are going to overlook. And that's Akihiro Gono. Like I said, it remains to be seen if the change of scenery and the weight cut will rmotivate him and give him back his competitive fire or not, but if they do, I don't think there is anyone in this division he doesn't have a clear cut advantage over. Save Georges St. Pierre, who's just as big and a more complete and well rounded striker.
fedorwins1
10/29/07 10:33:43AM
Wanderlei because he has a good style to beat Rampage.
Buddharox
10/29/07 12:11:51PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I think that all of the divisions are so stacked right now that it's gonna be hard for any of these guys to even get a title shot.

Wandi and Shogun are way down the 205 ladder. I could say that they are behind all of the following. Wandi: Rampage, Hondo, Chuck (unless he beats him), Forrest, and Jardine. Shogun: Rampage, Hondo, Chuck, Forrest, Rashad, Jardine, and maybe Machida now that he lost in his debut.

Chonan is a 'tweener. He's fighting Karo at 170, and he has no shot there. He's lucky to be in the UFC top ten at 170. At 185, he's kinda small. Yeah, he's beat Silva before, but I don't see him getting a shot anytime soon at 85.

Are you for real? Wanderlei's last two losses have been to CC (when he was on fire that night, and also a HW fight), and to Hendo who gave a hell of a fight to Rampage.

As for Shogun, he was the #1 205lb fighter in the world (in most people's eyes) before his loss to Griffin.

Stay on Sherdog.
HulkRage
10/29/07 12:14:17PM
Big Nog has the best chance.
Wandy and Rua have an up hill climb to get there and I don't see them doing it in 08 that is for sure.
I don't see the rest getting the gold any time let alone in 08.
Stickan
10/29/07 1:43:50PM

Posted by tuvok500

no body !!

well, i don't agree about these suckas don't have a chance but it was the only one with no name so !!

a simple "no body" would have been better !!

pv3Hpv3p
10/29/07 2:23:11PM
My crystal ball tells me Wanderlei Silva will be champ by the end of 08... He will KO Chuck, then get a fight for #1 contender with Forrest/Jardine/HA/Machida depending on how their next couple a fights pan out...

In the meantime, the winner of Evans/Bisbing will get a title shot (I don't know why, that's just what I think)... And promptly get slammed into the 185lbs div by Rampage... Setting up a big rematch in which Wanderlei will win a much closer (than the first two fights) decision...

Don't get mad at me... It was all the crystal ball...
ohiostate1016
10/29/07 3:17:08PM

Posted by Buddharox

Posted by ohiostate1016

Are you for real? Wanderlei's last two losses have been to CC (when he was on fire that night, and also a HW fight), and to Hendo who gave a hell of a fight to Rampage.

As for Shogun, he was the #1 205lb fighter in the world (in most people's eyes) before his loss to Griffin.

Stay on Sherdog.

Just giving my opinion. I'm not sure if you know this, but a guy has to get a shot at a title to win one. Neither one of those guys are gonna be lined up for a title fight soon. Shogun b/c he lost to Forrest, and now has to reprove himself, and Wandi b/c he's lost his last 2 fights, and he's facing Chuck next. Neither one of these guys will get a shot for awhile.

At 205, Rampage has a few guys lined up for a fight. First, the winner of Evans/Bisping will most likely get the first shot (according to Dana, not me). Then, I think that Forrest and Jardine will face each other again for a shot at the 205 title. That's all of 08 right there. So neither one of those guys will be champ in 08.

So, therefore, either Big Nog (who already has a Heavyweight title fight lined up against Sylvia), or Dan Henderson (who will probably face Silva) will be the first to win a belt in 08.
bls1919
10/31/07 11:19:21PM
not to bash the thread starter, but this ? cant be awnsered until we see what happens with Sherk and to see if randy really retired
duggy
10/31/07 11:45:57PM
hendo? he is just about the only one right now to be able to challenge anderson silva at middleweight and he's definitley still top caliber at 205...im surprised i didnt see his name on the list.
GrandMaster313
11/1/07 1:12:59AM

Posted by Rua22

i say shogun once he is healthy

GrandMaster313
11/1/07 1:14:13AM

Posted by duggy

hendo? he is just about the only one right now to be able to challenge anderson silva at middleweight and he's definitley still top caliber at 205...im surprised i didnt see his name on the list.

also
jocksmall
11/1/07 9:30:42PM
i think there will be at least 3 former pride guys that are ufc champs in 08
rampage
anderson
big nog