IF PRIDE HAD A HALL OF FAME WHO WOULD YOU INCLUDE???

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » IF PRIDE HAD A HALL OF FAME WHO WOULD YOU INCLUDE???
Next Page »
mrsmiley
11/27/07 5:55:43PM
I don't think this has been done,but if it has,shame on me!

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have put together a list of ten PRIDE hall of famers.Curious to see who you guys would put on your ten for PRIDE HOF list.

1.Kazushi Sakuraba
2.Wanderlei Silva
3.Fedor Emeilynekio
4.Antonio Nogueira
5.Mirko Crocop
6.Dan Henderson
7.Maurico Rua
8.Mark Coleman
9.Igor Vovchanzyn
10.Quinton Jackson

I tried to base my order just not on records or titles head,but also on how I thought each fighter rated with the fans as well.
hippysmacker
11/27/07 6:08:52PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I don't think this has been done,but if it has,shame on me!

I've been thinking about this for a while now and have put together a list of ten PRIDE hall of famers.Curious to see who you guys would put on your ten for PRIDE HOF list.

1.Kazushi Sakuraba
2.Wanderlei Silva
3.Fedor Emeilynekio
4.Antonio Nogueira
5.Mirko Crocop
6.Dan Henderson
7.Maurico Rua
8.Mark Coleman
9.Igor Vovchanzyn
10.Quinton Jackson

I tried to base my order just not on records or titles head,but also on how I thought each fighter rated with the fans as well.

Excellent thread idea .I would add Gomi, Mach, Frye, and Chonan had one great year their so he's iffy.
cowcatcher
11/27/07 6:13:57PM
i would also probably add yoshida, and fujita, maybe not the best w/l records(especially yoshida) but the fans there love those guys more than just about anyone.
Copenhagen
11/27/07 6:14:45PM
Gracie hunter would def be #1 Hall of Famer.
TimW001
11/27/07 6:19:06PM
Defiantly all of the people who have won tourney's over the years.
cmill21
11/27/07 6:25:25PM
I'm curious if there will be an mma hall of fame. I know the UFC probably won't start a Pride HOF, but someone should start an MMA HOF.
TimW001
11/27/07 6:28:27PM

Posted by cmill21

I'm curious if there will be an mma hall of fame. I know the UFC probably won't start a Pride HOF, but someone should start an MMA HOF.

I'm sure within time alot of websites will start having MMA HoF's. For example, Sherdog now has fighter ranking, including p4p, and I'm sure in time they will have a HoF.
Mastodon2
11/27/07 6:43:25PM
Not ranked in order of their need to be in there, simply a list of guys who should be in it;

Fedor Emelianenko
Cro Cop
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Mark Coleman
Kazushi Sakuraba
Quinton Jackson
Igor Vovchanchyn
Shogun

Off the top of my head, those are the guys that really need to be in there.

I've probably missed some really obvious ones, but hey, its been a long day!
TimW001
11/27/07 7:05:22PM

Posted by Mastodon2

Not ranked in order of their need to be in there, simply a list of guys who should be in it;

Fedor Emelianenko
Cro Cop
Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
Mark Coleman
Kazushi Sakuraba
Quinton Jackson
Igor Vovchanchyn
Shogun

Off the top of my head, those are the guys that really need to be in there.

I've probably missed some really obvious ones, but hey, its been a long day!

I want to know, even off the top of your head, how did you forget Wanderlei?
cmill21
11/27/07 7:12:30PM
IT'S BEEN A LONG DAY! lol.
Pitbull09
11/27/07 8:06:30PM
Pride would be an easier org to choose their Hall of Fame just because your pretty much a big name or a low card guy getting beat up by a big name.

Wanderlei
Shogun
Big Nog
Fedor
Henderson
just to name a few
warglory
11/27/07 8:59:40PM
My top 10, random order:

- Fedor Emelianenko
- Kazushi Sakuraba
- Mirko Filipovic
- Wanderlei Silva
- Igor Vovchanchyn
- Dan Henderson
- Big Nog
- Quinton Jackson
- Ricardo Arona
- Mauricio Rua
TimW001
11/27/07 9:11:14PM
No one is thinkin' Gomi? Weird.
Californiastrangler
11/27/07 9:22:15PM
1.Kazushi Sakuraba
2.Wanderlei Silva
3.Fedor Emeilynekio
4.Antonio Nogueira
5.Mirko Crocop
6.Dan Henderson
7.Maurico Rua
8.Mark Coleman
9.Igor Vovchanzyn
10.Quinton Jackson
11.Giant Silva
12.Zulu
13.Sean Hare
14.Eric"Butterbean"Esch
mrsmiley
11/27/07 9:42:17PM
I was thinking of adding Gomi,Frye,Herring,Fujita,etc.
Since i only allowed myself ten slots though,well it was a tough call!

Maybe MMA playground could start their own MMA hall of fame and the members could vote just like they do for the top ten list?
TimW001
11/27/07 10:10:15PM

Posted by mrsmiley

Maybe MMA playground could start their own MMA hall of fame and the members could vote just like they do for the top ten list?

That's a really great idea.
Copenhagen
11/27/07 10:16:03PM
I think some of you are mistaking very good fighters and fighters who have helped change the org as a whole.

Just because someone held the title for a period of time, I don't think that would put them in a hall of fame.

IMO people like Sakuraba and Igor were in an entirely different status in Pride then Shogun, Rampage, Hendo.

Then again, Pride didn't really last long enough for their HOF to be anywhere close to the double digits.
stickyhash421
11/27/07 10:17:08PM
wasnt impressed with quinton in the pride days, only a few fights, i do like his fights with wandy and shogun tho who are pride hall of famers
cmill21
11/27/07 10:24:07PM

Posted by mrsmiley

I'm in for one. Make it like real HOF's where theres a ballot of people elligable and you only get so many votes so only ceartain amounts of people get in.
JimiMak
11/27/07 11:24:59PM

Posted by Copenhagen

I think some of you are mistaking very good fighters and fighters who have helped change the org as a whole.

Just because someone held the title for a period of time, I don't think that would put them in a hall of fame.

IMO people like Sakuraba and Igor were in an entirely different status in Pride then Shogun, Rampage, Hendo.

Then again, Pride didn't really last long enough for their HOF to be anywhere close to the double digits.

What are you talking about?!? One of my biggest issues was gonna be only naming 10.

In addition to the obvious ones that have been named (all champs and gp winneres have to go in auto)

Takada, Rickson, James Thompson, Antonio Inoki (non fighter, obviously; major business part), Sakakibara (non fighter), the original pres that hung himself (sorry don't knwo his name), Carlos Newton (maybe), Josh Barnett... prob'ly a few more.

Could also name quite a few guys that looked like future HOF'ers when it folded.

In ten years they did so much for MMA I wish ppl wouldn't belittle their contributions to the sport.
warglory
11/28/07 1:35:22PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Copenhagen

What are you talking about?!? One of my biggest issues was gonna be only naming 10.

In addition to the obvious ones that have been named (all champs and gp winneres have to go in auto)

Takada, Rickson, James Thompson, Antonio Inoki (non fighter, obviously; major business part), Sakakibara (non fighter), the original pres that hung himself (sorry don't knwo his name), Carlos Newton (maybe), Josh Barnett... prob'ly a few more.

Could also name quite a few guys that looked like future HOF'ers when it folded.

In ten years they did so much for MMA I wish ppl wouldn't belittle their contributions to the sport.

While I agree with you that there have been many competitors worthy of a hall of fame, I think PRIDE was more about creating superheroes than actual competition. While they did indeed have incredible matchups between quality fighters, just about every fighter was fed cans too on a consistent basis. It seems that the PRIDE roster was made up of bad to decent Japanese fighters for the sole purpose of padding the records of the big kahunas. To me, there are only a few fighters deserving of the title of a hall of fame induction. People like Coleman, Frye and Barnett I don't think should even be in the PRIDE hall of fame because they created their reputations in the UFC. None of them did enough in PRIDE to warrant a hall of fame status.
cmill21
11/28/07 1:53:29PM
Coleman won the 2000 GP.
warglory
11/28/07 2:52:16PM
Right, I will give him that, but it wasn't exactly against high quality opponents. He beat Igor in the finals, so I consider it a legit title acquisition. However, what else has he done with his career in PRIDE?
MMAnomale
11/28/07 2:53:44PM
Sakaraba, Wandy, Shogun, Fedor, Big Nog, CroCop and a few others, maybe Hunt.
Mastodon2
11/28/07 3:45:41PM

Posted by TimW001

I want to know, even off the top of your head, how did you forget Wanderlei?

Damn it was a long day!

You can check my top 10 favourite fighters, though, he is in there!
Copenhagen
11/28/07 7:08:40PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Copenhagen

Rickson had 2 fights in Pride (and they were against the same person, Takada) and James Thompson IMO def doesn't deserve to be in a Pride HOF.

I guess we just disagree on the standards of a HOF.
Mayhem13
11/28/07 7:33:58PM
Sakuraba
Fedor
Wanderlei
Cro Cop
Gomi
Shogun
Big Nog
Dan Henderson
Sakaurai
Frye
JimiMak
11/28/07 7:39:24PM

Posted by Copenhagen

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by Copenhagen

Rickson had 2 fights in Pride (and they were against the same person, Takada) and James Thompson IMO def doesn't deserve to be in a Pride HOF.

I guess we just disagree on the standards of a HOF.

W/o Rickson helping out on those two cards they prob'ly wouldn't have lasted nearly as long. Founding/forming contributions I think go a long way.
Taylor8766
11/28/07 10:57:33PM
Fedor
Wanderlei
Hendo
Minotauro
Cro Cop
Shogun
Rampage
Gomi
Sakuraba
Arona

That would be my top ten hall o famers
JimiMak
11/28/07 11:30:31PM

Posted by Taylor8766

Fedor
Wanderlei
Hendo
Minotauro
Cro Cop
Shogun
Rampage
Gomi
Sakuraba
Arona

That would be my top ten hall o famers

That's a good list of ppl that all should get in for various reasons. You also gotta include the guys who were top at one time and got taken down by the new breed.
Pages: [1] 2