Pride Light Weight GP Fight Card

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Pride Light Weight GP Fight Card
Next Page »
ezkl2517
4/13/07 8:14:03PM
This is according to www.kakuto.com. I got it from Sherdog. I'm sure the roster will prob change about 15 times but as of now it is as follows:

Takanori Gomi

Hayato Sakurai

Tatsuya Kawajiri

Mitsuhiro Ishida

Shinya Aoki

Gilbert Melendez

Joachim Hansen

Luiz Azeredo

Marcus Aurelio

2 to 3 UFC representatives

Others

Not so sure what the weight limit will be, but theres already talk (and a poster) that suggests theres gonna be some WW in the mix too. Please send any info you got on this and sorry if its already posted i didnt check....Thoughts???
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Ydoc
4/13/07 10:01:01PM
If Hughes can cut it he'll win it. I don't see anyone with the sprawl to deny him the takedown. Hughes at that weight is a very scary thought... someone can get hurt.
jdubs
4/13/07 10:09:57PM
BABABOOEY
D-Boy
4/13/07 10:16:24PM

Posted by Ydoc

If Hughes can cut it he'll win it. I don't see anyone with the sprawl to deny him the takedown. Hughes at that weight is a very scary thought... someone can get hurt.

Aoki could get the sub potentially
Northrend
4/13/07 10:16:40PM

Posted by Ydoc

Meh I think people like Kawajiri would beat him cause they could keep his takedowns stuffed and punish him standing. Also at this weight I bet he is gona be sucked dry.

BTW My pick to win whole thing is Hayato Sakurai =)
ezkl2517
4/13/07 11:36:08PM
I think Aoki can take the whole tournament if they let him wear his Rainbow Pants!!!!!!!
Aoki by scaring the shit outta everyone!!

WAR Rainbow Pants!!!
hippysmacker
4/14/07 1:07:29AM
If BJ enters, I'll take him. If not I agree with Aoki.
ButterBalls
4/14/07 1:15:34AM

Posted by hippysmacker

If BJ enters, I'll take him. If not I agree with Aoki.

I second this. I think Penn can take any of them, including Hughes at that weight. Aoki is recockulous on the ground though.
roadking95th
4/14/07 1:58:28AM
My choices would have to be, in order..Hughes, Penn, Sakurai, then Melendez. I just think they would hold up better with two matches per day. I am not too concerned with Hughes making weight if the class is at 160, though 165 would be great.
Cobbs666
4/14/07 2:12:59AM

Posted by Ydoc

hansen will ko hughes' ass
Lets_Do_This
4/14/07 2:48:44AM
I'm fairly certain that it's JUST a poster and the fighters on it aren't actually confirmed for the tourney. Seeing as how it doesn't make sense for Matt Hughes to have to cut when he's already officially slated to fight Serra this year and for Sanchez to prepare and cut weight to participate in a GP a little more than a month after a fight.

Remember how Hunt and Wanderlei were on the poster for Kamikaze???

Pride pulls this stuff all the time.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
JimiMak
4/14/07 3:00:14AM
I don't take the faces on this poster as confirmed, although we'd all love it. I do have to pick Melendez to wn it all, no matter who is in it. I'm predicting this as his year to rise to the top. I also think that no matter when it happens, Melendez/Penn will be fight of the year.
Svartorm
4/14/07 3:29:50AM
I'd go with Sakurai as well. Gomis in a slump, Aoki rules on the ground, but it small even for a LW and gets tagged on the feet too much, and I think Melendez, although a great fighter, lacks the experience at the moment. I'm sure his time will come, but I don't think its going to be for another year or so.
VanellaL47
4/14/07 4:28:49AM
I'd for sure go with Hayato Sakurai.
Mastodon2
4/14/07 7:26:22AM
Matt Hughes wont be in it.

I'd give it to Shinya Aoki, his judo takedowns are great, and so is his sub game.
Gomi could be another potential competitor, he should come back stronger after the "loss" to Diaz, and he striking could get him through.
Orlandi0053
4/14/07 4:37:20PM
I wouldnt be surprised if Melendez pulls off some upsets maybe even beating gomi but will have to see when the time comes.......
loller90278
4/17/07 8:55:55AM
ill take gomi FTW

gomi vs sach in the final match

i hope diego enters so his lack of talent shows
cowcatcher
4/17/07 11:22:39AM
i could see a handful of these guys winning it, and unfortunately i think theres about a 0% chance we will get to see hughes in it due to his title shot with serra. im very interested to see which ufc LWs will be there, but aoki, mach, gomi, and even melendez could all win this based on who seems to be in it right now. the GPs are always as fun to watch as anything else in MMA and there are so many good LWs out there, especially after the bros F bought pride, that this could be one of the best to date.
thepitbull00
4/17/07 2:37:35PM
I would love to see Hansen and Gomi go at it.
hippysmacker
4/17/07 2:51:55PM
I would like BJ, Stevenson, and Florian to enter. I wanted to see Melvin in their against some stand up fighter's, but I think his cocaine drug test will prevent him from being sent.
cowcatcher
4/17/07 2:54:16PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I would like BJ, Stevenson, and Florian to enter. I wanted to see Melvin in their against some stand up fighter's, but I think his cocaine drug test will prevent him from being sent.

i could see florian and stevenson, but when is bj's fight with jens because that may keep him out of the gp
pv3Hpv3p
4/17/07 3:02:59PM
I would love to see a Melendez / Aoki final... I'm not sure who'd take it but it'd be a great fight... Mach always has a chance too, and I like Hansen... Maybe Mach / Hansen rematch and the Melendez / Aoki fight as the semifinals... Man there are so many possibilities... I love Pride's GP's!!!
hippysmacker
4/17/07 3:04:16PM
Your probably right, but BJ could be a 2nd round injury replacement or something.Probably not because the finale fight is in late june and Sherk/Franca is a couple weeks after. Most likely Winner's of each fight go for the belt 3 or 4 months later.
JBatch
4/17/07 3:12:01PM

Posted by hippysmacker

If BJ went in IMO he would take it and if he fought Aoki it would be the most ill ground war ever.

As for possible UFC entries I would like to see Stevenson, Huerta, Florian and Guillard? I do not think Hughes would go and Diego just needs to put his head on straight before he attempts to enter a tourney of this caliber.
Mastodon2
4/17/07 3:22:54PM
Man I love Pride GPs, they are another one of the reasons that old skool Pride held a major edge over UFC, they are such an exciting format, the possibilities for great match ups is huge!
hippysmacker
4/17/07 4:46:06PM
Dana said in his interview today that no UFC fighter's will be in the grand prix
keith-hackney1
4/17/07 5:13:08PM
what about diaz, will he participate ???
r they going to fight in a ring or cage and will the rules be the same as ufc from now on ???
pv3Hpv3p
4/17/07 5:15:57PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

what about diaz, will he participate ???
r they going to fight in a ring or cage and will the rules be the same as ufc from now on ???

He's on a six month suspension for the pot thing, so I think he might unfortunately miss it

Ring because it will be a Pride thing

under the new unified rules (UFC rules), because that's what all the show will be from now on
ezkl2517
4/17/07 7:20:41PM
Is there any official regulation on the Rainbow Pants yet? I thought i read somewher that the pants were a no go as soon as the Zuffa people bought pride. I was just wondering, I'm gonna be pissed if the pants are gone.
Northrend
4/18/07 12:54:14AM

Posted by ezkl2517

Is there any official regulation on the Rainbow Pants yet? I thought i read somewher that the pants were a no go as soon as the Zuffa people bought pride. I was just wondering, I'm gonna be pissed if the pants are gone.

The sexah pants are gone. Aoki's magic pants /cry
Pages: [1] 2