If PRIDE and UFC merge, name two guys who should switch organizations

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » If PRIDE and UFC merge, name two guys who should switch organizations
AchillesHeel
3/23/07 9:44:52AM
Okay, for the sake of discussion, let's say this sale goes through. Name one guy in each organization who should be "traded" for each other. Try to make it a "fair" trade, and I'd like to see a reason for the fighters you've chosen (you don't have to be as long-winded as I am, of course).

My pick: Tito Ortiz for Mark Hunt

Both guys have had a title shot recently, and while they could try again someday, it won't be soon. Both guys are excellent fighters, though, and could immediately leap into the deep end of their weight class in the other organization.

Each guy brings something that the fans of the other organization appreciate. Mark Hunt would simply bash his way through the ranks of the UFC heavyweights, and American fans would love his two-fisted standup style. Tito Ortiz would be the next man in the line of photogenic American "bad boys", following in the footsteps of Don Frye and Phil Baroni. The Japanese love those guys.

Each guy would immediately pose a stiff challenge to the fighters in their weight class. Mark Hunt already has a split-decision win over Cro Cop; he'd make all of the top UFC heavyweights sweat and contend for the title just by showing up. Tito would instantly be one of the better wrestlers in PRIDE's Middleweight division, possibly equaled only by champ Dan Henderson, his standup has improved, and his submission defense is excellent.
pv3Hpv3p
3/23/07 11:26:41AM
I like the choices you made... Although, I've heard of Hunt's visa issues because of some sort of felonies (rumor) and don't know if that would work out...

Personally, I'll go with - Ortiz for Overeem

I'll stick with Tito for the reasons you stated, and the fact that no one wants to see him fight Chuck again...

And I think it would do Alistair a world of good to go to a new org and he could pose a lot of problems for many of the LH's, I mean the guy's 6'5" and would excite american fans with his good striking...

I also would like to see Joachim Hansen come over maybe in a trade for Stevenson or Griffen...
fedorwins1
3/23/07 11:32:30AM
Ortiz and Shogun
AchillesHeel
3/23/07 11:40:42AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I like the choices you made... Although, I've heard of Hunt's visa issues because of some sort of felonies (rumor) and don't know if that would work out...

I hadn't heard about visa issues. That'd be a bummer.

Personally, I'll go with - Ortiz for Overeem

Yeah, Overeem seems kinda stuck the same way Tito is, with consecutive losses to Lil' Nog, Arona, and Shogun. With his striking and guillotine chokes, I think he'd be a crowd-pleaser; in 24 career wins, he's only got 1 by Decision.

I also would like to see Joachim Hansen come over maybe in a trade for Stevenson or Griffen...

Funny, I was just thinking that it'd be fun to see Stevenson in PRIDE's LWGP.
AchillesHeel
3/23/07 11:42:14AM

Posted by fedorwins1

Ortiz and Shogun

Shogun? Really? I'm psyched to see him take on Hendo for the Middleweight belt. I think he can win it, too. I hope he stays where he is.
warglory
3/23/07 11:50:17AM
I actually think you hit the nail on the head with the Ortiz-Hunt switch.
pv3Hpv3p
3/23/07 1:40:05PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I hadn't heard about visa issues. That'd be a bummer.

just a rumor I heard when they were thinking about bringing him over for Pride33... Same thing as AleksE.

Stevenson in the GP would be cool to see... I don't think he has much of a standup game, but I think he could roll with any of those guys...
hcazlekker
3/23/07 5:21:55PM
Hunt/Ortiz is a really good trade. I agree 100%. I want to see Hunt v Fedor 2 though. . .

Due to the shorter rounds, I've always thought Allistair would rock the 205 divison in the UFC.

I'd personally trade Ortiz for Kharitonov. I've always been a fan of Kharitonov, and have frequently wondered if the cage could be used to his advantage given his frame structure and style. It has always seemed to me Sergei was never given the potential to grow in PrideFC. Through UFC's recent aquisition of Mirko and Werdum, the UFC HW competiton has stiffened significantly. I think Kharitonov would round the division out.

Speaking of no potential to grow, Nog would need to make the transition, period. As one of the top HWs (imo #2), he has gotten no love from PrideFC ever since his bouts with Fedor. His lack of publicity and matches within the past year frustrates me given his aggressive and dynamic BJJ technique. Nogueria has always been one of the first grapplers I show to people who have been jaded by the Gracies.
hippysmacker
3/23/07 7:21:58PM
If Wandy resigns a contract then Wandy for Tito. They both need a fresh start against new fighter's IMO.
randyleprechaun
3/25/07 5:12:49PM
Chris Leben for Fedor Emelinenko
Stickan
3/25/07 6:27:46PM
Wandy and BJ Penn.

Wandy because he has usually a very aggressive style that would go well with the american audience.

Penn because who wouldn't want to see a showdown between him and Aoki or any of the other LWs. Sherk is probably a worse match-up for him than Diaz, Gomi, Melendez or whoever is up there in the top in Pride.
The japanese audience also seem to love "david vs goliath" match-ups so Penn would probably be able to challenge himself with bigger and heavier guys just like he wants it.