UFC President cuts King Mo

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC President cuts King Mo
Poor_Franklin
3/27/12 9:02:41PM
In another devastating blow, former Strikeforce champ Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal has been released from his Strikeforce contract.

UFC president Dana White today confirmed the news to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) but declined to comment on the release.

Following a nine-month suspension issued today by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Lawal lashed out on Twitter, which led to his ouster.

MMAJUNKIE
emfleek
3/27/12 10:05:54PM
Interesting.
TeamDEY
3/27/12 10:12:10PM
Feel bad for the king but could thing they are cracking down on steroid use.
Bubbles
3/27/12 11:17:23PM
and yet they want you to believe that Strikeforce will stay a relevant brand
bjj1605
3/27/12 11:51:51PM

Posted by Bubbles

in their defense,

this is a special circumstance. Not a normal cut.

So while your point is valid in general, I'm not sure it applies here.
thevoodooninja
3/28/12 12:13:02AM
i dont feel sorry for the guy for one second
prozacnation1978
3/28/12 2:01:55AM
Not surprised
postman
3/28/12 8:44:32AM
I'm pretty suprised. He claims it was from a supplement that at the time of purchase was not on the banned list and a year latter it was added. I know its his job to keep track of that but this feels wrong to me.
airkerma
3/28/12 9:30:54AM

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Bubbles

in their defense,

this is a special circumstance. Not a normal cut.

So while your point is valid in general, I'm not sure it applies here.

How is it a special circumstance? This seems pretty ridiculous to me. What was the exact reason for being cut? If it was testing positive, then shouldn't we see more fighters being released? I haven't decided yet how I feel about the person from the AC seemingly degrading him regarding his screening, but something about it seems a bit out of line.
BuffaloDave
3/28/12 11:08:07AM
One of the good things from this release (That is if it sticks) maybe we can see Mo and Rampage settle their dispute with one other inside a cage or ring.
Svartorm
3/28/12 11:24:29AM
Some consistancy would be nice here though. King Mo is cut for accidently using a banned substance. Conversely, Thiago Silva is headlining the next event after being caught using steroids.

Also, the idea King Mo is cut for saying "bitch" on twitter is utterly insane.
KungFuMaster
3/28/12 11:24:29AM
I read the article but I came across nothing stating why Mo was released. Was he released because of testing positive or was he released because of what he tweeted?
Kpro
3/28/12 11:37:36AM
Calling one of the NSAC officials who reviewed your case a "racist bitch" after getting popped for using steroids?

You gotta be kidding me. Dana is trying to have as good of relationship with the NSAC as possible.

Those are some strong words and accusations and Mo deserves to be cut for the combination of what he did and what he said.
Svartorm
3/28/12 11:44:37AM
The reason he called her a racist bitch is because she asked him, and only him, if he can speak and read english, which he took offense to. I don't know if she meant it to be racist, but you don't randomly ask the only black guy on the panel if he can read without raising eyebrows.
Kpro
3/28/12 11:54:55AM
He answered almost his entire pre-fight questionnaire wrong regarding medicals and what he'd taken in the last two weeks; I see no issue with it. He either can't read or he got that many wrong and lied on purpose. His answer to the NSAC proves the latter, and the question was needed to determine that.
cowcatcher
3/28/12 12:00:58PM

Posted by BuffaloDave

One of the good things from this release (That is if it sticks) maybe we can see Mo and Rampage settle their dispute with one other inside a cage or ring.

Very glass half full of you. Good call.
KungFuMaster
3/28/12 12:08:31PM
Mo seems like a douche for testing positive and lying about it but IMO the council lady should not have formulated that question in that demeanor.

Both are douches if you ask me.
Kpro
3/28/12 12:13:41PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Mo seems like a douche for testing positive and lying about it but IMO the council lady should not have formulated that question in that demeanor.

How should she have asked it considering it was a necessary question to show that he understood the questions he lied on?
KungFuMaster
3/28/12 12:24:47PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by KungFuMaster

How should she have asked it considering it was a necessary question to show that he understood the questions he lied on?

Here is how I would have phrased it.

"Mr. Mo, what I am about to ask you may offend you but I assure you that is not my intent. Because you have some discrepancies on your questionnaire, I have to ask you the following question(s). Did you fully understand all the questions and answered them honestly?"

I was not there to hear the council lady and I regret calling her a douche - and maybe she was being diplomatic about the question - I don't know.
Kpro
3/28/12 12:38:35PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Kpro

Posted by KungFuMaster

"Mr. Mo, what I am about to ask you may offend you but I assure you that is not my intent. Because you have some discrepancies on your questionnaire, I have to ask you the following question(s). Did you fully understand all the questions and answered them honestly?"

I was not there to hear the council lady and I regret calling her a douche - and maybe she was being diplomatic about the question - I don't know.

She could've said it even nicer than that. We don't know. The only thing we know is the question needed to be asked to show that he understood the questions he lied on. The NSAC was correct to ask it. Without needing to hear it, I think it's obvious she made no mention of race when she posed the question because the question has absolutely nothing to do with race. It's about if you lied on a questionnaire or did not understand it. They'll ask the same question to Nick Diaz because of his questionnaire, so they'll be racist there too?

Mo Lawal deserved to be cut for even bringing race into this.
KungFuMaster
3/28/12 12:49:50PM

Posted by Kpro

Posted by KungFuMaster

Posted by Kpro

Posted by KungFuMaster

She could've said it even nicer than that. We don't know. The only thing we know is the question needed to be asked to show that he understood the questions he lied on. The NSAC was correct to ask it. Without needing to hear it, I think it's obvious she made no mention of race when she posed the question because the question has absolutely nothing to do with race. It's about if you lied on a questionnaire or did not understand it. They'll ask the same question to Nick Diaz because of his questionnaire, so they'll be racist there too?

Mo Lawal deserved to be cut for even bringing race into this.

I guess you're right. If there is a discrepancy on the questionnaire, the board will need to ask that question as a standard procedure. Mo is just bringing in the race card to alleviate the embarrassment.
Poor_Franklin
3/28/12 2:49:42PM

Posted by KungFuMaster

"Mr. Mo....

KungFuMaster
3/28/12 6:04:12PM
Somebody understands my comedy.
prophecy033
3/28/12 10:08:30PM
Get over it Lawal, I've been asked if I can read before after reading something wrong and screwing up at work. It had nothing to do with racism. I get sick of people using racism to justify things going against them. It seems like any other situation where your in front of a governing body (Judge, Athletic Commission) and you've done something wrong and they make you look stupid just to put you in your place. We all know how Mo acts, sounds like the weren't having anything to do with it. He just got butt hurt and played the racism card. Just my opinion on the matter