PRIDE rules not changing! and Unified Champions!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » PRIDE rules not changing! and Unified Champions!
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/30/07 12:19:16PM
The Grapevine: Pride G.P’s to Determine Unified Champions
Date submitted: 30 March 2007
Submitted by: MMA Universe

The Grapevine = It’s an Internet Rumour

So, Zuffa bought Pride... Owing to the blizzard of rumours, we doubt that came as a surprise to anyone. But what does this mean for the future of Mixed Martial Arts as we know it?

There are unquestionable benefits brought by the new Cross-Pacific bond. Finally MMA fans will have many of their questions answered as a host of fantasy bouts will now be able to take place without the hindrance of red-tape and politics.

Perhaps the greatest thing to come out of all of this though is a genuine World Title. Unlike Boxing with all it’s satellite organisations and titles, Mixed Martial Arts can now have one genuine internationally acknowledged Champion for each weight category.

A well connected source in North America has reported that Zuffa intend to consolidate the UFC and Pride Championships in to one true World Championship Title. And according to the source, Zuffa will do this through the medium of the Grand Prix format made famous by Pride FC.

The coming Pride Lightweight Grand Prix will be a test run for the new way of determining the one true champion.

And get this. According to the source Pride rules will stay the same for Pride FC events, including the round structure and judging criteria… and the Championship Grand Prix’ will be held under Pride rules!
Mastodon2
3/30/07 1:03:44PM
Is this is true, I'll give an almighty "Hallelujah!", Im so worried that The Ferttitas are going to blow the integrity of Pride down the toilet.
nellyhiphophead
3/30/07 1:10:28PM
i don't see this going down they are going to run it all under ufc rules besides keeping the ring. and we will have 155, 170, 185, 205,and 205 plus champs in pride and the ufc.
pv3Hpv3p
3/30/07 1:41:38PM
This is the best news that I've heard all week... I won't hold my breath on if it's true or not, but I think this is addressing what every Pride fan was worrying about when the Fertitta's took control...

I really hope that the UFC can look past itself, and see that there are good and bad things to the way both they and Pride ran their orgs... Hopefully they can sift throught the bullshit and come to an agreement that appeases fans from both orgs, and would truley benefit MMA in general.
Stickan
3/30/07 1:49:51PM
Wooooow... the LW GP is going to be so awesome. For the first time in MMA history, a GP with only the best fighters in the world. I'm SO looking forward to it.
pv3Hpv3p
3/30/07 2:20:13PM

Posted by Stickan

Wooooow... the LW GP is going to be so awesome. For the first time in MMA history, a GP with only the best fighters in the world. I'm SO looking forward to it.

Does anyone know if the LWGP will include UFC fighters?

I hope it would, but since their LW div is so young they might want to sort that out before sending a bunch of top guys over to fight in the GP, but who knows...
cowcatcher
3/30/07 2:27:48PM
i really hope there are some UFC fighters in the LWGP, also the unified title thing would be awesome. i have to wonder if a guy from pride holds the unified title would any defenses be in a pride ring with pride rules and vice versa, this could make training for these guys very different.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/30/07 2:37:41PM
Imagine this PRIDE would run MMA

HW-Fedor(PRIDE if he doesnt stay with Bodog)
LHW-Shogun
MW-Henderson
WW-GSP(Only UFC Champ)
LW-Takanori Gomi
nellyhiphophead
3/30/07 2:50:26PM

Posted by THE_AXE_MURDERER

LHW-Shogun
MW-Henderson
WW-GSP(Only UFC Champ)
LW-Takanori Gomi

do you think gomi can make 155 might be hard for him to do.
nubby
3/30/07 3:26:56PM

LHW-Shogun
MW-Henderson
WW-GSP(Only UFC Champ)
LW-Takanori Gomi

Putting Flame retardent on

I think Dan Henderson is overrated. I think Silva is better than him. I think Silva had a real bad night and I think he is going to come back and destroy Henderson.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/30/07 3:34:52PM

Posted by nubby

LHW-Shogun
MW-Henderson
WW-GSP(Only UFC Champ)
LW-Takanori Gomi

I think Dan Henderson is overrated. I think Silva is better than him. I think Silva had a real bad night and I think he is going to come back and destroy Henderson.

True i also believe that too but I think Wandy will pass the torch on to Shogun and let him shine...In a perfect world LOL Wanderlei would beat Henderson get his title back then retire.Then have a MW Grand Prix to decide who is the new champ which Shogun would win!
dstlvb
3/30/07 4:46:42PM
In the Sak interview on the front page all employees of DSE will resign and be hired by the new company Pride Worldwide. It will basicly be the same company except Sak. There will be plenty of UFC guys in the LWGP. Pride will adopt unified rules and UFC wieght classes. they will keep the ring however.
loller90278
3/30/07 6:32:28PM

Posted by nubby

LHW-Shogun
MW-Henderson
WW-GSP(Only UFC Champ)
LW-Takanori Gomi

if anything dan is underrated, he's been under the radar for years now, i'm glad hes getting the credit he deserves. maybe silva will win in the grudge match, but for now they're 1-1 and im leaning towards hendo for the next fight.

i also see hendo beating:
a. silva
shogun
chuck liddel
=)
cowcatcher
3/30/07 6:35:34PM

Posted by loller90278

Posted by nubby

LHW-Shogun
MW-Henderson
WW-GSP(Only UFC Champ)
LW-Takanori Gomi

if anything dan is underrated, he's been under the radar for years now, i'm glad hes getting the credit he deserves. maybe silva will win in the grudge match, but for now they're 1-1 and im leaning towards hendo for the next fight.

i also see hendo beating:
a. silva
shogun
chuck liddel
=)

you are 100% correct loller
Mayo
3/30/07 7:11:25PM

Posted by nubby

Don't worry nubby, this is not Sherdog... we actually respect eachother here.

As for this thread, there are several news sources which contradict it....

link to article

In the short term, not much will change for the average viewer aside from rules changes, which means the foot stomps and kicks to the heads of downed opponents that distinguished Pride from the UFC are no more.

link to article

Though there were few details released in terms of when fans would get their first supercard, other details released included:
• Pride will hold its fights under the Unified Rules, so fights will feature the same rules everywhere; however, Pride will continue to be fought in a ring while UFC bouts will remain in the octagon

link to article

White said Pride would adopt the same rules that are used in the United States and expressed a desire to use the so-called unified rules around the world. Soccer kicks and knees to the head were legal in Pride fights in Japan, but they were outlawed in two shows that were held at the Thomas & Mack Center.
However, White said any fight held with the Pride banner would continue to be in a ring. UFC fights are in a cage.
"This is a sport and we're going to follow the unified rules that were established in New Jersey and then in Nevada," White said. "It's a sport -- mixed martial arts -- and the sport should have the same rules everywhere. As far as I'm concerned, if an organization doesn't follow these rules, it's not MMA. It's something else, but that's not MMA."

OchoCinco
3/30/07 8:12:56PM
Can't see this happening. No grand prixs would ever take place in the USA since some Pride rules are not allowed. Dana Said it would be UFC rules, why believe someone else.
ufcfan123
3/30/07 8:32:49PM
They are same as UFC rules www.mmaweekly.com there is an article somewhere on the first page.
Spiderman
3/31/07 7:30:59PM
I wish the TS was correct , but its confirmed that they are going with the " unified rules "
Buddharox
3/31/07 7:49:02PM

Posted by nellyhiphophead

LHW-Shogun
MW-Henderson
WW-GSP(Only UFC Champ)
LW-Takanori Gomi

do you think gomi can make 155 might be hard for him to do.

He used to fight at 155, so he should be able to. He'd do better at 155 than 170 anyways.