Pride 34

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Pride 34
Next Page »
CWall33
2/26/07 8:03:49AM
Word has it that Pride 34 will be held on April 7th, the same date as UFC 69.

http://www.mmafighting.com/news/2007/what_is_next_for_pride_after_feb_24.html

Looks to be an expensive PPV day for us.

Anyone know anything about the fight card yet?

From MMA:

PRIDE: April 8, 2007 in Japan

-Ricardo Arona vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
-Shinya Aoki vs. Brian Lo-A-Njoe
-Zelg Galesic vs. Makoto Takimoto
-Bazigit "Volk" Atajev vs. Gilbert Yvel
-Eric "Butterbean" Esch vs. Wagner da Conceicao Martins (aka Zuluzinho)

Other possible participants:
-Wanderlei Silva
-Mark Hunt
-Sergei Kharitonov
-Kazuyuki Fujita
-Ikuhisa Minowa
RichBoy
2/26/07 8:54:58AM
Only Hidehiko Yoshida is rumored to be on the card so far.
Stickan
2/26/07 11:20:10AM

Posted by RichBoy

I've honestly never enjoyed seeing him fight. Oh yeah.. I enjoyed seeing him get his legs chopped off by CC.

Sure he's a great judoka and all that but he isn't very entertaining IMO.
loller90278
2/26/07 12:06:35PM
hehee yoshida is like the gatekeeper for stardom... whoevers beaten him has or is on the way of becoming a star in pride.. latest one being mega punk!!
i hope we see him on this card
oh and ps. im definatly buyin pride over ufc but i get both so i just wont watch the ufc channel
JoeMimic
2/26/07 12:16:37PM
Josh Gross on the Beatdown today over @ Sherdog mentioned that the name for this card is Kamikaze...How appropriate.
Manfred
2/26/07 1:56:01PM
Nakamura would make sense. He seemed to do well with american fans at the Real Deal
Dadaman
2/26/07 1:58:58PM
IS Pride 34 going to be in Las Vegas or in Japan? I heard rumors about the Super Saitama Arena for Pride 34.
Manfred
2/26/07 3:03:10PM
My bad, I thought we were talking about the next US show
loller90278
2/26/07 3:03:19PM

Posted by Dadaman

IS Pride 34 going to be in Las Vegas or in Japan? I heard rumors about the Super Saitama Arena for Pride 34.

i'm guessin you didn't read the article... ?
yes its in the super saitama arena
i think they're goin back n forth from america to japan if im not mistaken
CWall33
2/26/07 6:09:04PM
Article says that this event will be in Japan, and also shown live in the USA. Does anyone know what the time difference is between here (EST), and Japan? And what time the event will be held?
THE_AXE_MURDERER
2/26/07 6:38:44PM

Posted by CWall33

Article says that this event will be in Japan, and also shown live in the USA. Does anyone know what the time difference is between here (EST), and Japan? And what time the event will be held?

The time difference is 20 hours.right now in Japan its February 27, 2007, 8:37 am
CWall33
2/26/07 9:15:52PM
So, if the event is at 9:00 PM in Japan, it will be shown at 1:00 AM in EST?

I'm getting confused now. Will that be the same night as the UFC event (back to back shows. UFC ending at 1 AM, Pride starting at 1 AM), or will it be the night before the UFC (up all night for Pride, then up late later that same day for UFC)?

Plus, UFN9 on the 5th, and UFC 70 on the 21st.
Four points events within 16 days.
Season 1 is about to go into high gear.
Svartorm
2/27/07 12:31:30AM
According to Sherdog, the event is on the 8th, not the 7th. Shockwave was broadcast "live" as well though. They just showed it the next day in the usual fight PPV timeslot of 9pm.
ButterBalls
2/27/07 12:43:26AM
I hate it when they do that. Looks like another $200 cable bill....and I thought December sucked....
Svartorm
2/27/07 1:08:05AM
Quit your crying dude, I'm watching Pride 35 in a hotel room during Metalfest. Thats a $500 weekend!
CWall33
2/27/07 4:44:19AM

Posted by Svartorm

According to Sherdog, the event is on the 8th, not the 7th. Shockwave was broadcast "live" as well though. They just showed it the next day in the usual fight PPV timeslot of 9pm.

The article says "The next PRIDE event will be held April 8 (April 7 in the U.S.) ". International date line is messing with our dates. (no, that's not a 900 number).

So, you're saying "live" is a bunch of BS? I cannot believe that they would advertise a "live" event, when it was actually 24 hours old.

This is my first time for this, but is this really the first time this situation has come up?
The question stands. When will this be shown in the eastern US?
Svartorm
2/27/07 5:18:57AM
But if they aired it live, it would be on here at 6am or something. The last Pride event in Japan, Shockwave 2006, was shown here something like 18 hours after it happened. Its the smart way to do it, rather than have a live event that no one watches. I'm sure they'll have times up for this eventually though, and then we'll know for sure.
CWall33
2/27/07 6:30:57AM

Posted by Svartorm

But if they aired it live, it would be on here at 6am or something. The last Pride event in Japan, Shockwave 2006, was shown here something like 18 hours after it happened. Its the smart way to do it, rather than have a live event that no one watches. I'm sure they'll have times up for this eventually though, and then we'll know for sure.

Good point. Do they want to show a PPV event in the wee hours?

However, the article clearly says "PRIDE 34 will be the first PRIDE in Japan to be available live on pay-per-view in the United States."
Keywords being "the first PRIDE in Japan to be available live...in the United States"

This brings up a totally new debate. Can Pride survive (i.e. get the US dollars), if they hold events in Japan?

What would be better, a live PPV event at 2 or 3 AM, or a PPV event that has already taken place?

Either way, Pride is in a corner with no way out. I can't see them competing with the UFC , (in the general PPV market) unless the event is in the States. Only the hardcore fans will stay up until 2-6 AM for the event. Same with the "tape delay". Only hardcore fans will pay $40 to see fights that happened the night before.

UFC is getting in the same boat with the event in England. If they will PPV it live, it will not be at the usual time-slot. That will definitely affect the PPV income.
Spiderman
2/28/07 5:20:06AM
depends when they have the event .. where 7 hours ahead of them on the west coast .. so if they have the event at noon [ normal for a football or baseball game ] it will be on here at 7.00 pm .

In the past there shows typically open at 2 pm , and start at 4 pm .. makeing a 11pm start time on the west coast .
loller90278
2/28/07 12:13:49PM

Posted by CWall33

Posted by Svartorm

Good point. Do they want to show a PPV event in the wee hours?

However, the article clearly says "PRIDE 34 will be the first PRIDE in Japan to be available live on pay-per-view in the United States."
Keywords being "the first PRIDE in Japan to be available live...in the United States"

This brings up a totally new debate. Can Pride survive (i.e. get the US dollars), if they hold events in Japan?

What would be better, a live PPV event at 2 or 3 AM, or a PPV event that has already taken place?

Either way, Pride is in a corner with no way out. I can't see them competing with the UFC , (in the general PPV market) unless the event is in the States. Only the hardcore fans will stay up until 2-6 AM for the event. Same with the "tape delay". Only hardcore fans will pay $40 to see fights that happened the night before.

UFC is getting in the same boat with the event in England. If they will PPV it live, it will not be at the usual time-slot. That will definitely affect the PPV income.

i disagree.. most of the ppv buyers are not hardcore fans, but casual fans, i dont think they would care if the event is 18 hours old (its not like they're going to be checkin sherdog for the results) as for myself, i dont care also, i'd rather see an 18 hour old fight then no fight at all!
Brick
2/28/07 6:00:07PM
You've hit on the reason why Pride has never caught on as much in the U.S., hard to hype something up that is either at a strange time or is on a tape delay. It's easy to get the casual fans interested in a well-hyped Saturday night (party time) live broadcast, not so much for something shown in the middle of the night, or on a Sunday or something.

I think I read that the UFC 70 in the UK will start at 2:00 eastern time here in the states, live.
pv3Hpv3p
2/28/07 6:46:20PM

Posted by Brick

I think I read that the UFC 70 in the UK will start at 2:00 eastern time here in the states, live.

I think that would actually be pretty cool... UFC in the afternoon, I'm midwest so that would be 1 for me...

Can't say I've ever watched a PPV when it was still light out, it would make it feel more like football or something...
jaba
3/1/07 12:06:15AM

I've honestly never enjoyed seeing him fight. Oh yeah.. I enjoyed seeing him get his legs chopped off by CC.

Ya and he's the highest paid fighter in pride just cuz hes japanese and won the olympics or som shit. Mayb if they woulda paid someone say like Cro cop as much who is actually worth that kinda money then he would stayed.
THE_AXE_MURDERER
3/1/07 12:48:40AM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by RichBoy

Sure he's a great judoka and all that but he isn't very entertaining IMO.

I have to disagree i love watchin him fight hes one of my favorites i wish he would have beatin james thompson!!!
ButterBalls
3/1/07 1:31:52AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Brick

I think that would actually be pretty cool... UFC in the afternoon, I'm midwest so that would be 1 for me...

Can't say I've ever watched a PPV when it was still light out, it would make it feel more like football or something...

same here, only downside is I'll probably end up drunk by 5

Sorry, as much as I love MMA, its hard to watch any sporting event without beer and pizza.
ButterBalls
3/1/07 1:33:23AM

Posted by Svartorm

Quit your crying dude, I'm watching Pride 35 in a hotel room during Metalfest. Thats a $500 weekend!

hrm, good point. I dunno how I can one-up that.
Svartorm
3/1/07 2:40:33AM

Posted by butterballs

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by Brick

same here, only downside is I'll probably end up drunk by 5

Sorry, as much as I love MMA, its hard to watch any sporting event without beer and pizza.

I don't drink during events because I like to be able to pay attention, which is hard enough when I'm sober.
ac_gi
3/1/07 2:49:32AM
I drink during the live events, then watch them several times sober, in the morning, with coffee. Thank you Tivo!
Brick
3/2/07 5:51:06PM
Nothing wrong with the daytime beer buzz!!

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
SteedTheDeed
3/2/07 6:12:54PM
it will air on the 8th. might not be the best card anyway
Pages: [1] 2 3