Pride 34 results and Play-by-play

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Pride 34 results and Play-by-play
hippysmacker
4/8/07 3:51:25AM
After 40 minutes of reminiscing about Pride's past glories by the anouincers, and the comedy clip of Coleman's GP celebration when he fell trying to jump over the ropes, we finally have a fight.
Fight 1
Zelg vs Takimoto
Zelg had many chances to finish and hurt him, but instead of standing back up when he should have ,he repeatedly jumped back into Takimoto's guard. Takimoto got an omiplataa , then switched it to a kimura whenb Zelg tried to roll out and tapped him.
hippysmacker
4/8/07 4:03:52AM
FIght 2
Yvel vs Shoji
Shoji obviously out of shape, understandable since he was a last minute replacement. Shoji actually got a quick takedown after Yvel unleased some shots, and worked some ineffectual GnP. Yvel gets a heel hook. Shoji goes for an ankle lock. Yvel loses his, and escpapes then brutally GnP's Shoji. Ref stops it, Yvel 1rst rd. TKO
hippysmacker
4/8/07 4:36:25AM
Fight 3 Frye vs Thompson
Announcers talk about Frye being Thompsons hero, then they go nose to nose in the stare down. Bell rings, Thompson rushes in in. Frye stops him with a front kick then drops him with a left hook. He doesn't follow up for a second ,like he thinks Thompson is out,then he jumps into Thompson's guard. A little GnP then they are back on the feet. they get into a brawl like Frye/Takiyama for 10 seconds then Thompson gets the takedown. Frye tries a guillotine, loses it. Thompson tries a crucifix and can't get it, but gets mount after some attempted knees. Frye gives up his back , but Thompson can't do anything subwise. Thompson lads some shots and he escapes. Frye eats some knees getting to his feet. Frye looks exhausted, and gets pushed into the corner. Thompsons throwing weary arm punches and they are landing for a bout a full minute. Only the ropes , his chin, and heart are keeping Frye standing. Frye finally turns his back after taking a beating and the ref stops it. Thopmspn kneels before him in homage, and Frye pats him on the head. Frye's postfight interview is actually touching and funny. He Gives credit to Thompson. apologizes to the fans, and thanks Sakikabara and the fans. Thompson thanks Frye and Sakikabara as well. A brawl like we all expected.
JimiMak
4/8/07 4:38:49AM
Edit: made a stupid comment I realized didn't belong.
xthe_scottx
4/8/07 4:44:09AM
Two and two so far. Called Thompson perfectly and picked Butterbean to win in the first round.
BerndRealBad
4/8/07 4:55:06AM
Yes, I'd like to thank Mr. Thompson for giving me 20 points on that one...4 for 4 now, as many wins as I got in the UFC card! WAR THOMPSON!!
BadSanta
4/8/07 5:15:11AM

Posted by xthe_scottx

Two and two so far. Called Thompson perfectly and picked Butterbean to win in the first round.

I'm 2 for 2 also. I had awful picks for UFC 69 and hope to improve my record by getting some points on Pride 34.
BadSanta
4/8/07 5:23:32AM
WTF is with those long delays in Pride? Do the fighters need a break from waiting? I hope that Zuffa speeds things up in Pride from now on...
BadSanta
4/8/07 5:29:50AM
Nice! 3 and 2 now after that awesome submission by Aoki.
BerndRealBad
4/8/07 5:30:04AM
Well it is the last show under that ownership, they've gotta try and do something special I guess. Last PRIDE card I watched was same length as UFC card and had 3 more matches.

And thank you Mr. Aoki for 10 more points....now I need Arona and Fujita to come through for a sweep. They can doooo iiit..
hippysmacker
4/8/07 5:36:39AM
AFtewr a 30 minute verbal reminiscense with Trigg/ his braoadcast partner/Coleman/and randleman it looks like a fight might happen. OOps! wrong. Takad gives his farewell speach in the ring and announces Sakikabara who gives a little farewell himself, then announces........Sakaraba!. Saku comes out in his tiger mask and street clothes to thunderous cheers. Then he announces Timura. Sakaraba cries while Sakikabara sayd he wants these 2 to finally fight, but Saku cannot tonight because of contractual agreements. Saklu brifly takes the mic and says he will beback in Pride soon. Takimura says he finally wabts to fight Saku. They leave Saku takes off his mask on the way out o more cheers. Finally an hour after the last match Aoki vs Lo-A-Njoe

Njoe explodes out with some Mua thai and Aoki pulls guard , and eats a couple of shots to his facew. Njoe escapes and stands up. He goes for a flying knee. Aoki takes him down , Njoe sweeps and quickly grabs an arm and nails an armbar. Verbal sub . Aoki first round sub.
BerndRealBad
4/8/07 5:45:06AM
.......Okay, so note to anyone wanting to quickly beat someone from Brazilian Top Team, I can give you the name of someone to get in contact with. Damn this guy from ruining my predicts :(
BadSanta
4/8/07 5:45:47AM
Ten points for me! Thanks Sokoudjou!
Buddharox
4/8/07 5:45:53AM
I dunno, seemed a little too early to stop that fight. But it seals it that Sokoudjou beating Nog wasn't a fluke.
xthe_scottx
4/8/07 5:46:52AM
Terry Judo does it again. I really didn't expect this twice.
hippysmacker
4/8/07 5:49:24AM
Sokoudjou vs Arona
Sok has a huge knee brace on, the bell rings and Sok lands 2 brutal leg kicks then misses a high kick, Arona lands a leg kick of his own. They circle trade leg kicks , then Arona catches a kick in the air and goes for the takedown. Sok stuffs it , and shows his judo balance hopping on one foot and hammerfisting Arona ( like Fedor on Coleman). After about 5 hammer fist Arona tries to let the leg go, SOK throws a knee that only partially connects. Then he pursues Arona and lands a huge uppercut, knocking Arona down. He starts kicking Arona, who looks like he's unconscious, in the head. The ref jumps in and stops the fight. SOKOUDJOU wins
again. Back to back huge upsets for this guy. Un-freakin-baleavable!
xthe_scottx
4/8/07 5:53:16AM
He'd be an interesting matchup against Henderson for the 205 belt.
RichBoy
4/8/07 6:05:30AM
YEAH MONSON !
xthe_scottx
4/8/07 6:09:13AM
Wow. Round 1 submission for Monson.

PS Thanks hippysmacker for staying up and posting the play by play.
BadSanta
4/8/07 6:09:46AM
I did much better with Pride than UFC 69. Good job, Monson!
hippysmacker
4/8/07 6:11:07AM
Fujita vs Monson
They do a little ineffectual trading on the feet. Monson shhots, fujita sprawls. throws a couple of knees, they jockey for position. Monson trying to suck in the leg, Fujita trying to avoid it. Monson sweeps takes his back. Fujita stands with Monson on his back. Monson climbs down, trys to pull him down. They scramble a little. Monson trips Fujita and takes his back again. Gets a body lock. Throws a few shots to the sides of Fujitas head, sinks in the hooks and pull soff the rear naked choke. Monson wins by sub rd. 1
BadSanta
4/8/07 6:15:58AM
Looking forward to the event picks and points update!
hippysmacker
4/8/07 6:32:34AM
After A 20 minute goodbye in the ring with a bucnh of Pride fighter's they didn't even show the final 2 fights. The entire night they showed maybe an hour of fights and didn't show Zulu vs Butterbean or Nakao vs Drago. This really pisses me off. I stayed up all night and shelled out 40 more bucks for this? I was really happy when Pride bought 4 hours of programming and showed all the fights for both US shows. It showed a hopeful new trend I was dreaming the UFC might pick up on. Instead they bought 4 hours and only showed 6 fights. Serious bummer
BadSanta
4/8/07 6:33:32AM

Posted by hippysmacker

After A 20 minute goodbye in the ring with a bucnh of Pride fighter's they didn't even show the final 2 fights. The entire night they showed maybe an hour of fights and didn't show Zulu vs Butterbean or Nakao vs Drago. This really pisses me off. I stayed up all night and shelled out 40 more bucks for this? I was really happy when Pride bought 4 hours of programming and showed all the fights for both US shows. It showed a hopeful new trend I was dreaming the UFC might pick up on. Instead they bought 4 hours and only showed 6 fights. Serious bummer

What sucks is that I got to see those fights (Butterbean, at least) on the "underground" feed using WinAMP.
Manfred
4/8/07 7:25:16AM

Posted by BadSanta

Posted by hippysmacker

What sucks is that I got to see those fights (Butterbean, at least) on the "underground" feed using WinAMP.

They are on daily motion too
JunCTion
4/8/07 11:14:05AM
i cant believe what happened to me while i was sleeping.

I WENT 1 - 6 W/ ONLY 8 POINTS!!!

since the 1st event ive moved up in either the money ranks, the points & overall standings or both until now.

im only 2 wins over .500 but still in the top1000 at least

worst pride ever. what a way to go out. i stink at this game.

maybe some of you guys can improve your win - loss record by picking the opposite of what i pick.