Preperation

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Preperation
Bug
11/20/07 4:25:34PM
I have been a MMA fan for quite a while and i love boxing too. I was dabbling a bit in boxing training, but decided I would go into MMA instead. I can't find anyone to teach me around here but i will be moving to Nashville in half a year, where I am sure i can find something. I was wondering, though, what i could be doing to prepare myself for this and if there is anything i could learn now.
Jackelope
11/20/07 4:43:10PM
Mainly I'd get your body's conditioning/cardio up. Start jumping rope now (kickboxing classes will always have you jump rope) and start working core exercises for BJJ strengths. Cardio wise you can take your pick at a multitude of things you want to do, but the jumping rope will help for one, and running (if done properly and at proper distances and intervals) can help toughen up your shins.

I can tell ya some of the things you'll need is shoulder strength to keep throwing those punches and keeping your hands up, core strength for everything, and tough shins for the beatdowns you're going to take in both BJJ and kickboxing. You wouldn't think so, but sometimes practicing things in BJJ can beat the crap out of your shins. I learned that one the hard way.

Oh, and stretch, stretch, stretch. A lot of hip stretching for BJJ.

That's a few for ya. I'm sure there's plenty of other thing some of the other guys can help ya out with.
Jackelope
11/20/07 4:44:49PM
Oh, and if you don't want to spend all your money at once you can start buying things like shin pads, mouth pieces, cups, rash guard, board shorts (or whatever you prefer to fight in) hand wraps, and maybe some MMA gloves. Purchases spread out over 6 months might not be so bad. Just make sure you get good stuff that won't take a crap on you fast.
KeNn
11/20/07 7:26:37PM
For MMA.

Skipping, Running, like the guy above me mentioned STRETCH. I'm un very un flexible and I think ima learn the hard way. if you have an old punching bag start drilling that around.
I kick/punch the heavy bag for about half hr 45mins on my home time a day.

I actually haven't joined MMA yet, so I couldn't tell you from experience.
Tommorow's my first class, but I do have 2 yrs of boxing. and Boxing has a better cardio/workout I'd assume because of the 12 rounds a guy sometimes has to go.

Jackelope
11/21/07 1:26:21AM

Posted by KeNn

For MMA.

Skipping, Running, like the guy above me mentioned STRETCH. I'm un very un flexible and I think ima learn the hard way. if you have an old punching bag start drilling that around.
I kick/punch the heavy bag for about half hr 45mins on my home time a day.

I actually haven't joined MMA yet, so I couldn't tell you from experience.
Tommorow's my first class, but I do have 2 yrs of boxing. and Boxing has a better cardio/workout I'd assume because of the 12 rounds a guy sometimes has to go.

The only reason I didn't suggest any punching or striking is because guys can develop bad habits. Remember, this guy has no MMA training. So it's best to get all your proper habits from the get-go. Instead of working your bag for 6 months improperly and then having to de-learn all of that stuff.
Mastodon2
11/21/07 1:58:13AM
Yeah 6 months is far too long to be allowed to work a bag on your own. Bad habits will be well ingrained in the muscle memory by then.

Just focus purely on Cardio and a healthy diet, cut any excess fat and get some stamina behind you. Grappling will take it out of you, it's insanely tiring. It's different to striking, whereas with striking the key to improving your performance is to learn proper breathing patterns, no matter how you breath while grappling, all the strength you are using will take it out of you, so you gotta be really in shape Cardio wise. Like I say, it's a slower pace than stand up striking (at least good stand up, not like the sloppy, tenative striking we see in MMA a bit) but its a whole different game.
Bug
11/21/07 2:55:29PM
thanks guys, by the way i have done a lot bag work in boxing, will i have to delearn that stuff as well, plus i can't seem to find out what stretches to do i read about a lot but which ones are better
Mastodon2
11/21/07 5:49:31PM
Its not so much the individual stretches that you do, but the methods you use. It's a very complicated subject and I don't consider myself competent enough to discuss it. I know what works for me and the lads I train with, but it might not work for you.

As for delearning, yeah there will most likely be some of that. Whether you realise it or not, you will most likely have developed some bad habits (everyone does when they are starting out) but a good coach will correct you, and with a bit of effort it shouldnt take long to get proper form. As another bonus, a good coach can show you how to properly use the heavy bag. No offence, but 99% of beginners who have never extensively trained with the heavy bag in a proper gym don't know how to really use one.
KeNn
11/21/07 8:54:29PM
Okay my first day of MMA/BJJ today.

and it actually wasn't bad, killer 200 pushups and sit ups though.
10 minute runs, great techniques though.

if you aren't in good physical shape, diet, work out, cardio.

derekcalado
11/21/07 11:08:46PM
hey if you wanna learn Submissions just go to submissions101.com. i have learned a shit load from it.
danny81
11/22/07 12:35:21AM
run sprints/long distance/ interval etc
jump rope
lift find a good routine for fighters
definetly practicet he boxing you have lerned through shadow boxing and heavybag and anything else you wnat like speed bag or double end bag
Svartorm
11/22/07 3:34:42AM

Posted by derekcalado

hey if you wanna learn Submissions just go to submissions101.com. i have learned a shit load from it.

Going to a website and seeing a submission is WAY different than getting the damn thing to work right. Dude, you're in Hudson, MA? If you want to work on you game a bit, you're welcome to come up here and train with me. I'm not all that far away.