UFC president Dana White slams door on Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva superfight

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC president Dana White slams door on Nick Diaz vs. Anderson Silva superfight
Next Page »
prophecy033
8/3/12 12:08:22AM
Cesar Gracie wrote this past week that he would respectfully ask UFC president Dana White to make a superfight between Nick Diaz and middleweight champ Anderson Silva.

The answer to that request already is no, UFC president Dana White on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com.

"I can tell you this, not theoretically – Diaz/Anderson is not going to happen," he said. "That's just ridiculous."

Link
Chael_Sonnen
8/3/12 12:31:51AM
Anderson (and Soares) can breathe a sigh of relief - - - Diaz would have broken him.

YA KNOW?
prophecy033
8/3/12 12:42:52AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Anderson (and Soares) can breathe a sigh of relief - - - Diaz would have broken him.

YA KNOW?

Diaz would been sent back to the hood with a spanking and a note to his mommy that read "Nick will write out "I will never act like a wannabe Thug again" 100 times and have it on my desk Monday morning"

YA KNOW?
telnights
8/3/12 12:47:34AM
Nick is a very good fighter but in no way has he earned a shot at Anderson. Beat one top 10 MW and then maybe. I would like to see him beat one fighter that has solid wrestling and good BJJ defense which he has managed to avoid for years now.
Twenty20Dollars
8/3/12 1:24:23AM
So, what Dana is really saying is there is a chance?

Because you have to take everything Dana says and think the opposite.
jay98107
8/3/12 3:10:39AM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

YA KNOW?

Still upset about the rematch?
infestructure
8/3/12 3:57:35AM

Posted by prophecy033

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

YA KNOW?

Diaz would been sent back to the hood with a spanking and a note to his mommy that read "Nick will write out "I will never act like a wannabe Thug again" 100 times and have it on my desk Monday morning"

YA KNOW?

So, so true

So Chael_, If Nick could have 'broken' Silva - does that make Nick better than you too? Seeing as Silva 'broke' you and all...

Aether
8/3/12 5:52:02AM
Translation: Ed Soares' and Cesar Gracie's opinions are not relevant to my decisions.
george112
8/3/12 6:33:46AM
Wouldnt have minded seeing the fight. But I guess nick didn't deserve it in the first place. For once money didn't dictate danas decision. It would have made a shit ton
finnish_line
8/3/12 9:36:59AM
I would have seen this as very similar to the Silva vs Irvin fight.

Of course that was non-title because it was outside of Middleweight.

I wouldn't have had a big problem with a non title catchweight fight at say 190 or something.

Silva's earned a couple fun wins.

In no way, shape or form should Diaz get a title shot at 185 though.
grappler0000
8/3/12 9:40:08AM
If you think about it, how can one sell a fight between the P4P best and a fighter moving up in weight, coming off of a loss? It just doesn't work.
george112
8/3/12 10:19:03AM

Posted by grappler0000

If you think about it, how can one sell a fight between the P4P best and a fighter moving up in weight, coming off of a loss? It just doesn't work.

nicks name is huge.

2 huge names going at it would sell.

people like nick . People hate nick. Both are motivating factors for people to want to watch.

People would watch to see him beat Silva
People would watch to see him lose (haters)

marketing I think would be a tad bit difficult . But I mean as you can see with no marketing whatsoever the rumor and the thought of the fight spread like wildfire
Theoutlaw08
8/3/12 10:44:34AM
Silva would pick Diaz apart. Smart move by Dana. Why give a punk D-Bag a shot he doesn't deserve???
grappler0000
8/3/12 11:01:27AM

Posted by george112

Posted by grappler0000

nicks name is huge.

people like nick . People hate nick. Both are motivating factors for people to want to watch.

marketing I think would be a tad bit difficult . But I mean as you can see with no marketing whatsoever the rumor and the thought of the fight spread like wildfire

That's hardcore fans though. Try letting the media explain to the casual fan that this makes sense. Also, you run a risk of having your unbeatable champ lose to an undersized opponent, coming off of a loss...who couldn't win gold at a weightclass lighter. It's bad for business. GSP would make sense...not many other matches for Andy would from WW.

FTR, I'd personally enjoy watching.
george112
8/3/12 11:07:48AM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by george112

Posted by grappler0000

nicks name is huge.

That's hardcore fans though. Try letting the media explain to the casual fan that this makes sense. Also, you run a risk of having your unbeatable champ lose to an undersized opponent, coming off of a loss...who couldn't win gold at a weightclass lighter. It's bad for business. GSP would make sense...not many other matches for Andy would from WW.

FTR, I'd personally enjoy watching.

on the same token only hardcore fans would know that it wouldn't make much sense.

the casual fans I'm giving the benefit of the doubt in just knowing a little bit about nick diaz. They already know Anderson Silva . Odds are though the casual fans know just as much about nick diaz as far as attitude goes. He's gotten his fair share of headlines.

that's why i said both of their star power alone would sell enough to make it profitable. From a matchmakers pov it doesn't make sense
Chael_Sonnen
8/3/12 11:21:01AM

Posted by jay98107

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

YA KNOW?

Still upset about the rematch?

No, we made up at the Silva family BBQ

Mrs. Spider Silva is a helluva cook!!!!
Sir_Karl
8/3/12 3:22:40PM
A few days ago I was warned by a Mod for bashing Anderson Silva. I said he was an arrogant, bully chicken. After reading some of the comments on this thread I guess it is apparently okay to bash Nick Diaz though! I now understand why this site has gone from over 10,000 people to roughly 3000...favoritism, bias and inconsistency.
jjeans
8/3/12 3:42:49PM

Posted by Theoutlaw08

Silva would pick Diaz apart. Smart move by Dana. Why give a punk D-Bag a shot he doesn't deserve???

I know he's retired but fighter bashing much?
jjeans
8/3/12 3:43:39PM
^^^^^^^ ignore my last post, someone already brought it up
cowcatcher
8/3/12 4:00:11PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

A few days ago I was warned by a Mod for bashing Anderson Silva. I said he was an arrogant, bully chicken. After reading some of the comments on this thread I guess it is apparently okay to bash Nick Diaz though! I now understand why this site has gone from over 10,000 people to roughly 3000...favoritism, bias and inconsistency.

Give us a chance to address that stuff before jumping to conclusions and bashing the site man. We have a couple new mods, the rules are loosening, and we can't catch everything immediately. Lighten up.
Theoutlaw08
8/3/12 5:20:42PM

Posted by jjeans

Posted by Theoutlaw08

I know he's retired but fighter bashing much?

Sorry for that post. I was a bit heated during the work day and it came out in my post. My bad.
Budgellism
8/3/12 6:28:15PM

Posted by Sir_Karl

LOL at this post.
BlueSkiesBurn
8/3/12 6:39:09PM
I seriously don't understand people pushing Silva-GSP. That would not be a competitive fight AT ALL.

The first time GSP couldn't get Silva down, Anderson would punch a hole in his head. Nevermind the fact that Anderson walks around at 220 and GSP has admitted he's 194 on a good day, why on earth would you make a match between your Welterweight & Middleweight champions when neither one have had a fight at the other's weight class.

That's even dumber than giving Diaz a fight coming off a loss.
GettinsomeBas
8/3/12 9:02:16PM
this makes me a sad panda
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
bjj1605
8/5/12 5:44:58PM

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

No, we made up at the Silva family BBQ

Mrs. Spider Silva is a helluva cook!!!!

See, Chael was never really after a belt to begin with.

He just wanted that steak from Mrs. Silva. He thought he'd have to beat the greatest P4P fighter of all time to get one, but it turns out all he had to do was ask nicely.

I doubt he got to slap anyone on the ass, however....
bjj1605
8/5/12 6:06:15PM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I seriously don't understand people pushing Silva-GSP. That would not be a competitive fight AT ALL.

The first time GSP couldn't get Silva down, Anderson would punch a hole in his head. Nevermind the fact that Anderson walks around at 220 and GSP has admitted he's 194 on a good day, why on earth would you make a match between your Welterweight & Middleweight champions when neither one have had a fight at the other's weight class.

I think it would be a rather competitive fight.

GSP could almost certainly get Anderson down. He's a better wrestler than Chael Sonnen and has a more explosive shot. He's also much better on the ground once he gets there. He's also a big WW and could easily bulk up and make himself into a real MW (rather than a welter fighting up).

I personally think Anderson would win in the end. He's got a great guard and defense on his back and he can knock anyone out at any time on the feet. But I suspect that it would be a very competitive fight.

More importantly these guys are two of the greatest P4P fighters in the sport, not just at the moment, but of all time.

To have to guys like that fighting at the same time is very rare indeed. Who wouldn't want to see them fight?

This fight had a lot more support from the MMA community in years past. Then GSP said he didn't want the fight and suddenly all of his fans started saying the match wouldn't make sense.

GSP and Anderson look like they're closer in size than Anderson and Jon Jones (although I also want to see that fight) and they also both have more impressive legacies than Jones does at this point.

If one of those two fights doesn't happen eventually, I will be pretty bummed out.

Edit: I should also add that everyone was on board for BJ Penn vs GSP. Penn is much smaller than GSP (at least as much smaller as GSP is than Anderson) and GSP has a lot of other physical advantages over him. Why was that fight ok but this one isn't?
BlueSkiesBurn
8/6/12 3:42:55AM

Posted by bjj1605

GSP could almost certainly get Anderson down. He's a better wrestler than Chael Sonnen and has a more explosive shot. He's also much better on the ground once he gets there. He's also a big WW and could easily bulk up and make himself into a real MW (rather than a welter fighting up).

I personally think Anderson would win in the end. He's got a great guard and defense on his back and he can knock anyone out at any time on the feet. But I suspect that it would be a very competitive fight.

More importantly these guys are two of the greatest P4P fighters in the sport, not just at the moment, but of all time.

To have to guys like that fighting at the same time is very rare indeed. Who wouldn't want to see them fight?

This fight had a lot more support from the MMA community in years past. Then GSP said he didn't want the fight and suddenly all of his fans started saying the match wouldn't make sense.

GSP and Anderson look like they're closer in size than Anderson and Jon Jones (although I also want to see that fight) and they also both have more impressive legacies than Jones does at this point.

If one of those two fights doesn't happen eventually, I will be pretty bummed out.

Edit: I should also add that everyone was on board for BJ Penn vs GSP. Penn is much smaller than GSP (at least as much smaller as GSP is than Anderson) and GSP has a lot of other physical advantages over him. Why was that fight ok but this one isn't?

I wasn't all that amped for GSP-Penn II. Though, I would make the argument that there were plenty of people who thought it was a dumb idea. Especially if Penn won because it would back-up two divisions. Many people also thought Penn didn't have much of a chance.

At the end of the day, GSP has never fought at MW and Anderson has never fought at WW. To me, the fight doesn't make any sense. I would order it just like anybody else, but I couldn't justify this fight at anything more than a 3 round catchweight or a 5 round catch-weight Main Event.

I still think Anderson crushes GSP. He won't be trying to take down a 185lb Anderson. He will be trying to take down a 220lb Anderson.

BigBadAl
8/6/12 10:37:29AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by bjj1605

I wasn't all that amped for GSP-Penn II. Though, I would make the argument that there were plenty of people who thought it was a dumb idea. Especially if Penn won because it would back-up two divisions. Many people also thought Penn didn't have much of a chance.

At the end of the day, GSP has never fought at MW and Anderson has never fought at WW. To me, the fight doesn't make any sense. I would order it just like anybody else, but I couldn't justify this fight at anything more than a 3 round catchweight or a 5 round catch-weight Main Event.

I still think Anderson crushes GSP. He won't be trying to take down a 185lb Anderson. He will be trying to take down a 220lb Anderson.

Yeah I could see Silva crushing GSP, he would be a heavy favourite too. When 2 guy's have such great technical ability if often just comes down to who is biggest. I could see SIlva beating Jon Jones and would you even think about putting GSP in with Jones
Gogoplatapus
8/6/12 11:11:01AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I think you are grossly underestimating Georges.
Pookie
8/6/12 11:27:53AM
Anderson doesnt show up at fight night at 220. Never has. Shit for the Maia fight he fought below 190, and for the Shields fight Georges fought at above 190. I think though the Natural Size and Frame argument is valid, the weight issue is greatly overblown seeing as Georges packs on as much mustard as he can get onto his frame, and Anderson more often than not chooses to emphasize his speed by fighting lighter.
Pages: [1] 2