Pride adopting UFC weight classes and rules.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Pride adopting UFC weight classes and rules.
Next Page »
AchillesHeel
3/27/07 3:38:50PM
According to an article posted on the UFC website...

"And while Pride fights will remain in a ring, the same weight classes and unified rules used in the United States will be adopted."

Things that make you go "hmm..."
Gladiator
3/27/07 4:17:21PM
i think its great that they are using the same weight classes, except i think prides heavyweight should still be anything above 205 instead of capping it at 265, but i dont like the rule changes. actually makes me kind of sad, im gonna miss the 10-min first rnd and the head stomps.
xthe_scottx
3/27/07 4:27:07PM
This is great and bad at the same time. I'm glad to see soccer kicks and foot stomps gone because they are not needed and belong in street fights, not a combat sport IMO. A lot of questions arise regarding which weight class some fighters will fight at. Also, not to be a UFC nuthugger but I really prefer the caged octagon. It eliminates distinct corners and ends controversies regarding falling out of the ropes. Plus, I get annoyed when the ref has to stop the fight just to restart it in the center of the ring. Overall, this transition of ownership seems positive but only time will tell.
AchillesHeel
3/27/07 4:51:51PM
I've heard that it's harder to see the action through a cage, in person. I think going to a live event and being forced to watch the fights on a screen anyway would irritate the heck out of me.

As long as I'm watching on television, though, I prefer the cage.
JimiMak
3/27/07 4:52:37PM
This is a sad thing to me. I'm gonna miss everything about Pride: knees to downed opponents, soccer kicks, head stomps (I don't wanna sound bitchy, but they're not footstomps), jumping guard passes, 10 min 1st rd (although I still like Pride's original 20 min single rd), but the thing I think is the biggest mistake is UFC should adopt Pride weight classes. To me the 170 div just splits up MW which is already a weak division. It's an extra weight class. But hopefully this turns out better than I think it will.

And BTW the ring is FAR superior to the cage. I'm so glad that'll stay.
AchillesHeel
3/27/07 4:58:10PM
Is jumping past guard illegal in the UFC? I never knew that.
JimiMak
3/27/07 5:06:39PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Is jumping past guard illegal in the UFC? I never knew that.

Maybe not theoretically, but if you can't land in a stomp what're you gonna do? There is an almost jump pass with a punch that ppl like Chuck do, but it really isn't the same thing.
Ydoc
3/27/07 5:14:12PM

Posted by xthe_scottx

This is great and bad at the same time. I'm glad to see soccer kicks and foot stomps gone because they are not needed and belong in street fights, not a combat sport IMO. A lot of questions arise regarding which weight class some fighters will fight at. Also, not to be a UFC nuthugger but I really prefer the caged octagon. It eliminates distinct corners and ends controversies regarding falling out of the ropes. Plus, I get annoyed when the ref has to stop the fight just to restart it in the center of the ring. Overall, this transition of ownership seems positive but only time will tell.

We need all the help we can get promoting skill over bloodlust in this sport if we ever want to be taken seriously. If you have someone in the position for such moves you should be able to still beat him soundly.
randyleprechaun
3/27/07 5:23:50PM
You have a point but taking away knees to the head of a downed apponent and foot stomps, makes me ask the question whether Shogun or Wanderlie Silva will be as dangerous fighters in Pride Ring!

If anything Pride wont be as 'Entertaining' as it was!

Mayo
3/27/07 5:24:18PM
Does this mean there will be no more OWGP ?!
KEENAN9
3/27/07 5:38:45PM
I wish they would at least let Pride keep thier own rules. How things are different is one of the reasons I watch both. Hopefully they'll rethink it and keep some Pride rules.
dstlvb
3/27/07 6:18:52PM
I think to get to the superbowl matches you have to get to as consistent rules as possible. Dana has already stated he likes knees to downed opponets and would work to get that in the states. Its not like Pride wasnt going in this direction anyway. They had already statred having events under Unified rules. I am thrilled with this simply for the fact that Dana and the Brothers seem like real fans as much as suits. If one of the other guys had gotten control i would be worried
hippysmacker
3/27/07 6:19:53PM
Positives to me.
Dream matchups possible, unified rules, no soccer kicks/headstomps, prefer 5 min. rounds, no more freakshows, titles defended, elbows for all, might be able to get a japanese TV deal again

Negatives
will take time for former Pride fighter's to adjust to rules, no knees on ground to head, possible chance at a monoply( although if K-1 does join with ELiteXC, strikeforce, cage rage this is somewhat alleviated)

IMO they should( thought they are not) make the octagon mandatory in both. I know all the arguments for and against, but very few people watch the fight's live in comparison to TV. All the restarts, people getting caught in the ropes, falling out of the ropes, manuevering yourself intp the ropes to get a restart, and even jumping ( Horodecki comes to mind) out of the ropes to save yourself irritate me. I like the thunderdome aspect of the octagon, there's no way out. 2 men enter , 1 man leaves the winner.
ButterBalls
3/27/07 7:56:35PM
I still call Bean by 1st round KO.
shawneth
3/27/07 8:02:38PM

Posted by Mayo

Does this mean there will be no more OWGP ?!

Goos question... THey never really say anything about it. Im assumming with the new weight class rules that they will have to get rid of the OWGP.
JimiMak
3/27/07 8:27:01PM
The open weight idea was a one time thing. I think they'll just let it be that. It's not like they're stopping a yearly tradition. It just won't happen again.

On the ring/cage aspect: in this day and age where gis and wrestling shoes are both illegal having the event inside of an environment that is a weapon seems much more barbaric than soccer kicks and the like.

The entire purpose of the ring is to keep the fight enclosed but hopefully centered as much as possible. Just like boxing, even the clinch should (theoretically) be in the center w/o corners. The fighters should try to engage in the center as much as possible. The restarts are to hold position while keeping the enlosed environment out of the fight as much as possible. It's the same reason that open mat scenarios work as well.

The cage not only can be used as a weapon, that has largely become the gameplan of a large portion of fighters. Pinning someone against the cage and elbowing someone isn't barbaric, but headstomps in an open ring environment is? That doesn't make sense to me. And elbows and the cage lend themselves to bloodlust more than knees or soccer kicks.
gspfan31
3/27/07 8:31:30PM
i don't mind the change with the weight classes but keep prides rules the same
mkiv9secsupra
3/28/07 3:00:05AM
So if they dont keep the OWGP are they having any GP's still? I would love to see a LHW or HW GP with both UFC and Pride fighters...
kerazzle
3/28/07 3:50:58AM
I agree, the restarts dont bother me that much cuz I would rather see the action in the center anyways, plus it pisses me off when ground battles get stuck on the fence in the ufc. Both have their pros and cons so i think its best to keep both of them.
Mastodon2
3/28/07 4:37:31AM
This is dreadful for Pride. The crappy UFC rules are just diluting the pure MMA experience of Pride, now we will be stuck with slow fights on the ground.

headstomps, soccer kicks and knees are "streetfighting"?

Get a grip.
mkiv9secsupra
3/28/07 4:59:53AM

Posted by Mastodon2

This is dreadful for Pride. The crappy UFC rules are just diluting the pure MMA experience of Pride, now we will be stuck with slow fights on the ground.

headstomps, soccer kicks and knees are "streetfighting"?

Get a grip.

HUH?! You do realize UFC doesnt make the rules? The NSC does.....
migo
3/28/07 6:27:08AM

Posted by JimiMak

The open weight idea was a one time thing. I think they'll just let it be that. It's not like they're stopping a yearly tradition. It just won't happen again.

It's the second open weight event they had.
FortySixBelow
3/28/07 7:03:42AM
I think everyone is missing the bigger picture...a lot of people said Pride was something that aint broken...well..i would argue it was..

If you dont get on national wide cable television, ie dont have a TV contract you are broken...and..I think the Ferdittas might fix that. I HOPE.

All in all some pluses and minuses...but overall a lot more pluses and exposure for the sport of mma.

mkiv9secsupra
3/28/07 7:23:31AM

Posted by FortySixBelow

I think everyone is missing the bigger picture...a lot of people said Pride was something that aint broken...well..i would argue it was..

If you dont get on national wide cable television, ie dont have a TV contract you are broken...and..I think the Ferdittas might fix that. I HOPE.

All in all some pluses and minuses...but overall a lot more pluses and exposure for the sport of mma.

you have a point....maybe they could have a deal with spike as well....its already the perfect channel for it. maybe tnt or usa would do well too.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/28/07 7:57:22AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

Posted by FortySixBelow

you have a point....maybe they could have a deal with spike as well....its already the perfect channel for it. maybe tnt or usa would do well too.

they already air Pride on FSN.....

As for the main topic,i think changing the rules is best for the sport......the same how it is unfair to have Pride fighters start training a different way,it would be the same if ufc fighters would have to start training a different way too.....

bottom line,if they really wanna make this MEGA fights they will have to start applying the same rules for both orgs........the last thing we want are excuses from fight fans on how "he only lost cuz he was not allowed to knee on the ground"...or.."he would of knocked him out if it was a 10min first round"..

Weight classes is also a must....

its funny how Dana says "Pride will still be our rivals"...lol...yeah right.....i bet they wont put on a big show the same day Pride puts on a show like he does to big boxing events(i hate that shit,as a boxing fan)
AchillesHeel
3/28/07 9:22:41AM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

So if they dont keep the OWGP are they having any GP's still? I would love to see a LHW or HW GP with both UFC and Pride fighters...

They've said they're going ahead with this year's LWGP. After that, who knows..?
pv3Hpv3p
3/28/07 11:03:19AM

Posted by kerazzle

I agree, the restarts dont bother me that much cuz I would rather see the action in the center anyways, plus it pisses me off when ground battles get stuck on the fence in the ufc. Both have their pros and cons so i think its best to keep both of them.

well, put... I would rather see a fight restarted in the center of the ring as appose to two fighters tied up in a clinch against the cage wall for half of a fight...

There is nothing wrong with promoting the fighters to finish fights... I am a huge MMA fan and yet I hate watching LnP wins by wrestlers who can do no more than wrestle, and the cage caters to that...

The same goes for knees/stomps/soccer kicks... If it's going to make someone second-guess laying in their guard waiting for the bell to ring (Travis Lutter end of rd1 agaisnt A.Silva) why not...

Jimi made a great point... Stomps are brutal, but maching someone against a cage and dropping elbows on them isn't? C'mon guys, we sound like a bunch of politicians....
AchillesHeel
3/28/07 3:20:56PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Stomps are brutal, but maching someone against a cage and dropping elbows on them isn't?

Honestly, it seems pretty obvious to me how a stomp to the head could inflict a serious injury.

The argument against elbows has nothing to do with whether they're "brutal." In fact, it's quite the opposite. Elbows are more likely to open a cut, yet leave the fighter largely unhurt.
pv3Hpv3p
3/28/07 3:39:01PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Stomps are brutal, but maching someone against a cage and dropping elbows on them isn't?

Honestly, it seems pretty obvious to me how a stomp to the head could inflict a serious injury.

The argument against elbows has nothing to do with whether they're "brutal." In fact, it's quite the opposite. Elbows are more likely to open a cut, yet leave the fighter largely unhurt.

Listen, I'm not trying to flame or anything, but don't you think that a CC kick to the head could inflict some serious injury just as easily as a stomp? Or a knee to the face in the thai clinch? Or when Tank KO'd Nelmark with a punch... Just because these have been acceptable ways of inflicting serious damage in the US, it doesn't mean that others are barbaric for lack of a better term...

It looks brutal so people asume that it is more punishing than other techniques, but there is no evidence backing this...

Aren't you trying to hurt the other guy? It is a fight after all...

I am all for the fighters' safety no one wants to see a guy get hurt in the ring, but after all, this is MMA, if a fighter trains in a technique, that happens to be very effective, who are we to say that it is invalid?

I think it is a consensus opinion that if someone is going to die in a MMA match it will be by slam, like Page / Arona... Should we ban those too?
Mastodon2
3/28/07 4:07:47PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

HUH?! You do realize UFC doesnt make the rules? The NSC does.....

Yep, Im aware of that, but UFC touted those rules to get their shows around America. UFC can stick with the crappy Unified North American MMA rules, let Pride FC have Pride Rules!
Pages: [1] 2