Pride Heavyweight Title Shot

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Pride Heavyweight Title Shot
kublakhan
3/22/07 3:28:45PM
Who should get the next title shot in the heavyweight division for Pride?
cowcatcher
3/22/07 4:42:39PM
its been discussed already but barnett is the clear choice for me
Manfred
3/22/07 5:10:20PM
Agreed on Barnett

MSNBC's article on Hendo mentioned Lindland is fighting for the title:

Henderson’s gym, Team Quest in Murrieta, Calif., has a history of producing MMA fighters with a background in wrestling who quickly adapt to fist and kick fighting techniques. Randy Couture, who holds the UFC heavyweight title, and Matt Lindland, who is set to face Russia’s feared Fedor Emelianenko for the Pride heavyweight title, both come from wrestling backgrounds.

But I thought that fight was in Bodog?
cowcatcher
3/22/07 5:12:42PM
it is and i wonder if that was a typo with them meaning he is the belt holder at pride. i would be very surprised to see him defend the pride title in a bodog sanctioned event
kublakhan
3/22/07 6:47:18PM
I pretty much agree with the Barnett pick; I just wanted to see what everybody else thougtht. My only concern is Barnett's last loss to Noguiera and whether or not anybody thought that should prevent Josh from getting the title shot. Also, is it true that Barnett isn't going to be fighting at Pride 34 now?
Stickan
3/22/07 8:34:27PM
Nog beat Barnett pretty clearly though. I don't want to see a Fedor - Nog 3 but he's the most legit contender.
jdubs
3/22/07 8:48:16PM
butterbean, do you have to even ask such a obvious question
tyo
3/22/07 10:16:47PM
giant silva
ButterBalls
3/22/07 10:19:34PM

Posted by jdubs

butterbean, do you have to even ask such a obvious question

definetly
ac_gi
3/23/07 2:19:39AM
With the new ownership...

Randy.
kublakhan
3/24/07 12:03:12AM
I could see the Couture fight possibly. Definitely would be a fun one to watch.
Fumar-Fortiuse
3/24/07 12:49:29AM
I can't agree with the Barnett pick when Noguiera beat him in his last fight.
migo
3/24/07 12:53:29AM

Posted by Stickan

Nog beat Barnett pretty clearly though. I don't want to see a Fedor - Nog 3 but he's the most legit contender.

I didn't see anything really clear about either fight. They're 1-1. Nog is 0-2 against Fedor. Barnett and Nog are even with Barnett's win in the first fight being more impressive than Nog's in the second fight. He's definitely the clear choice for the title shot.
hippysmacker
3/24/07 3:34:15AM
Besides the fact that Fedor/barnett are freinds, and said they might not fight eachother, I think this is a completely different discussion if the UFC did buy Pride. If that happens, I think the winner of Randy Cro-cop (if he beats Gonzaga) will be the opponent. I want Randy to beat Cro-cop , but I think he's definately the underdog. If he pulls it off, I still wouldn't want to see him fight Fedor. These guys are like American/Russian counterparts to me. All class. I don't think I would enjoy them beating eachother up.
hathcock32
3/24/07 4:02:34AM

Posted by hippysmacker

Besides the fact that Fedor/barnett are freinds, and said they might not fight eachother, I think this is a completely different discussion if the UFC did buy Pride. If that happens, I think the winner of Randy Cro-cop (if he beats Gonzaga) will be the opponent. I want Randy to beat Cro-cop , but I think he's definately the underdog. If he pulls it off, I still wouldn't want to see him fight Fedor. These guys are like American/Russian counterparts to me. All class. I don't think I would enjoy them beating eachother up.

I agree. I am a huge Randy fan, and to be honest going into his fight agianst Sylvia, i was just hoping he wouden't get hurt. It was really hard to watch him get KO agianst Chuck. The man is a legend. He's the coolest, laid back, guy ive ever seen. When he beat Sylvia, i had goosebumbs all over, i was so proud of the guy, i felt weird, didnt no what to do. It reminded me of a few years back when i got into the basic High school fights. fight or when ur friends fight got in actual fights, and how much the adrenaline is pumping, and that feeling you have when you or one of your friends kicks someones ass. Randy Couture is God!
madmarck
3/24/07 11:44:48AM

Posted by cowcatcher

its been discussed already but barnett is the clear choice for me

For sure. Barnett is really the only top 5 guy not to get a shot.