Which PRIDE/ UFC fighter's should join a new camp

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Which PRIDE/ UFC fighter's should join a new camp
Next Page »
hippysmacker
2/21/07 3:54:17PM
In light of Davis Loiseau finally deciding to do something about his flagging career and join Greg Jackson's camp. I was wondering who else people think should switch camps and to where. It has kick-started the career of Anderson Siva IMO since he left Chutebox. Whether it was a training issue,a personal dispute, or a lack of attention I don't know.Either way he has improved since he left there IMO. In the Loiseau thread someone mentioned Randleman should leave hammerhouse. Personally I think anyone should leave hammerhouse unless wrestling and lack of alcohol is their weakness. Randleman might never fight again due to health problems, so he's out . I'm gonna go with BJ Penn. He has no defined camp but his own, and seems to train with new people all the time. If he were to join a camp with a really good work ethic I think it would benefit him. Obviously considering Hughes is in MIltech, and Diego is in Jackson's that leaves them ou( probably wouldn't fight for the WW title against teammates)t. I nominate AKA for him . There is a lot of young up and coming fighter's out of there and Bob Cook is a great trainer. I think it might force him to focus on his conditioning also. The only fighter I've ever seen train there and not be in top cardio shape is Buentello. Even Baroni comes in shape when he trains there instead of Hammerhouse.
bmaker
2/21/07 4:10:16PM
Arlovski.
hippysmacker
2/21/07 4:13:25PM
That's a good one. Arlovski need's to do something and I don't see any top 15 heavy's in their camp, Christianson is the only one I can think of.
hathcock32
2/21/07 4:49:16PM
Phil Baroni although he says its hard for him to get told what to do...he likes to be independent
hippysmacker
2/21/07 5:08:54PM
Baroni trains with AKA sometimes, and always is in shape when he does.
fedorwins1
2/21/07 5:18:04PM
Bonner, Arlovski, BJ
hathcock32
2/21/07 9:47:28PM
Dont Bonner and Arlovski train together in Chicago
OB_Juan
2/21/07 9:56:45PM
Jake O'Brien would benefit from going to a high calibre camp like ATT, AKA, Jackson's or where ever. The kid has raw talent and a ton of potential but definitely needs some fine tuning to achieve that potential.
modogg
2/22/07 1:05:04PM
That is a real good question. I agree with you that BJ would benefit from a new team, and i think if he joined Tito with Team Punishment he could work on his conditioning/motivation which seems to be his biggest hurdle. Actually, maybe joining Chuck would help him better, it is hard to determine what Team Punishment is doing these days with Tito acting and marketing everywhere. Either way both are close to home which seems to be a big deal for him, and Kendall works with Punishment.

Another guy I think would really benefit from changing camps is Travis Lutter. I am not a big fan of his, but he held his own for a bit against Silva, and I think additional help would be good for him. I am also interested to see what Jason MacDonald can do now that he switched over to Greg Jackson's Fight Team. Franklin is still obviously a step up for him, but it will be interesting. Lastly, Heath Herring may benfit from a change, though i do not know his situation all that well.

Jeffanori-Gomi
2/22/07 2:43:04PM
Forrest Griffin needs to change fight camps. He's got a lot of heart and seems to work hard but IMO his skill level hasnt changed all that much since Griffin/Bonnar 1
His striking hasnt really improved and he seems not to use all the tools hes capable of using i.e clinch, leg kicks,

I really think Forrest would benifit a camp change.
hippysmacker
2/22/07 2:47:16PM

Posted by modogg

That is a real good question. I agree with you that BJ would benefit from a new team, and i think if he joined Tito with Team Punishment he could work on his conditioning/motivation which seems to be his biggest hurdle. Actually, maybe joining Chuck would help him better, it is hard to determine what Team Punishment is doing these days with Tito acting and marketing everywhere. Either way both are close to home which seems to be a big deal for him, and Kendall works with Punishment.

Another guy I think would really benefit from changing camps is Travis Lutter. I am not a big fan of his, but he held his own for a bit against Silva, and I think additional help would be good for him. I am also interested to see what Jason MacDonald can do now that he switched over to Greg Jackson's Fight Team. Franklin is still obviously a step up for him, but it will be interesting. Lastly, Heath Herring may benfit from a change, though i do not know his situation all that well.

Lutter is a good one. I know he used to train with the Lions Den, not sure if he's still affiliated with them though. When he didn't make weight against SIlva I know there was some talk about him needing a camp to get ready, and not having one . The lions den was ahead of the game a long time ago, but I haven't seen anything that makes me think he they have progressed in a while. I doubt Lutter is still affiliated with them because on TUF 3 Shamrock said he didn't go in for that " Jujitsu stuff" and Lutter would have been a much better addition to his coaching staff than his personal trainer buddy IMO.
JoeMimic
2/22/07 2:50:22PM
As much as I hate to say it; Chris Leben. He's got potential he just needs to go somewhere that he can refine his boxing skills.
hippysmacker
2/22/07 6:43:06PM

Posted by JoeMimic

As much as I hate to say it; Chris Leben. He's got potential he just needs to go somewhere that he can refine his boxing skills.

Good point,Leben always look's soft to me. A lot of quest guys do. Randy and Tanner are the only high profilr guys I can think of coming ouit of there who were ripped. Lindland?hendo could both harden up IMO also. I hear Hendo on the beatdown radio saying he's actually trying to pit on some muscle for the Wandy fight. I know muscle isn't everything ,but if your Lindland and Leben you could get a lot more out of your 185 lbs if you were ripped IMO.
shackle
2/22/07 7:08:14PM
I have to agree BJ will never be a champ again if he doesn't change his style up. If he can't finish a fight quickly he's screwed when round 2-3 come. This will continue to haunt him until he does something about it. I will say I lost alot of respect for BJ cause he is tossing away some much great potential by not training hard enough.

I can't beleave people have so much respect for a lazy fighter. It disappoints me cause we could of maybe seen him own GSP 3 rounds if he worked harder.

Finding the right camp for BJ would the tough part. He kinda seems like the type of guy that does what he wants, and doesn't listen to no one "I want to have fun training" I remember this in his all access thing on spike. Training is not supposed to be fun it's hard work it takes dedication, but in the end it pays off. I'm sure after gassing out 2 times people have tired to get him to train harder.
RichBoy
2/22/07 8:35:05PM

Posted by OB_Juan

Jake O'Brien would benefit from going to a high calibre camp like ATT, AKA, Jackson's or where ever. The kid has raw talent and a ton of potential but definitely needs some fine tuning to achieve that potential.

Isnt O'Brein Training with Team Punishment ? I think if he learns from Tito how to ground and pound like him. He could be a real force in the heavyweight division. Also In a way O'Brein reminds me of a earliear Rashad Evans not much Skill besides there Great Wrestling. Maybe if he stays with Tito he can come full circle and be a real force.
JunCTion
2/22/07 8:44:33PM

Posted by modogg

i like bj ,chuck,herring together -
bj could benefit from strikiun and conditioning
heath could benefit from conditioning and take down defense. he needs to learn to sprawl and avoid takedowns cause he cant hold on on the ground cause the refs arent gonna stand him up like in pride
madmarck
2/22/07 8:49:17PM

Posted by OB_Juan

Didnt he train With Team Punishment b4 his fight with Herring? Everyone with him came out wearing the Flaming Beanine.

IMO i think that Patrick Cote should go to Greg Jacksons camp too. This guy has the talent he just needs to put everything toghter.
And Chris Leben too. That kids style is just to wild. It leaves him open to a technichal striker. I think he will start getting KO'd by good Kickboxers.
madmarck
2/22/07 8:51:44PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Forrest Griffin needs to change fight camps. He's got a lot of heart and seems to work hard but IMO his skill level hasnt changed all that much since Griffin/Bonnar 1
His striking hasnt really improved and he seems not to use all the tools hes capable of using i.e clinch, leg kicks,

What Camp is he with?????????????/
Everytime before one of his fights Dana white shows of his Training. It is always with different People.
I meant he guy seems to bounce around
from
Randy Couture
Babalu
Andrei Arlovski
Mike Whitehead
Shawn Tompkins
And there a few more but he has trained with all of those guys. I dont think he has a real camp. I think he just brings guys in to help him train.
hippysmacker
2/22/07 10:15:02PM
I think he is living in Las vegas and training at Randys new gym full time. I'm not sure if all the guys on that list train there reglarly or if he does bring them in fight to fight
JimiMak
2/22/07 11:24:01PM
1st I think hipppiesmacker is right in that the gym Forret trains with is a lot of guys that aren't full time at that gym (it's Randy's gym, and it might be intentionally that way).

2nd BJ is who he is. He will always be, possibly the most naturally talented jiu-jiutsu practicioner of all time, but that only takes you so far. He doesn't seem to want to train with a better team. But when Shackle called him lazy... If you were "the best" and could make a comfortable living that way, no matter how you do in competition... You must sometimes get bored and figure you don't have to train. If these last couple fights woke him up we may see a different BJ come back in the next year or two. If not, then he may well be the most disappointing prospect of all time. But he will never have to do anything else for a living, so you tell me who the loser is....
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/22/07 11:48:27PM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

What Camp is he with?????????????/
Everytime before one of his fights Dana white shows of his Training. It is always with different People.
I meant he guy seems to bounce around
from
Randy Couture
Babalu
Andrei Arlovski
Mike Whitehead
Shawn Tompkins
And there a few more but he has trained with all of those guys. I dont think he has a real camp. I think he just brings guys in to help him train.

The guys in his corner are the same dudes from Athens Georgia. I just assummed that he didnt really change camps because he hasnt shown any improvement

my mistake
hippysmacker
2/23/07 12:17:10AM
No harm done Jeffanori-Gomi. I just thought I should add Mark Hunt. He really need to be in better shape, and sharpen his ground skills. I know he's working the ground some, not sure who with though.
hathcock32
2/23/07 12:35:42AM
Yea Forrest is training at Randy's gym with a bunch of big name MMA guys. I know hes been training with Frank Trigg for his upcoming fight. That gym is stacked
RichBoy
2/23/07 1:21:24AM

Posted by hippysmacker

No harm done Jeffanori-Gomi. I just thought I should add Mark Hunt. He really need to be in better shape, and sharpen his ground skills. I know he's working the ground some, not sure who with though.

Can Hunt even loose the belly ? I thought it was just his body type. And if he can loose it he should of dropped that weight a while ago.
Manfred
2/23/07 2:23:13AM
Damn, no one mentioned Mir yet? Him and BJ have the most untapped UFC potential IMO.
madmarck
2/23/07 8:24:08AM

Posted by hathcock32

Yea Forrest is training at Randy's gym with a bunch of big name MMA guys. I know hes been training with Frank Trigg for his upcoming fight. That gym is stacked

Yeah Frank Mentioned they were partners before his fight with Miller.

And i dont know if Forrest Still trains with anyone from his original camp liek Rory. Im sure they are still friends but i havent heard anyhting about them training together since Rory was on TUF.
OB_Juan
2/23/07 10:05:59AM

Posted by RichBoy

Posted by OB_Juan

Isnt O'Brein Training with Team Punishment ? I think if he learns from Tito how to ground and pound like him. He could be a real force in the heavyweight division. Also In a way O'Brein reminds me of a earliear Rashad Evans not much Skill besides there Great Wrestling. Maybe if he stays with Tito he can come full circle and be a real force.

See IMO he needs to find a place to work on his stand up and subs rather than refining the only weapon he has. I don't think Tito is the man to make him a more rounded fighter. Like in your example of Rashad, Jackson's would probably be a better place to make him more complete.
Chris_Keppel
7/21/07 7:36:14PM
BJ Penn with Team Punishment.

Infact, a lot of people and Team Punishment.

Arlovski is a beast, he should go and train with Fedor.

"The Pit" has never impressed me much, and Chuck doesn't train very hard, could you imagine if Chuck was training his ass off at one of the top camps in the world? Of course he is 37 so it's a little late, but if he came into the octagon with a six pack, that'd be something else.
gcraig22
7/21/07 10:56:20PM
Heath Herring needs to come to train with Lutter on his BJJ. Lutter can work on his Kickboxing with Heath. They should both work with Mezger and Telligman at the Lions Den in Dallas.
juanez13
7/21/07 11:12:52PM
i dont know about arlovski goin to train with fedor, that would eliminate the chance of them fighting.......

i think the best one would be herring goin to Rampage's camp, because he could work on his stand up ALOT since the do alot of boxing, and train with Page on his take down defence, i mean he can already avoid alot of subs
( showed that everytime he fought Big Nog), and he is still so young, he is like 28 isnt he???

i think BJ wold do great with Xtreme coutures team, working on his wresteling with bigger guys, and stand up too.

also frank mir should find a new tem that pushes win to do the best he can
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Pages: [1] 2