UFC 82 "PRIDE OF A CHAMPION" - 1st MARCH - Fight Card Discussion

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 82 "PRIDE OF A CHAMPION" - 1st MARCH - Fight Card Discussion
Next Page »
POLL: WHO WINS AND HOW?
SILVA KO/TKO 40% (48)
HENDERSON KO/TKO 21% (25)
SILVA SUBMISSION 7% (9)
HENDERSON SUBMISSION 2% (3)
SILVA DECISION 3% (4)
HENDERSON DECISION 26% (32)
CornishMMA
1/22/08 10:36:16AM
UFC 82: MARCH 1st IN COLUMBUS, OHIO venue: Nationwide Arena (BOUTS IN ORDER)

MAIN EVENT

(20-4) Silva -VS- Henderson (22-6)

CO-MAIN EVENT

(11-3-1) Kongo -VS- Herring (27-13)

SWING BOUT

(17-4) Leben -VS- Sakara (12-6)

MAIN CARD

(32-6) Tanner -VS- Okami (21-4)

(15-2-1) Fitch -VS- Wilson (13-3)

PRELIMINARY FIGHTS

(11-5 ) Arlovski -VS- O'Brien (10-0)

(6-4) Cummo -VS- Fioravanti (11-3)

(9-2) Koscheck -VS- Hazelett (10-3)

(17-2) Sanchez -VS- Bielkheden (12-5)

(11-3) Gurgel -VS- Halverson (16-5)

kevietre
1/22/08 10:53:22AM
Why doesnt Dan Henderson have his Pride FC belt in the picture? Is it not a unification match?
The8One5
1/22/08 10:57:24AM
i still see it going to anderson but if hendo cant take him out man i just dont see him ever losing the belt which wouldnt bother me to watch him dismantle everybody. prediction, hendo goes have a granite chin but anybody hit enough times flush will go down just ask cabbage i didnt think anybody could KO him but tank took him out with one punch, silva has the tools to unify the belts i feel bad for dan cos i wanted him to beat rampage and didnt want him to take this fight cos i think anderson would maul rampage chute boxe fighters are just too much for him imo, in the end it should be a early sub or tko in the 3rd or this could be the only time silva wins a decision as champ, if dan is to win he needs to GnP silva or if he cant finish him at least win rounds for a decision himself, even if anderson lost i would see him getting his belt back because this fight is going to be competitive and that fight alone is worth 44$
Khaos
1/22/08 11:18:00AM
I think Silva is gonna win, TKO 2rd round

and I'm pumped for Arlovski's return !!!
CornishMMA
1/22/08 11:40:51AM

Posted by kevietre

Why doesnt Dan Henderson have his Pride FC belt in the picture? Is it not a unification match?

Thats a damn good point dude, they crapped it up last time by not announcing it properly and Rampage not winning the PRIDE belt and im sure they are doing the same again

Has Arlovski ever fought a really strong wrestler before? Well the Janitor but he is lighter and hardly tried taking him down if i remember rightly, he could be in trouble there but im sure he will be pumped to be fighting again and he couldnt be anywhere near as bad as the last 3 fights so im sure he will get the KO and then go to Elite XC for a big payday
Smd277
1/22/08 12:15:26PM
im gonna regret this but im thinking hendo dont ask me why its more of a gut feeling and with the experience of hendo if anyone can beat silva its hendo
loonytnt
1/22/08 1:08:49PM
this is old, been posted....
CornishMMA
1/22/08 1:09:50PM
Hendo has a hard time fighting smart tho, he should take Silva down as often as possible but may get caught in a striking war which he would no doubt lose

I see Silva winning a close decision but this fight will be one of the best 5 round fights you have ever seen
masodd
1/22/08 3:23:00PM
Wow! this is gonna be a great card. Its too hard to predict silva vs hendo. I think Kos,diego,fitch,o'brien,kongo,gurgel,and luigie are gonna win
juanez13
1/22/08 3:54:10PM
My Results--->>

Hendo UD

Jon fitch beats whoever

Arlovski wins 2nd round TKO

Josh Koscheck, UD

cheick Kongo UD

sanchez 2nd round KO/TKO

Luke cummo

Jorge gurgel 1st round sub

Pookie
1/22/08 4:11:53PM
someone needs to sticky this thread.

good card throughout.

Finally we get to see someone take silva past the second. Would be a shame if silva taps him out quickly
jiujitsufreak74
1/22/08 4:27:48PM
a couple of fights bother me (i am not going in depth, but just listing my concerns):

Cainero vs Diego
don't sleep on cainero...his JJ is something that should be feared. the only thing preventing me from picking him is the fact that when he gets hit he shuts off as he did with fitch. he had fitch in some serious trouble in the 1st, but after getting tagged a lot he just gave him the choke. if cainero can take a hit then he wins, although i see the same thing happening that happened in the fitch fight.

Silva vs Hendo
also silva henderson is a tough one for me to call. i can't pick against silva while he is on his run, so i have to side with him winning by KO. hendo has been KOed before, and i think silva with BTT is unstoppable and it will be very hard for hendo to control him although he has the best shot out of anyone in the world.

AA vs O'brien
AA and o'brien...jake can very easily LnP his way to victory...just as easily as AA finishing him. i am leaning towards AA in this one but it is very possible for this to go like the herring fight.

Gipper
1/22/08 4:51:54PM
hendo will take silva down when ever he feels like it. he can win a ud by taking silva down and contolling the fight on the gound. but i think hendo will try to knock silva out and don't be surprised if he does. WAR HENDO.
jomatty
1/23/08 5:56:28AM
i just commented on this in another thread but here are my thoughts:

im as excited about this fight as any fight in a long time. i give the edge to anderson but i do not think it will end quickly like a lot of you guys do. this fight seems very likely to go to decision unless anderson gets caught by that big right. anderson has the capabilities to knock out anyone in the world with a flurry but dan has such a good chin (and to whatever poster was talking about jaw structure i dont mean literally i mean in the generally accepted context of he is tough as nails and almost impossible to put away ie: he can take a hell of a shot) that i dont see it happening, even against anderson, who is likely the best striker in mma. anderson is also very very unlikely to submit hendo. sure he is a black belt under the nogs but his jits is not even close to theirs (although i think it is underrated and very good) and despite his losses to the nogs hendo is very tough to submit.

one thing i am confident about is that if anderson tries to clinch it will be tough night for him. i think stick and move (ok run) is the right strategy for anderson and try to frustrate dan and make him shoot. if he gets sloppy and starts to rely too much on that big right it could be lights out (for either guy really as it is still nasty even when sloppily thrown). anderson just wont be able to control an olympic caliber greco guy in the clinch like he did to franklin. when you clinch with olympic caliber wrestling guys you get dumped on your head and spend the rest of the round trying to get back to your feet, even if your muay thai clinch is great. just my opinion...

CornishMMA
1/23/08 7:23:49AM
Its the best calibre MW title fight ever imo, Hendo is and always has been better than Franklin, its #1 VS #2 imho

So Fitch fights Wilson, he is a good replacement as they couldnt get anyone better, guys like Kos, Karo, Alves, are already locked up, the only one i was hoping for was Marcus Davis as he is totally ready and 6 weeks away but he obviously doesnt want it or the UFC didnt think to offer him it
KYGUY07
1/24/08 8:36:41AM
Dan Henderson says he will kill anderson silva in the clinch game, but i cant see that, im taking sliva rd.3 k.o.
prozacnation1978
1/24/08 9:01:15PM
great excellent card, probably one of the best matches in years, it will be a war, hendo is tough and all but i just think silva will out strike him, so what is hendo is good in the clinch so is the spider i would be very surprised if this goes all 5 rounds it will be interesting if it goes into the third and beyond how silva's fatigue will set in. but anyways if spider does win then what who does he fight next?? they have to give him okami if he does win against tanner, no one else deserves it, i don't wanna see nate vs anderson 2, leites is out, it has to be okami.
Violence108
1/26/08 10:46:52AM
it seems to me that this card is too stacked
candynuts
1/27/08 8:15:43PM
Im STILL riding the Jorge Gurgel bandwagon!

If Silva can clinch up with Hendo (something Wanderlei didnt do) I think Silva can win.

GO GURGEL!!!
CornishMMA
1/28/08 8:09:07AM

Posted by Violence108

the fact that the Kos Dustin figth has been relegated to the prelims utterly proves this! Thats an exciting fight ffs! I wanna see it!

Posted by candynuts

Im STILL riding the Jorge Gurgel bandwagon!

If Silva can clinch up with Hendo (something Wanderlei didnt do) I think Silva can win.

GO GURGEL!!!

LOL dude are you serious? Cos before his last loss it was just a case of Jorge fighting dumb and banging with guys like Hominick who he could have easily subbed. But in his loss to Kid it showed he isnt that fantastic off his back and so a good wrestler can beat him as well! He will sub Halverson tho, its a joke they are brining that guy back to lose to Jorge

New fight rumored by Greg Savage on the SDS is LEBEN -VS- SAKARA that does seem quite soon for Sakara to fight again but im sure he wants that
sammyd1213
1/28/08 1:47:15PM
Hendo will pound him out
State_Champ
1/29/08 9:47:15AM
Hendo is gonna beat silva, probably won't go to decision. I think by TKO
CornishMMA
1/29/08 10:54:41AM
Id say Hendos only chance to win is to pound him out, dunno if it will happen tho! Spose he could also win a decision with takedowns but i dont see him doing that as he gets quite trigger happy
Riggeee
1/29/08 6:35:10PM
the pitbull is back!!!!!
Riggeee
1/29/08 7:31:28PM

Posted by KYGUY07

Dan Henderson says he will kill anderson silva in the clinch game, but i cant see that, im taking sliva rd.3 k.o.

Dan Henderson has never been KO d and although i dont seeing dan koing Anderson cuz hes never been KO d either but theres a first time for everything...
Dan wont be afraid to strike with Silva and not be as Tenative as Rich was
and i see Dan scoring the win with a Decision or even maybe a TKO if he decides to try to take anderson down and pound him but he will have to be careful on the ground also the clinch i dont know if Dan is better or not but well see.
gonna be a war though
CornishMMA
1/30/08 7:26:29AM

Posted by Riggeee

the pitbull is back!!!!!

Umm not really dude, this is his last fight in the UFC and it will be an unaired prelim, calm your excitement

I really need to get people to realise that cos it seems nobody knows Arlovski ISNT staying in the UFC
JBatch
1/30/08 6:13:38PM

Posted by Violence108

I think it may be. The undercard is going to be better than most UFN's on paper. I really hope the threadstarter is wrong in his predictions and the Leben vs. Sakara fight is televised because that fight will have the KO of the night in it.

I say the Diego fight should be prelim as well as the Fitch. I mean would they make Fitch actually fight someone soon. They guy gets everyone going saying he is the man. GSP had to go through Karo, Sherk and BJ before he got his title shot. In comparision Fitch has fought noone.
jocksmall
2/2/08 11:43:10AM
this to me is one of the best cards to date. its ashame that some of the fights wont be aired on ppv.
we are getting the best matchup to date with hendo vs anderson
also arlowski, fitch, kosh, diego , kongo. this card is stacked.
i have been impatient with the ufc but they have delievered here. i just cant believe the prelims wont be aired since they are better than many main card fights in the past. i want the ufc to spend less time between fights letting joe rogan talk and more fights (like pride). they could give us the full card or close to it if they did less promos and less talking. im giving praise to the ufc but there is still room for improving the product which is still quite expensive at $40. oh and i shouldnt forget the return of evan tanner who will have his hands full with okami
jocksmall
2/2/08 11:57:27AM

Posted by CornishMMA

Posted by Riggeee

the pitbull is back!!!!!

Umm not really dude, this is his last fight in the UFC and it will be an unaired prelim, calm your excitement

I really need to get people to realise that cos it seems nobody knows Arlovski ISNT staying in the UFC

so what the ufc is a club not a sport. he is leaving one org. there is a whole world of mma. poeple get blinders and believe the hype and think that a guy is done if he leaves the ufc.
when a guy leaves he has more control because he isnt in a on-sided exclusive contract where you cant fight anywhere else and the ufc may or may not allow you to fight. lets face it the ufc has too many fighters and too few events to keep them all active. some guys cant make a living. look at babalu he has 3 different contracts now with 3 different orgs. that are fighter friendly deals where he will make more than he did in the ufc and still only fight 3 fights a year
the ufc can be a great place but its not like the guy is an idiot if he leaves there are better opportunities for some guys that the ufc doesnt provide.
its also a matter of time before some of the other orgs. get a few top fighters that they can claim with some creditability are better than the ufc champs.

im a ufc fan but above that im a mma fan and the ufc is nothing more than an exclusive mma club where you have to be a member to compete and you cant compete outside of the club.
roger
2/2/08 4:19:37PM
Silva wins 1st round ko lights out
Pages: [1] 2 3