UFC Pres Dana White Says They Are Done with Team Golden Glory

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC Pres Dana White Says They Are Done with Team Golden Glory
FastKnockout
8/4/11 4:06:34PM
All but one fighter from Team Gold Glory was currently released from any contractual obligations to Strikeforce or the UFC. Company president Dana White says it all boils down to a differing philosophy on how they do business.

LINK
prophecy033
8/4/11 5:43:04PM
That was evident yesterday when you fired everyone (almost) who was associated with golden glory, Dana. But if you feel you need to explain, you got the floor
grappler0000
8/4/11 5:47:37PM
IDK, that's actually better reasoning than I gave them credit for.
Wolfenstein
8/4/11 5:51:40PM
That actually makes a lot of sense to me. In what other business is the manager paid first? Maybe there's a few, but it seems pretty backwards to me. Why wouldn't they just take their cut? Seems like it just opens up a lot of opportunity for fighters to be abused.
prophecy033
8/4/11 6:09:28PM
Exploitation of fighters is probably more common then we think. We always hear about fighters changing camps. Some may change for that very reason. We don't know . The thing that sucks is Sergei is one of my top 3 favorite fighters. All the more reason to get HDnet
Pookie
8/4/11 6:18:38PM
Kharitonov's move.
machodog76
8/4/11 6:30:21PM
If this is the case I guess I agree, From a fans point of view though...
Bubbles
8/4/11 11:26:32PM
is Dana speaking the truth or he just running his mouth like normal?
Shawn91111
8/4/11 11:30:21PM
if its an AC type thing then why is or was Strikeforce allowed to do it that way?

and by "AC" I mean Athletic Commission, not Slater
tallica62
8/5/11 8:47:30AM
fair enough...so they should all have the right to fight again for Zuffa only if they change management?
emfleek
8/5/11 9:00:54AM

Posted by Shawn91111

ncordless
8/5/11 11:15:40AM
This isn't the first move UFC has made in order to try and minimize the role of fighter management in MMA.

If it were about fighters getting taken advantage of, then I would be on board with Dana on this one. But it isn't. Golden Glory fighters are not being taken advantage of. In fact, they usually have contracts pay pretty nicely.

Instead, this is all about the power dynamics of MMA. Zuffa doesn't really care who's name is on the check they write, or at least they shouldn'tf so long as they are getting what they paid for. But management companies are there on behalf of fighters. They make Zuffa's contract negotiations more difficult. Probably even more concerning to Zuffa, they constitute a source of influence in MMA that runs directly opposes Zuffa's desire to have complete control of their fighters. Marginalizing managers and agents works towards Zuffa's goal of having no management, and instead just dealing with the fighters directly, which will in turn lead to fighters getting paid less and with less favorable terms on their contract.
MMA-San
8/5/11 8:31:53PM

Posted by Shawn91111

if its an AC type thing then why is or was Strikeforce allowed to do it that way?

I immediately thought of Slater, lol.