If Pride got a 170 lb. division who should they move to it?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » If Pride got a 170 lb. division who should they move to it?
hippysmacker
1/29/07 6:51:08PM
I think a significant number of guys would move up from 160 and down from 183. I think Filho, Suloev are the two that come to mind for me who would be most succesful. I also think Filho would hold that belt for a long time.
Stickan
1/29/07 6:54:14PM
I think he'll hold the 183 belt for a loooong time once he gets it.
hippysmacker
1/29/07 7:02:17PM

Posted by Stickan

I think he'll hold the 183 belt for a loooong time once he gets it.

He's a stud no doubt, but I have a funny feeling that the 183 lb. belt is gonna be passed around in the next few years. Lot of guys close to eachother in skill who match up well agaist eachother in that division. Kang, Hendo, Filho, Musaki, and now Zelg, and Cung Lee coming in. Anyway, back to the subject, I think Sakarai should move back up to that weight also.
Stickan
1/29/07 7:07:04PM
If they got a 170 I think they would move down lightweights to 155 prob making as you mentioned Sakurai and even Gomi fight at WW instead.
Aoki is pretty big too so it wouldn't surprise me if he moved up. It would definately be an interesting division but it would kinda tear up the now mega stacked LW division.

well... about who would have the most success there, I'd say Filho IF he could make the weight. Gono would probably also have some success at 170.
loller90278
1/29/07 7:34:00PM
when did suloev last fight in pride? i didn't even know he was still with them
kaduey
1/29/07 7:36:21PM
The lightwieght division in Pride is practically the same as welterweight becasue they fight at 165.
hippysmacker
1/29/07 7:37:16PM
8/26/06 versus Kang in the 183 lb. tournanment.
loller90278
1/29/07 7:37:37PM
whoops nvm, it was oct. 2006.. guess i missed that..
anywyas i was watching bodog a couple months ago and he was to fight (Russa Vs America) and he was out cuz of injuries.. his replacement, andrei semenov was reaaaaaally good. i think if he worked on his ground game a lil he can do some damage in the hypothetical 170 lbs division
Stickan
1/29/07 7:43:35PM

Posted by loller90278

anywyas i was watching bodog a couple months ago and he was to fight (Russa Vs America) and he was out cuz of injuries.. his replacement, andrei semenov was reaaaaaally good. i think if he worked on his ground game a lil he can do some damage in the hypothetical 170 lbs division

Yeah I've always seen Semenov as someone with a lot of talent and great potential. He holds the only win over current UFC up-n-comer Martin Kampmann.
I THINK he's beaten Denis Kang too.

I hope he gets back on the big stage soon.
BloodandTears
1/29/07 7:45:35PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I think a significant number of guys would move up from 160 and down from 183. I think Filho, Suloev are the two that come to mind for me who would be most succesful. I also think Filho would hold that belt for a long time.

What do you think Henderson's prime fighting weight would be?
hippysmacker
1/29/07 8:25:29PM
I think his weight is the right one. 183-185 lb. is good for him, but it's still such a tough weight class in any org. His recent loss to Misaki, could be a style thing, or a gameplan thing. It made no sense to me that he just kept standing there and not going for the takedown.He also, seemed like he was just trying to land the bight right hand. Usually when someone try's to prove themselves in a skill outside their specialty it comes back to haunt them.
loller90278
1/29/07 8:28:19PM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by loller90278

Yeah I've always seen Semenov as someone with a lot of talent and great potential. He holds the only win over current UFC up-n-comer Martin Kampmann.
I THINK he's beaten Denis Kang too.

I hope he gets back on the big stage soon.

nah denis beat him... his only pride performace was a loss to him =(
Stickan
1/29/07 8:40:59PM
oh.. dang!
But I remember something pro-semenov about it. He went the distance?

Too lazy to check the fight finder...

anyway. i believe he has the skillsets to be a champ one day.
hippysmacker
1/29/07 10:11:24PM

Posted by kaduey

The lightwieght division in Pride is practically the same as welterweight becasue they fight at 165.

Actually it's 160. I also think Ryo Chonan would fit well at 170 .
jmoooooo
1/30/07 1:43:22PM
diaz and lawler.....i can see both of them moving to 170, seeing as that is where they were in their UFC days, and diaz looked better at 170 i think.
hippysmacker
1/30/07 6:40:07PM
Someone mentioned Aoki. Since he usually fights at 167 in Shooto I think this make sense, Aoki vs Filho would be a grapplers dream.
Spiderman
1/30/07 9:12:23PM
All the fighters who are small at 183 lbs . Gono , Chonan , Suloev those 3 really dont belong in the 183 lb div they are to small for it . Imo Suloev would probably be the 170 lb champ in Pride , and would crush GSP in a fight under Pride rules .

I dont know why People are mentioning Filho [ A former 205lb fighter who is huge at 183lbs ] who is talking about moveing up to 205 to fight Shogun and Wandy. Why not have Franklin or kang move down also ?

I also dont understand why Gomi [ A former 155 lb fighter ] would want to move up in Weight ? Or where the myth that Gomi is a huge LW comes from ? Aurillo is / was bigger than Gomi , so are a lot of his oppenents other than Pulver and Ishida .. IF you want to see a big 160 lb fighter take a look at Jermain Taylor 6'1 160 lbs

@ above poster Aoki vs Shaolin would be great . Filho is to big for Aoki !
Your right about Aoki haveing , and fighting again at 167 , but he isnt big ! Like most japanese fighters he fights against Larger oppenents/ Heavier weightclass's than he needs to .. Dont know if you watched Hansen vs Aoki But it looked pretty clear to me that hansen was the heavier of the 2 .
hippysmacker
1/31/07 4:01:26AM

Posted by Spiderman

All the fighters who are small at 183 lbs . Gono , Chonan , Suloev those 3 really dont belong in the 183 lb div they are to small for it . Imo Suloev would probably be the 170 lb champ in Pride , and would crush GSP in a fight under Pride rules .

I dont know why People are mentioning Filho [ A former 205lb fighter who is huge at 183lbs ] who is talking about moveing up to 205 to fight Shogun and Wandy. Why not have Franklin or kang move down also ?

I also dont understand why Gomi [ A former 155 lb fighter ] would want to move up in Weight ? Or where the myth that Gomi is a huge LW comes from ? Aurillo is / was bigger than Gomi , so are a lot of his oppenents other than Pulver and Ishida .. IF you want to see a big 160 lb fighter take a look at Jermain Taylor 6'1 160 lbs

Your right about Aoki haveing , and fighting again at 167 , but he isnt big ! Like most japanese fighters he fights against Larger oppenents/ Heavier weightclass's than he needs to .. Dont know if you watched Hansen vs Aoki But it looked pretty clear to me that hansen was the heavier of the 2 .

It's actually because he is short ( 5 ft. 8) that make sme think it's possible for him. I know he's built like a shorter Arona, but it's not like he's Monson . If GSP and Riggs can make 170 I am sure he would too. Howver, since he is one of the best in the world at 183 , I agree it's probably unlikely unless he suffered a lot of losses at that weight. Since he is undefeated right now, it does seem unlikely. The only other reason I could see him moving down is if Bustamante were to have a resurgence and become champ. Teamates rarely fight eachother. IMO GSP wouldn't be dominated by anyone at 185 and down. As for Taylor I heard one of the announcers say he was close to 190 when he got to the ring.
ac_gi
1/31/07 4:12:11AM

Posted by Spiderman

Suloev vs. GSP would be a good fight, but "crush him", come on now. You are not giving GSP any respect. The guy has one loss, to Matt Hughes in 2004. He has beaten some great opponents like Hughes, Penn, Sherk, Trigg, Mayhem Miller and Parisyan.
Jeffanori-Gomi
1/31/07 1:07:08PM
prides wieght system is a little wierd to me. 160 lbs LWs which shouldnt be considered LW IMO
Jeffanori-Gomi
1/31/07 8:32:02PM
GSP would work Suloev IMO, I think Suloev isnt that great and wieght class wouldnt really matter because GSP is a monster @ 170

WAR GSP!
Spiderman
2/1/07 3:43:04PM
Suloev gave Chuck a very close fight , while giveing up about 40 Lbs ! Maybe Gsp gets a takedown , but Suloev has very good takedown defence , and is extremely fast on his feet , and without elbows and the cage I dont know if Gsp would be effective enough to finish Suloev ? I see this fight staying on the feet , and only the most diehard Gsp fans could see Gsp outstrikeing Suloev !