Pride scouting?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Pride scouting?
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/8/07 4:29:09PM
First off this isnt meant as a PRIDE VS UFC thread

I love both organizations for different reasons blah blah blah....

Point of thread: do you guys think PRIDE has better scouting for new and up and coming talent than the UFC?

Its seems like they catch a lot of growing talent that make an immediate impact (or will be soon) in their respective divisions. example: Sokoudju, Aoki, Zelg, and that crazy Austrailian from Mark Hunts camp, Cung Le etc.

IMO it seems PRIDE is much better at finding talent where as the UFC is much bettter marketing their talent. IMO TUFF is a lame way to find talent but a great way to market it.

your thoughts
cowcatcher
3/8/07 5:04:00PM
they have easier access to k-1 fighters and don't require all their fighters to have exclusivity like the ufc does, i think that helps in terms of finding "new" talent
JimiMak
3/8/07 5:50:21PM
James Thompson recently said (in an interview with Boondock) that UFC pays more to the top-of-the-line (now) but PRIDE pays better for young guys. I think they're willing to put a bigger stake in a potential star, whereas UFC hedges their bets a lot more - don't want to put a big stake in potential nobody's. Different methods of scouting and contract signing, I don't really think one is necessarily better, just different. In the last few years they've both gotten some good young talent, and both sought established talent.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/8/07 6:59:37PM

Posted by JimiMak

James Thompson recently said (in an interview with Boondock) that UFC pays more to the top-of-the-line (now) but PRIDE pays better for young guys. I think they're willing to put a bigger stake in a potential star, whereas UFC hedges their bets a lot more - don't want to put a big stake in potential nobody's. Different methods of scouting and contract signing, I don't really think one is necessarily better, just different. In the last few years they've both gotten some good young talent, and both sought established talent.

It really seems the UFC is good at locking up talent they want to keep. PRIDE seems to be losing out to the UFC IMO
JimiMak
3/8/07 7:09:13PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Posted by JimiMak

It really seems the UFC is good at locking up talent they want to keep. PRIDE seems to be losing out to the UFC IMO

Recently without a doubt. Business goes in cycles, it may balance out the same way the disparities in the HW category have begun to balance.

PRIDE's policy of allowing ppl to fight other places put them in a position where their guys fought international matches and made names in other countries. It spread there name, but now they've backed themselves into a corner. These guys have been allowed to negotiate other contracts while under PRIDE contract. Dana doesn't allow that, it's a smart way to compete in business. It's how football and baseball and etc etc do the same thing.
hippysmacker
3/8/07 7:23:22PM
I think the point about Pride paying new guys and UFC paying established guys is a good one. I also think one of the reasons Pride get's more Japanese fighter's is their grand Prixs. Champs from Shooto , Deep, Pancrase and other orgs. regularly compete in them. Most UFC fighter's have an exclusive contract. It's one area I wouldn't mind seeing the UFC improve in.
madmarck
3/8/07 8:09:00PM

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

Point of thread: do you guys think PRIDE has better scouting for new and up and coming talent than the UFC?

Its seems like they catch a lot of growing talent that make an immediate impact (or will be soon) in their respective divisions. example: Sokoudju, Aoki, Zelg, and that crazy Austrailian from Mark Hunts camp, Cung Le etc.

IMO it seems PRIDE is much better at finding talent where as the UFC is much bettter marketing their talent. IMO TUFF is a lame way to find talent but a great way to market it.

your thoughts

While you may see Tuf has lame. Its making the UFC millions. You get to see fighters personality's and begin to like them. Often by the end of the season you have hardcore fans for the finalists. These fans will always pay $$ to see their boy fight. So even if Tuf never attacted the best talent (it has in some cases, ie Diego, Rashad) it makes the UFC so much money.
loller90278
3/8/07 8:26:59PM
i would start watching TUF again if crocop was a coach

i can just imagine it.. oh my thats funny

"you are BIG idiot. DO THIS AGAIN!"
hippysmacker
3/8/07 10:05:10PM
Hey Cro-cop speaks pretty good english, it could happen. I don't know if he would agree to be away from Croatia that long though. You might actaually see a lot of strikers make it deep into the show if that happened. Put them on his team and have him teach hem takedown defense. He could bring Werdum as his BJJ coach. If he beats Gonzaga and is gonna fight Randy , I think this would be a great idea for TUF 6. Legend vs soon to legend in the making. Randy vs Cro-cop. Striker vs grappler. Could get big ratings, especially if they brought in some more foreign talent that spoke english.
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/9/07 12:39:52AM

Posted by madmarck

Posted by Jeffanori-Gomi

your thoughts

While you may see Tuf has lame. Its making the UFC millions. You get to see fighters personality's and begin to like them. Often by the end of the season you have hardcore fans for the finalists. These fans will always pay $$ to see their boy fight. So even if Tuf never attacted the best talent (it has in some cases, ie Diego, Rashad) it makes the UFC so much money.

Oh ya TUFF makes tonnes of $$ for the UFC and Im a fan myself BUT more often than not most TUFF fighters at best are B level fighters with obvious few exceptions. The guys who are stars in that show IMO would have made the transition into the UFC regardless of TUFF. But it was a great way to market their talent.

Im not TUFF hatin at all, just pointing out a minor flaw because Im an MMA nerd
Broknmunky
3/9/07 2:24:37AM
TUF does make alot of money for the UFC but I agree that with the exception of few, most of the fighters are B level fighters. But you can't disagree with the coaches they pick. Most of the time it's rival coaches. Couture/Liddell, Ortiz/Shamrock, and now in TUF 5 you've got BJ Penn and Jens Pulver and a new division on TUF being the lightweights!
Jeffanori-Gomi
3/9/07 11:35:13PM

Posted by Broknmunky

TUF does make alot of money for the UFC but I agree that with the exception of few, most of the fighters are B level fighters. But you can't disagree with the coaches they pick. Most of the time it's rival coaches. Couture/Liddell, Ortiz/Shamrock, and now in TUF 5 you've got BJ Penn and Jens Pulver and a new division on TUF being the lightweights!

Ya its great to get to know the Celebrity MMA fighters a little better, I agree!