Pride 1 - JJ

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Pride 1 - JJ
jjeans
10/17/11 1:12:03PM
Finally got my hands on PRIDE, so I've been watching. Deciding to write up my thoughts as the fight plays out kinda like my own play-by-play. I've not seen many PRIDE fights if I'm honest so if you get a chance read and reminisce of when you first watched it

Pride 1

Wow no real intro, gutted

Fight 1:

The size difference looks huge...
Dixson on top, thats scary!
How'd he get up lol
Huge sweep and incredible armbar, very impressed with Kuzanari, fair play, sweeped the big man off his feet.

Fight 2:

Expecting Oleg to tear this guy in half....
Wow I love Bas' accent
I love also how the Japanese fans don't boo
Good TDD by Goodridge
Wow that was a huge right hand! That was a vicious KO! Amazing! So excited to watch the rest of PRIDE!

Fight 3:

I'm really not a fan of Renzo... But i'm expecting him to go through him like a hot knife through butter
Not a fan of this don't grab the rope BS.
Takedown and mount, wow this will be over quick and he has his back.
He's up fair play!
Has Renzo ever actually won a fight from his back like armbar, triangle or anything?
What the hell?! Pulling the fighters to the middle LOL....
Memories of Trigg Hughes with a standing Rear Naked!!!
How long are these rounds...
He fell out the cage! WOW! This is crazy
1st Round over 10-9 Renzo on my card
Shoji is a mini beast fair play
Omoplata or Rubber guard?
Shohi looks on fire!
What an Armbar escape!!!!
19-19 New fan of Shoji over here!
These leg kicks are jacking him up (reminds me of Hughes/Renzo
Rubber guard, sweep. Takes his back!
And Shoji's up!!! What a sequence! That was good!
How many rounds are there
Oh that's it
29-28 Shoji (if there are judges)
Oh there aren't draw lol

Fight 4:

Is that Nathan Jones from the WWE.... I hope that sumo guy destroys him
Why's Nathan smiling?
Is Nathan a wrestler, striker or retard?
Now Koji's ontop that must be it!
Wow that Keylock looked nasty, tapped so quickly..
Why was Nathan even in there? Send him back to the WWE

Fight 5:
I've heard of Branko before! He's a beast.
Wait, why are they having a kickboxing bout in PRIDE?
WOW Huge head kick!
Wait it was illegal
(that bump looks messed up....)
So it's a no contest... Serves them right for having a K-1 Bout during a JMMA event...

Fight 6:
Dan Severn actually makes Kimo look small! Hahaha!

- I deleted most of my thoughts on this fight but basically it was dull two grapplers... striking -

Glad that's over - 30 Minutes is too long for a dull fight.

Fight 7:

Rickson Gracie I know he wins this but I don't know how
Why the anthems? I like how the commentators talk through the anthems
Rickson Gracie vs Takada - Main Event! Let's do this!
BJJ vs Pro Wrestling haha
Rickson looks so good so composed
Takada looks scared
I think Rickson looks so confident not a man in the ring would not be scared against him
Biased Ref stopping Rickson getting a takedown...
Fair Play Rickson got some wrestling beautiful double leg/Body slam, straight to mount.
Takada has no chance, he's fu*ked.
Armbar attempt.
Biased ref couldn't do anything then.
RIckson 401-0

Overall event 6/10 Not happy with the 30 minute matches....

Glad I watched though
What was your thoughts and opinions when you watched?
prophecy033
10/17/11 1:18:14PM
Is this the first pride you've ever seen? There's some classics in those dvds
Rabi
10/17/11 1:18:17PM
The first few Prides are quite dull, the only good thing from this event was the Goodridge KO, when the Gracies fight they make sure the rules macth there style of fighting, stick with them though, wait till you meet Sakuraba, this guy is a legend! Possibly the best Japanese fighter ever?
jjeans
10/17/11 1:22:04PM

Posted by prophecy033

Is this the first pride you've ever seen? There's some classics in those dvds

Not quite, I've seen the PRIDE Tournament that Shogun beats Arona, I saw all those events
Pride Total Elimination 2005, Pride Critical Countdown 2005 and Pride Final Conflict 2005 but that's it (I've seen certain PRIDE Fights too just not whole events)

Thanks Rabi - Won't be quitting yet!
prophecy033
10/17/11 1:24:40PM
The Gracie vs Saku fights were epic. When he fought Royce, it went over an hour. That was during the 2000 GP
Rabi
10/17/11 1:27:49PM
90 minute fight, 6 x 15 mins rd, once again rules changed for Royce Gracie (back fired though)
FastKnockout
10/17/11 1:36:24PM
Yeah, don't let the first few events fool you. Starts getting exciting when guys like Silva, Cro Cop, Big Nog, Sakuraba, and Fedor come along.
Rabi
10/17/11 1:38:26PM
And Igor Vovchanchyn!
prophecy033
10/17/11 1:38:54PM

Posted by FastKnockout

Yeah, don't let the first few events fool you. Starts getting exciting when guys like Silva, Cro Cop, Big Nog, Sakuraba, and Fedor come along.

don't forget Bob Sapp
Rabi
10/17/11 1:40:23PM
Ikuhisa Minowa, Takanori Gomi!
prophecy033
10/17/11 1:41:49PM
Frye vs Takayama- this fight will make you laugh, make Takayama cry, and deliver one of the best slugfests the world has ever seen
Rabi
10/17/11 1:44:14PM
Amazing fight, has to be seen to be believed, it was like something out of a cartoon!
prophecy033
10/17/11 1:46:43PM

Posted by Rabi

Amazing fight, has to be seen to be believed, it was like something out of a cartoon!

I love it when Quadros says "it looks like Takayama is crying on Frye's shoulder"
tcunningham
10/17/11 2:08:37PM
I F**KING LOVE PRIDE FC!!! i still go back and watch those on a regular basis. i needed inspiration for my fight this last Saturday (oct 15th) and the best of PRIDE knockouts was just the thing. i won with a head kick KO in the 2nd rnd. never underestimate the power of PRIDE FC vids.
Budgellism
10/17/11 2:46:04PM
Jay, you're in for a treat. Especially if you're watching them all from the beginning. The first 6-10 Prides were pretty hard to watch but after that every event becomes special in its own way. I watched all the Pride's in order last year and it was truly epic to watch the progression.
Budgellism
10/17/11 2:47:43PM

Posted by prophecy033

Frye vs Takayama- this fight will make you laugh, make Takayama cry, and deliver one of the best slugfests the world has ever seen

Agreed. No other fight I've seen has been anything like it. Very exciting.
mrsmiley
10/17/11 3:11:00PM
I still think Final Conflict 2003 was the best MMA event ever!
Not sure if the Zuffa re-release has all the original interviews but man where they classic.
DeadHead988
10/17/11 9:39:20PM

Posted by Rabi

The first few Prides are quite dull, the only good thing from this event was the Goodridge KO, when the Gracies fight they make sure the rules macth there style of fighting, stick with them though, wait till you meet Sakuraba, this guy is a legend! Possibly the best Japanese fighter ever?

Possibly the greatest fighter ever
armbar66j7
10/18/11 12:13:36AM
the pride bushidos are really good too, and honestly, pride bushido 9 is my favorite fight card of all time from any poromotion, its a sick fuckin card man, you gotta check it out