Preliminary 2009 NFL draft top prospects

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Preliminary 2009 NFL draft top prospects
hippysmacker
4/29/08 3:06:16AM
Now this one's down I was talking with my fellow draftnik bud, and we were already discussing next year. So this are some guys I think will be at the top of next years draft, junior eligibles included. Considering only 20 of my 32 preseason list from last year went in the first 2 rounds this year, this is a crapshoot. : )

1. Mike Crabtree- WR - Texas Tech
2. Hunter Cantwell- QB- Loiusville
3. Malcom Jenkins- CB- Ohio St.
4. Brian Cushing- OLB- USC
5. Percy Harvin- WR- Florida
6. Michael Oher- OT- Missisippi
7. Tim Tebow- QB- Florida
8. Greg Hardy - DE- Missisippi
9. Ray Meluga- ILB- USC
10. Andre Smith- OT - Alabama
11. Chris"Beanie" Wells- RB- Ohio St.
12. Vontae Davis- CB- Illinois
13. Sen'Derrick Marks- DT- Auburn
14. Maurice Evans- DE- Penn st.
15. Marion Lucky- RB- Nebraska
16. DJ Moore- CB- Vanderbilt
17. Jermaine Gresham- TE- Oklahoma
18. James Laurinitas- LB- Ohio st.
19. Tyson Jackson- DE- LSU
20. Nate Allen- FS- S. Florida
21. James Davis- RB- Clemson
22. Eugene Monroe-OT Virginia
23. Patrick Turner- WR- USC
24. Duke Robonson- G- Oklahoma
24. Patrick Robinson- CB- Florida St.
25. Alex Boone- OT- Ohio St.
26. Nic Harris- S- Oklahoma
27. Demetrius Byrd- WR- LSU
28. Cullen Harper- QB- Clemson
29. Max Unger- C/OT- Oregon
30. George Selvie- DE- S. Florida
31. Matthew Stafford- QB- Georgia
32. Greg Middleton- DE- Indiana
Kpro
4/29/08 3:39:29AM
I've been told that even when Crabtree catches a cold; he does it with his hands.

Nice list
rameydl8
4/29/08 8:43:07AM
18. James Laurinitas- LB- Penn st.

Did i miss something?........last time i knew he played for Ohio State
babytater03
4/29/08 12:49:55PM
I highly doubt that Tebow will go into the draft as a junior.

DCRage
4/29/08 4:24:32PM
Watching ESPN now, one of their experts currently has James Laurinaitis going #1 next year. This would be a nice PR win from WWE because James is the son of wrestler-turned-executive John Laurinaitis, better known in the ring as "Johnny Ace".

Edit: rameydl8 is correct about James as well-he does play for THE Ohio State University, not Penn State.
jiujitsufreak74
4/29/08 4:33:01PM

Posted by rameydl8

hippysmacker
4/29/08 5:19:49PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by rameydl8

your right he does play for OSU, and he is number one on my list and on the list of Mel Kiper.

Sorry I almost edited your post instead of quoting it.
your right he does play for OSU, and I haven't seen Mels list yet, but McShay posted his this morning

My bad -typo- edited now. You and Mel are free to make your own list. Mel had Mike Williams who went # 10 to Detroit in 2005 , and has since been traded to Oakland cut by the Oakland, and on the unable to perform list for Tennesee - as the # 1 player on his preseason and Draft day boards. So he is as prone to mistakes as anyone. I don't remember the last time a ILB went in the top 5 even( Lavarr Ariington-2000- played some inside,) but anythings possible. I just saw Todd Mcshays list , and his top guy ( Moala) is 37th on mine. I guess we will know more in about a year who was drafted where, and in about 4 years how good the picks really were.
Shawn91111
4/29/08 8:31:45PM

Posted by DCRage

Watching ESPN now, one of their experts currently has James Laurinaitis going #1 next year. This would be a nice PR win from WWE because James is the son of wrestler-turned-executive John Laurinaitis, better known in the ring as "Johnny Ace".

Edit: rameydl8 is correct about James as well-he does play for THE Ohio State University, not Penn State.

Actually Johnny Ace is his uncle. His father is Joe Laurinaitis who was Animal from the legendary tag team The Road Warriors.
hippysmacker
4/30/08 12:22:17AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by DCRage

Actually Johnny Ace is his uncle. His father is Joe Laurinaitis who was Animal from the legendary tag team The Road Warriors.

Which is you gotta admit way cooler" Whaaaaaaat a RUSH!"
DCRage
4/30/08 10:15:26AM

Posted by Shawn91111

Posted by DCRage

Oops, got my Laurinaitis's mixed up there. WWE still would mention it quite a bit, and I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get him into the ring, even if it's just for a cameo appearance or a one-match deal like LT did years back.
ohiostate1016
5/1/08 1:14:24PM
Next year's draft will be infused with Buckeyes, especially in the first round. Because of that fact, I feel compelled to give you a bit of info on each of the top prospects from the greatest university in the country:

LB James Laurinaitis - He has all of the tools to make it in the NFL, but past comparisons to AJ Hawk have been unfair to him, as they are not really the same player. Hawk is a player that relies more on instincts and uses his speed secondary. Laurinaitis is adept at reading offenses (which is why he was moved to MLB for the Bucks), and uses his speed to make up for what he lacks in Hawk-like instincts.

RB Chris Wells - Wells is a carbon copy of Eddie George, except the scary thing is that he might be faster! He can run between the tackles as well as any other back in the country, and he has break away speed that gives him an edge over the rest of the backs that will be coming out in 09 or 10 (did you see that nobody from LSU caught him from behind in the NC game last year on that long run? Not even "All-American" Craig Steltz.

CB Malcolm Jenkins - Jenkins would have been the top CB taken this year, but he decided to come back for his senior year to get the bad taste of losing two straight NC games out of his mouth. He has excellent size (6-2), and he's the type of shutdown corner that teams are looking for in the NFL. He has also played safety in the nickel package, which makes his stock even higher. He reminds a lot of people of Charles Woodson, the only defensive player to ever win the Heisman.

T Alex Boone - He's struggled a bit in the past two NC games against speed rushers from Florida and LSU, but the blocking scheme of OSU might have a little to do with that. He's your big, mauler LT, much in the same mold as an Orlando Pace or Jonathan Ogden. He'll need to work on his athleticism, but he can play LT in the NFL.

LB Marcus Freeman - He might not go until the second round, but he definitely can move up to the first round if he has a solid senior year. He was the unsung hero for the Bucks against LSU, leading the defense when Laurinaitis failed to step up for some reason. He is extremely athletic and can play a lot in coverage. He'll fit perfectly as an OLB in a 4-3 defense. NFL comparison: Derrick Brooks.

WR Brian Robiskie - Teams have said that they think he'll bloom in the NFL, and that's scary; he's been a top WR at OSU for the past two years. He is another player that came back for his senior year even though there was talk that he'd go high this year. He has great size for a WR (6-3), and he can go up in the air and catch the ball. He also runs very polished routes (better than Ginn, Holmes, and most other recent OSU products), and his dad Terry has been a wide receiver's coach in the NFL for years.

G/T Steve Rehring - A 6-8, 345 pound mauler that can play guard or tackle in the NFL. Lacks speed, so he'll most likely play guard.

S Anderson Russell - Will be just a junior heading into this year, but he's so fit for the NFL game that he might leave early. He's had some injury issues in the past, but teams tend to overlook injuries if they can find a guy like him that can cover and blitz as well as anyone.

By the way, Crabtree has three years of eligibility left, including this year (he redshirted his freshman year).
ThaAxeMurderer7
5/1/08 6:35:43PM
Besides Tyson Jackson and Demetrius Byrd, LSU has two other guys that could go first round. Al Woods, DT, has got both size and strength and in ESPNs mock draft for 2009, they have him in the top 5. Also, Ciron Black is a really good OT and could go in the first round. The funny thing about the draft is between now and next year the top 10 is going to shuffle so much that obvious choices now for a top 5 player will sound absurd in a year.
hippysmacker
5/1/08 8:26:13PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

By the way, Crabtree has three years of eligibility left, including this year (he redshirted his freshman year).

Yes he does have 3 years of eligibility left, but that doesn't mean he won't declare for next years draft, and he will have only 2 left then. All that NFL rules require is that a player be enrolled in college for 3 years before he is eligible for the draft. This is going to be his 3rd college season. If a strict rookie salary cap doesn't get done next year, I think it will be part of any new collective bargaining agreement, especially if there is a lockout/strike. So most top players eligible will probably be coming out next year IMO.