Pride's NEW- 170-lb division.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Pride's NEW- 170-lb division.
AchillesHeel
3/29/07 2:34:20PM
The announcement that Pride will adopt the UFC's weight classes under their new ownership has one immediate implication: Pride will be getting an all-new weight class - 170 lbs - and will have to stock it with fighters.

What could a Pride 170-lb division look like..?

Frank Trigg was fairly successful in the UFC's welterweight division, and currently holds the ICON Sport middleweight belt. I didn't see his loss to Condit (who just won the WEC 170-lb belt, incidentally), but I think Twinkle Toes could make some noise here.

Nick Diaz is another former UFC welterweight. At 6'0", he's admitted that cutting to 160 lbs was a chore, and 155 would probably be beyond him. With the merger, he's almost certain to return to 170.

Akihiro Gono has lost to Denis Kang and Dan Henderson within the last 18 months, so I don't see him getting a shot at the 185-lb belt any time soon. He's a on the small side of 185 lbs, and I think he could frighten some folks at 170.

Amar Suloev is the grappling version of Gono. A tad small at 185, and he's lost to Kang and Filho in the last 2 years. On the other hand, he's got wins over Dean Lister, Yushin Okami, and Murilo Bustamante.

Shinya Aoki is a noodle at 160 lbs. A wiry, scrappy noodle who submits guyswith gogoplatas and flying triangles and crazy stuff they don't even have names for yet.

Luis Azeredo might not be under contract to Pride anymore. But maybe they could bring him back, now they have a need for more fighters.

Hayato Sakurai lost to Gomi about 15 months ago, and could maybe get a rematch. If not, 170 is certainly within reach for him and he's fought there before.

Jason Black is a Miltech man with wins over former UFC welterweights Gideon Ray and John Alessio. To me, he doesn't look big enough for 185, and he looks too big at 160.

Paulo Filho seems next in line to get a shot at Dan Henderson's 185-lb belt, and rightly so. However, I'll be surprised if he beats Hendo, and I think he could be a monster at 170. How would Filho-v-St. Pierre look on one of those "super bowl of MMA" cards?
Trapt1nw0nder
3/29/07 2:56:50PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Nick Diaz is another former UFC welterweight. At 6'0", he's admitted that cutting to 160 lbs was a chore, and 155 would probably be beyond him. With the merger, he's almost certain to return to 170. a rematch. If not, 170 is certainly within reach for him and he's fought there before.

this had not crossed my mind till now.....im pretty sure he will go back to 170 too...Gomi can easily make 155 and should if he wants to keep his belt.....so this must mean NO Gomi/Diaz rematch for the belt,unless Diaz cuts down to 155 but, can he??
hathcock32
3/29/07 3:30:46PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by AchillesHeel

Nick Diaz is another former UFC welterweight. At 6'0", he's admitted that cutting to 160 lbs was a chore, and 155 would probably be beyond him. With the merger, he's almost certain to return to 170. a rematch. If not, 170 is certainly within reach for him and he's fought there before.

this had not crossed my mind till now.....im pretty sure he will go back to 170 too...Gomi can easily make 155 and should if he wants to keep his belt.....so this must mean NO Gomi/Diaz rematch for the belt,unless Diaz cuts down to 155 but, can he??

Good question, he looked like a twig in his last fight with Gomi. He looked like he starved himself for days. I think 155 wold be tough for him. Id like to see him KO Gomi though so hopefully.
pv3Hpv3p
3/29/07 3:41:29PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by AchillesHeel

The interview I saw with him after the weigh-ins / before the fight, he said that he felt very comfortable at 160... I think he's a thin guy to begin with and was overpowered by a few of the 170lbers that he fought (Karo and Diego)...

Too bad for Nick, IMO, he was going to come into his own at 160, but I still think he will do well back up at UFC's WW class.

I'll agree that I couldn't see him making down to 155 though...

That brings up another question...

Will Pride's LWGP be fought at 160 ir 155???

If they keep it at 160 at least we might be able to see Gomi / Diaz II

EDIT: Here's a source for the interview (i think, I can't pull it up at work)
Dadaman
3/29/07 3:42:39PM
Gomi and Diaz will fight again.

A 170 class would also benefit guys like Ryo Chonan, and maybe even Minowa.
hippysmacker
4/5/07 12:17:32PM
Since you beat me to it. I'll just add these
T.Gomi- Stated before Pride 33 he wanted to fight Hughes and GSP. The rumors mill claimed that pride made their Division 160 to accomadate his size. He's a bigger 160 .

R. Chonan- A small 183 , and has been losing a lot at that weight to most of the upper level guys he has fought since 2005.

K. masaki- A small 183 and was manhandled by Trigg. He could make the weight and would be a japanese favorite. I t would make it more likely he could keep a fight standing.
jaba
4/5/07 10:34:49PM
dont forget zulu hell be a force at 170
JimiMak
4/6/07 12:06:51AM
Two things:

1st: and hippysmacker beat me to it, Gomi is (i think) almost to big for 155 so you have to figure he could be a force. Also the Gomi/Diaz II could be at 170, could change things either way.

2nd: I think Paulo wants to be champ @ the bigger weight class, since it seems not only possible but probable, but yeah if he goes to 170 he'd be unstoppable. And I think he'd beat Rich, fairly easily.