Pride Lightweight Grand Prix

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Pride Lightweight Grand Prix
AchillesHeel
4/5/07 5:10:51PM
I was thinking about who might participate in Pride's 16-man LWGP, now that UFC fighters will be invited to participate. I think this event will be at 155 lbs, not 160, but I don't know if that's been confirmed.

Anyway, I was just thinking about what a 1st Round card could look like.

Takanori Gomi vs. Tyson Griffin
Sean Sherk vs. Marcus Aurelio
B.J. Penn vs. Shinya Aoki
Hayato Sakurai vs. Melvin Guillard
Gilbert Melendez vs. Joe Stevenson
Jens Pulver vs. Mac Danzig
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Hermes Franca
Mitsuhiro Ishida vs. Kenny Florian

And this isn't even that "Super Bowl of MMA" they've been talking about. Hey, it ain't impossible...
mkiv9secsupra
4/5/07 5:31:17PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I was thinking about who might participate in Pride's 16-man LWGP, now that UFC fighters will be invited to participate. I think this event will be at 155 lbs, not 160, but I don't know if that's been confirmed.

And this isn't even that "Super Bowl of MMA" they've been talking about. Hey, it ain't impossible...

as much as i would LOVE to see this....i dont think they will have that many top competitiors...you know they are gonna throw a few "gimme" fights for some of the fighters. i doubt penn will compete as well as franca and sherk.
johny_rotten
4/5/07 5:44:48PM
I doubt you will see that many UFC fighters. They are expecting this to start in Jun. That doesn't leave the UFC alot of time to intergrate the 2 brands. I also doubt you will see BJ and Jens because the UFC won't want to jepordize the coach PPV. It doesn't look like Sherk would be healthy enough to make that card, and he hasn't defended his belt in the UFC, so I doubt they would send him to pride before he can defend against Franca.
pv3Hpv3p
4/5/07 5:46:41PM
thanks alot Achilliesheel... I'll be busy wiping drool off of my keyboard before my boss gets back in here

I really like the matchups that you have there... It would make anyone happy just to see Penn / Aoki alone

how do you think the second round would end up? I got:

Gomi
Sherk
Penn
Sakurai
Melendez
Pulver
Kawajiri
Ishida

Might as well go on...

Sherk
Penn
Melendez
Kawajiri

And then...

Sherk
Melendez

Wow... How'd that work out? I guess I got Gilby taking the whole thing?

loller90278
4/5/07 5:47:54PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

i dont think bj nor pulver will enter, too risky for their upcoming fight.. i think sherk is still out with that injury, maybe maybe not.

Gomi
Sakurai
kawajiri
melendez
hansen
aoki
ishida

will all be there for sure

people who might enter will be luis azeredo, mac danzig, i guess florian, hopefully ribiero and maybe 2 or 3 less known fighters

nonetheless this will be probably the best GP.. minus the 2000 gp.
pv3Hpv3p
4/5/07 5:54:54PM
Just thought of this... but where is? / what about? Joachim Hansen???

He should def be on that list...
hippysmacker
4/5/07 5:58:04PM
I think Melvin, Joe, Fisher, and Florian are the most likely UFC guys to go over. I would love to see Melvin vs Gomi, or see him get leg kicked till he passed out by Sakarai.
Trapt1nw0nder
4/5/07 6:01:27PM
where is Frankie Edgar?....replace his with Tyson
pv3Hpv3p
4/5/07 6:05:10PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

where is Frankie Edgar?....replace his with Tyson

Ah, very good point... I forgot about him too... maybe we could see a Edgar / Hellboy in there somewhere?
Mayo
4/5/07 6:26:37PM
What about Spencer Fisher? I think he should be given another chance. Did you see his awesome fight with Sam Stout at UFC 58? And I'm sure he could cut the weight.
AchillesHeel
4/5/07 6:58:36PM
The first round is expected to be in late May. The 2nd round could therefore be July or August. The semi-finals and finals could then be October or November.

...Joe Stevenson, Melvin Guillard, Kenny Florian, and Dokonjonosuke Mishima have fights in a couple of hours, and could perhaps fight again in 6-7 weeks if they avoid injury.

...Sean Sherk and Hermes Franca have a title fight scheduled for UFC 73 on July 7.

...BJ Penn and Jens Pulver have a fight scheduled for the TUF 5 Finale, June 23, and the winner seems likely to get the next title fight.

...Tyson Griffin, Clay Guida, and Jorge Gurgel are scheduled to fight at UFC 72 on June 16.

A more realistic card:

Takanori Gomi vs. Jamie Varner
Hayato Sakurai vs. Spencer Fisher
Gilbert Melendez vs. Sam Stout
Shinya Aoki vs. Din Thomas
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Frank Edgar
Mitsuhiro Ishida vs. Joachim Hansen
Marcus Aurelio vs. Mac Danzig
Luiz Firmino vs. Dan Lauzon
FortySixBelow
4/6/07 4:35:25AM
Well it looks like Stevenson and Guillard are going to be in awesome shape..

Mishima shouldnt show up... yes i am pouting about his poor performance tonight..

And Florian has a strength and conditioning coach so he is set!

AchillesHeel
4/6/07 9:31:50AM

Posted by FortySixBelow

Well it looks like Stevenson and Guillard are going to be in awesome shape..

And Florian has a strength and conditioning coach so he is set!

Right-o.

A more realistic card, Take 2:

Takanori Gomi vs. Sam Stout
Hayato Sakurai vs. Spencer Fisher
Gilbert Melendez vs. Melvin Guillard
Shinya Aoki vs. Din Thomas
Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kenny Florian
Mitsuhiro Ishida vs. Joachim Hansen
Marcus Aurelio vs. Mac Danzig
Luiz Firmino vs. Joe Stevenson