Pride adopting UFC weight classes and rules.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Pride adopting UFC weight classes and rules.
« Previous Page
JimiMak
3/28/07 5:02:35PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Stomps are brutal, but maching someone against a cage and dropping elbows on them isn't?

Honestly, it seems pretty obvious to me how a stomp to the head could inflict a serious injury.

The argument against elbows has nothing to do with whether they're "brutal." In fact, it's quite the opposite. Elbows are more likely to open a cut, yet leave the fighter largely unhurt.

That actually is partially my argument. The unnecessary amounts of blood caused by cuts from elbows that often do little or no damage definitely leads to the misconceptions of barbarism.

Although I think the cage is the single biggest thing that keeps ppl thinking this is still "human cock fighting" and all of the other bs statements that we're all used to hearing. It just looks "bad" to the general populace. And I still think that pinning someone against a cage to hit them with any part of your body doesn't take a lot of talent and... well, it just makes the environment a weapon.

Don't get me wrong I do watch and enjoy cage fighting, but when ppl who watch it then claim soccer kicks are brutal it's hypocritical.
AchillesHeel
3/28/07 5:20:12PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Listen, I'm not trying to flame or anything, but don't you think that a CC kick to the head could inflict some serious injury just as easily as a stomp?

Unless I misunderstood your post, you were making a comparison between stomps and elbows, suggesting that if one is "brutal", then so must the other be. My point was that elbows aren't particularly injurious, while it's easy to imagine how stomps could be, and therefore it's not a good comparison. I was essentially agreeing with you, I think.
pv3Hpv3p
3/28/07 6:13:22PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Listen, I'm not trying to flame or anything, but don't you think that a CC kick to the head could inflict some serious injury just as easily as a stomp?

Unless I misunderstood your post, you were making a comparison between stomps and elbows, suggesting that if one is "brutal", then so must the other be. My point was that elbows aren't particularly injurious, while it's easy to imagine how stomps could be, and therefore it's not a good comparison. I was essentially agreeing with you, I think.

Sorry about that, you know how argueing on the internet is...

I guess I was just saying that many common techniques can easily cause serious injury... And I guess I was using the comparison with elbows for the brutality aspect, not as much that they are apt to cause serious injuries...

And it seems that if people aren't familiar with people using stomps/soccerkicks (not saying you aren't) they are quick to write them off as brutal or something along those lines...

Watch Baroni / Menne... That is one of the most quick brutal beatings out there... There's nothing wrong with that... It's just what MMA is... But no no no, soccer kicks are barbaric and animalistic, and makes it look like a street fight...

Well you know what, to the casual fan what did Cyborg / Manhoef look like? Or Frye / Takayama?

Did you not enjoy those fights?

Did they not remind you of street fights?

Where they not brutal?

Are we really just knit-picking?

PS: Mods can we somehow combine these threads to center the discussion? Thanks
kerazzle
3/28/07 10:29:57PM
While i dont care too much if they get rid of soccer kicks and headstomps(though I will miss them) I would really hate to see knees on the ground go. IMO the rules right now in the UFC are farr too lenient on wrestlers, gives them such a huuge advantage because they dont get punished for bad takedowns, the knees on the ground really changes the pace of the game and how its played.
kerazzle
3/28/07 10:33:41PM
im also not a big elbow fan, doesnt take much skill to cut someone with them.
OchoCinco
3/28/07 10:45:37PM
I enjoy the foot stomps and soccer kicks but because they will be crossing over, I think unified rules are best.
JimiMak
3/29/07 12:31:22AM

Posted by OchoCinco

I enjoy the foot stomps and soccer kicks but because they will be crossing over, I think unified rules are best.

What? You realize unified rules allow elbows but not stomps or soccer kicks or knees on the ground? "Unified" rules is UFC rules. Technically it's New Jersey State Athletic Commission sanctioned rules that are becoming universally recognized.
mkiv9secsupra
3/29/07 12:36:16AM

Posted by OchoCinco

Technically it's New Jersey State Athletic Commission sanctioned rules that are becoming universally recognized.

you mean NEVADA right?.....
JimiMak
3/29/07 12:51:54AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by OchoCinco

Technically it's New Jersey State Athletic Commission sanctioned rules that are becoming universally recognized.

you mean NEVADA right?.....

Nevada adopted the rules set forth by Jersey.
Svartorm
3/29/07 4:34:45AM
Does anyone know if this is effective immediatly, or if the next PPV is still under Pride rules? If its UFC rules I've gotta go change some Rounds on my picks.
madmarck
3/29/07 8:40:15AM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Is jumping past guard illegal in the UFC? I never knew that.

I dont think so. Only if you land with your feet stomping your oppenent.

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by OchoCinco

What? You realize unified rules allow elbows but not stomps or soccer kicks or knees on the ground? "Unified" rules is UFC rules. Technically it's New Jersey State Athletic Commission sanctioned rules that are becoming universally recognized.

I think thats exactly what he meant. I think he was saying that we wont be seeing the soccer kicks and stomps in the UFC rules but
Stickan
3/29/07 8:53:47AM

Posted by Svartorm

Does anyone know if this is effective immediatly, or if the next PPV is still under Pride rules? If its UFC rules I've gotta go change some Rounds on my picks.

Since it's still under DSE I'm almost certain Pride 34 will be under Pride rules.
madmarck
3/29/07 9:10:01AM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by Svartorm

Since it's still under DSE I'm almost certain Pride 34 will be under Pride rules.

Good call. I think that since this one last show is under DSE. nothing will change. I cant see them wanting to go out on a big change. I think they would rather leave things as they are.
randyleprechaun
3/29/07 10:32:23AM
Taken from UFCmana.com. This is a piece of an article so take it for what its worth!

"For many MMA fans and fighters, the difference in rules was a major reason to favor either promotion. Soccer kicks and knees to the head are illegal in the states, but allowed in Japan. Meanwhile, elbows are illegal overseas and acceptable in the United States.

Now, it seems like things are about to change after PRIDE 34 on April 8, at which time the Fertittas will take control of the organization. "
nubby
3/29/07 5:15:37PM
The thing about cuts in UFC, the Refs generally don't stops fights because of them. Also to say that elbows don't do serious damage, take a look at Shamrock's face after he was beat by Tito. I know Shamrock ain't a pretty man but he was down right retarded looking after that one.
keith-hackney1
3/29/07 5:26:33PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

According to an article posted on the UFC website...

"And while Pride fights will remain in a ring, the same weight classes and unified rules used in the United States will be adopted."

Things that make you go "hmm..."

If they take away the knees, soccer kicks and head stomps then they may aswell rename pride to ufc japan. Its never gonna be the same event anymore. Its good that the ufc owners have saved pride from extinction, but to change the way the fights are displayed is like totally re-inventing the whole mma scene for the japenese fan base. I love that thought of a ufc champ fighting a pride champ, putting both belts on the line to unify one absolute champ, but it would be much better for the fans if the rules stayed as they are in each orginisation. It would certainly make cross fights better to watch. The only way to see for example vanderlei vs chuck would of been for the ufc to buy pride anyway so at least out of all of this were defenately going to get awesome fights in the future.
cheers
Khon_Nan
3/29/07 6:27:28PM
A little off topic.

But all the talk about the cage and the ring. Kinda cool to see Nicolas CAGE watching people fight in the RING in 'The second coming'
JimiMak
4/8/07 11:11:42PM

Posted by migo

Posted by JimiMak

The open weight idea was a one time thing. I think they'll just let it be that. It's not like they're stopping a yearly tradition. It just won't happen again.

It's the second open weight event they had.

Sorry, meant the 1st since they introduced weight classes, same thing tho. Noone refers to old UFC tournament winners as absolute or hvy champ.
Pages: 1 [2]