PRIDE 35? and so on...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » PRIDE 35? and so on...
JunCTion
4/10/07 11:56:35PM
does any body know whats in the near future for pride?
will the brothers F jump right in or will they take their time setting up the next few events?
do the rules go into effect immediately?
JunCTion
4/10/07 11:59:34PM
i see on the site

total elimination
critical countdown
final conflict.

will they stick with prides plan or monkey with it?
Mastodon2
4/11/07 4:30:52AM
Well, They are just their 2 tournament events, which they have at the same time every year, so this only supports the LW Grand Prix which was advertised at the last Pride event.

As for the Fertittas maintaining Pride, I think they are BS'ing, they only bought it to finally eliminate it so they can monopolise the market, they are sucking the life out of Pride, signing away all of its popular fighters, soon there wont be any draws left in Pride.
Northrend
4/11/07 5:37:32AM

Posted by Mastodon2

Well, They are just their 2 tournament events, which they have at the same time every year, so this only supports the LW Grand Prix which was advertised at the last Pride event.

As for the Fertittas maintaining Pride, I think they are BS'ing, they only bought it to finally eliminate it so they can monopolise the market, they are sucking the life out of Pride, signing away all of its popular fighters, soon there wont be any draws left in Pride.

Yeah they are sucking away the life of Pride. What I see happening is that they will take all the talent away from Pride and leave the B and C level fighters there then have the A level Pride/UFC fighters fight the C level fighters and then say that "UFC>Pride" when that clearly isn't the case but the average fan will believe it.
Mastodon2
4/11/07 6:28:33AM
Thats exactly what they are doing. The Fertittas dont care about the sport, all the care about it monopoly. If they cared about the sport, they wouldnt have destroyed Pride's rules, and then began transferring all of their talent over to UFC.
johny_rotten
4/11/07 1:39:26PM
Who did they suck away? Nog is the only fighter to jump ship since the buy out. It was inevitable that the HWs in Pride would leave. No one wants to see Fedor/Nog 3. Every Hw with the exception of Werdum who has came to the UFC has already lost to Fedor.

I don't think the UFC will turn Pride in to a minor league system. They just invested alot of money, and the Japan market is the biggest MMA market. It also wouldn't make since because the "super bowl of MMA" would be the highest rated PPVs ever if Pride stays as a major player.
warglory
4/11/07 2:16:01PM

Posted by johny_rotten

Who did they suck away? Nog is the only fighter to jump ship since the buy out. It was inevitable that the HWs in Pride would leave. No one wants to see Fedor/Nog 3. Every Hw with the exception of Werdum who has came to the UFC has already lost to Fedor.

I don't think the UFC will turn Pride in to a minor league system. They just invested alot of money, and the Japan market is the biggest MMA market. It also wouldn't make since because the "super bowl of MMA" would be the highest rated PPVs ever if Pride stays as a major player.

Absolutely! Healthy competition can only make MMA and the UFC bigger. The Fertitas literally re-built UFC from the ground up, and look what it has become? It would be stupid for the brothers to turn PRIDE into a hack league when they know damn well that it would hurt them in the long run, especially in the Asian market where PRIDE is dominant.
hippysmacker
4/11/07 2:33:34PM

Posted by johny_rotten

I agree, I heard on the beatdown that Nog was a complete free agent, so he wasn't transfered. I'm sure they will start moving some guys over from the UFC soon. In addition, if they do have this years grand prix at 170 instead of 155 it will have UFC fighter's added in. Sanchez,Fitch, maybe even GSP would make this awesome. Gomi said he wanted to fight GSP, And GSP might want to get right back on the horse after the fall. I want to see Sakarai/GSP. Also, I think they should transfer Tito and Sylvia over. Tito isn't gonna beat Chuck ever IMO, and Sylvia keeps talking about wanting Fedor. Careful what you wish for Big Tim. Give it time, before you jump to conclusions. I think it will work out for both orgs. and MMA overall. At least in the short term. Longterm, we'll see.
Lay_N_Pray
4/11/07 3:20:30PM
I agree that Pride will be real strong. Look at all the new guys making a name for themselves. Obviously that Dojuseke guy is awesome, Nick Diaz is rejuvenated, Filho, Kang, Arona, Shogun, Hendo are all still main event players and just as strong.

If anything the Fertittas are making the UFC and Pride almost on an even playing field by switching fighters around. Obviously they wanted to target Heavyweights because the American fight fan loves the big boys and the UFC didnt have any so they went and got some.

With the level of talent in Brazil, Japan, Europe...Pride will be able to rebuild that division without a problem.

Also if Pride were a "minor-league" system that would be ok. The MLB is a monopoly. They have hundreds of teams it seems with all the farm teams in A, AA, AAA, and then the MLB of course. So it is good to have a feeder system, but I believe that is the WEC and Pride will remain strong
warglory
4/11/07 3:40:12PM

Posted by Lay_N_Pray

I agree that Pride will be real strong. Look at all the new guys making a name for themselves. Obviously that Dojuseke guy is awesome, Nick Diaz is rejuvenated, Filho, Kang, Arona, Shogun, Hendo are all still main event players and just as strong.

If anything the Fertittas are making the UFC and Pride almost on an even playing field by switching fighters around. Obviously they wanted to target Heavyweights because the American fight fan loves the big boys and the UFC didnt have any so they went and got some.

With the level of talent in Brazil, Japan, Europe...Pride will be able to rebuild that division without a problem.

Also if Pride were a "minor-league" system that would be ok. The MLB is a monopoly. They have hundreds of teams it seems with all the farm teams in A, AA, AAA, and then the MLB of course. So it is good to have a feeder system, but I believe that is the WEC and Pride will remain strong

What you say maybe true about the MLB, but the MLB is also an American/Canadian organization. PRIDE, as of this moment, is a market for Asians primarily. It would hurt mma if PRIDE, arguably the better of the two talent wise, were all of a sudden turned into UFC's bitch.
dstlvb
4/11/07 3:48:51PM
Does no one have faith in the Ex-Pride President. He layed out the reasons he chose to sell to the brothers. As far as being all about the money, something tells me they are better bussinesman than to buy a dead org with a nonexcistent sport to make money. Only someone who loved MMA at the time they bought it would have faith to think they could get it to where it is at. Love em or hate them, they hired Dana and Joe, who by all accounts are fans. they followed the sport before there was even a thought that they could be president and commentator.
cowcatcher
4/11/07 4:55:05PM
lets not forget there is a lot of money to be made in japan and the f bros have proven to be good businessmen which gives me no reason to think that they would blow an opportunity with pride. this is a huge deal which im sure has tons of little wrinkles that need to be ironed out, so dont worry about pride going away any time soon, just relax and give it a little while and things will work out fine on both ends of the pacific. also great point made about americans liking the big guys and that being the reason for beefing up the hw division.
JunCTion
4/11/07 11:33:27PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by johny_rotten

I agree, I heard on the beatdown that Nog was a complete free agent, so he wasn't transfered. I'm sure they will start moving some guys over from the UFC soon. In addition, if they do have this years grand prix at 170 instead of 155 it will have UFC fighter's added in. Sanchez,Fitch, maybe even GSP would make this awesome. Gomi said he wanted to fight GSP, And GSP might want to get right back on the horse after the fall. I want to see Sakarai/GSP. Also, I think they should transfer Tito and Sylvia over. Tito isn't gonna beat Chuck ever IMO, and Sylvia keeps talking about wanting Fedor. Careful what you wish for Big Tim. Give it time, before you jump to conclusions. I think it will work out for both orgs. and MMA overall. At least in the short term. Longterm, we'll see.

totally. why buy something so you can destroy it. if they turn pride into the minors they will lose their asian fan base live & ppv. they will build it up just like they did the ufc. "the superbowl of mma" is exactly right. i dont agree with the rule changes put i see their point. they want more pride events in the usa and it will be easier crossover for the fighters.. and more importantly it will be good for up and coming fighters to get acustomed to the same rules no matter where they fight.