Predictions(Gonzaga/Couture)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Predictions(Gonzaga/Couture)
POLL: Predictions for Gonzaga vs. Couture
Gonzaga (t)ko 35% (17)
Couture (t)ko 22% (11)
Gonzaga (descision) 4% (2)
Couture (descision) 33% (16)
Gonzaga (submission) 4% (2)
Couture (submission 2% (1)
chickmagnet
8/18/07 4:33:40PM
what are your predictions?
DMcCabe11
8/18/07 5:09:49PM
randy couture is a legend and a true master of his art but i think gabe is too powerful young and well rounded....my heart tell me randy TKO round 4 my head tells me Gonzaga KO round 2
Jackelope
8/18/07 5:11:26PM
I've got Randy by Judge's decision.

I think Randy knows fighters better than anyone else in the UFC and that's what's kept him on the top of the rankings. I don't think Randy is going to be surprised by Gonzaga's strength or his ground game. I think Gonzaga is going to be surprised at Randy's ability to work from his back and escape submissions.

There won't be much standing, it'll be mostly a wrestling/bjj match up with Gonzaga in Randy's guard most of the time but Randy with most of the takedowns, some impressive reversals/bjj sweeps and some decent punishment delivered from the bottom. Gonzaga will push for the submission but Randy will make some good escapes and reversals. Overall the takedowns combined with the GnP will edge Randy out for a UD but it will be a close match up. Your average fan will think it's a boring match up but those of us who understand the ground game will be in for one of the most impressive wrestling vs. bjj match ups in MMA history.

of course, I could be way off

JimiMak
8/18/07 5:51:59PM
I've thought long and hard about this match. I think Randy's experience, his gameplan and his conditioning will give him a 4th rd tko. Incredibly hard to figure out what could happen here.
peachfuzzz1305
8/18/07 6:10:46PM
I think Gabe will take this by 3RD Round TKO
shawneth
8/18/07 7:05:07PM
I see Couture mounting a tired Gonzaga in the later rounds and pounding him out to get a TKO victory. For some reason, I dont see Gonzaga having very much in the gas tank and is going to crumble later on.

4th or 5th round GNP for Couture
shawneth
8/18/07 7:07:22PM
I find ity alittle odd that Gonzaga is winning on the poll but none of his supporters are dropping their two cents into how he is going to pull it off.
Jackelope
8/18/07 7:09:35PM

Posted by shawneth

I find ity alittle odd that Gonzaga is winning on the poll but none of his supporters are dropping their two cents into how he is going to pull it off.

and I find it odd that everyone is saying he will KO Couture when his JJ is probably the best thing he's got
Twenty20Dollars
8/18/07 7:18:53PM
Gonzaga tko on the ground 2nd or 3rd round. if not gonzaga is going to ground and pound couture panics and gonzaga catches randy in a submission.
shawneth
8/18/07 7:22:48PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by shawneth

and I find it odd that everyone is saying he will KO Couture when his JJ is probably the best thing he's got

Yeah. If Goonzaga is going to win, I see it being by submission. I think everyone is too caught up in the memory of Gonzaga's headkick. Not saying his striking isnt good though.
Bass
8/18/07 7:25:32PM
i don't buy into the GG hype. Don't get me wrong he is very talented, but he won't beat randy. GG had an impressive knockout over cc and now everybody thinks he some kind of unstoppable monster or something. I blame cc loss more on his being unprepared rather than GG's skill, cc wins in rematch. Also, randy won't make the mistake cc did, he's gonna be ready for GG and won't be surprised by anything that he throughs at him(including a high kick). I am very surprised that GG ahead on this poll. Couture's got this, 4th o 5th round tko. GG's 15 minute's are just about up!
DCRage
8/18/07 9:43:24PM
Couture by UD. As the fight wears on his conditioning will keep him going like it has in the past and Gonzaga will slowly wear down.
three_days_of_grey
8/18/07 11:01:06PM
I honestly dont know if this is going to be as good a fight that it's being made out to be. Gonzaga basically went from Undercard to Icon with one kick. I do think that Couture will be a greater test for Gonzago that Cro-Cop was because:

Couture has a much better ground game than CC. The reason the CC/Gonzaga fight kept standing up is because Gonzago couldnt advance in CC's guard.
Couture has superior physical conditioning and was able to go 25 minutes while giving up a 40+lb differential to Sylvia.
The pressures/expectations of a title fight could be a factor.

My prediction is that Couture wears Gonzaga down and takes it in decision.

-OUT-
matthughes23
8/18/07 11:24:36PM
Couture does his homework and is never surprised by what his opponent brings to fight time. Championship fights have rarely finished in the 4th or 5th rounds. i think the only person who will be surprised by what his opponent brings to fight is GG. That is probably where his downfall will be.

Couture 2nd or 3rd GnP stoppage
JimiMak
8/19/07 12:12:16PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Gonzaga tko on the ground 2nd or 3rd round. if not gonzaga is going to ground and pound couture panics and gonzaga catches randy in a submission.

Randy panic on the ground? noone's made im panic yet, not ricco or josh, i don't think anyone can.
k_lup07
8/19/07 12:56:17PM
gonzaga. im not worried about conditioning because look at him when he ko'd kevin jordan compared to cro cop. plus everytime i see him he looks more fit. of course randy could take and dominate this fight but im agreeing napao's youth and power will overwhelm before rd 3 is over.
Stickan
8/19/07 2:09:44PM

Posted by chickmagnet

What the **** dude?! There are already thousands of threads like this one...

UFCs marketing for this fight must really work....
Jackelope
8/19/07 2:15:13PM

Posted by Stickan

Posted by chickmagnet

What the **** dude?! There are already thousands of threads like this one...

UFCs marketing for this fight must really work....

LOL
backalley101
8/19/07 7:29:15PM
Couture PANICS WOW
griffinisback
8/19/07 7:50:30PM
This will solidify Couture as the greatest UFC champion. Finally better than Hughes. I just hope Cro Cop can get a shot soon so Couture and beat him too.
chickmagnet
8/19/07 11:46:47PM

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by shawneth

thats why he almost killed Cro Cop with a head kick,
I AM PICKING GONZAGA BY KO!!!!!!!!!!!
kimoron
8/20/07 3:15:27AM
randy by tko in the third. randy will have an answer for everything gg has to offer. gg doesnt have a big enough tank to last five rounds at the rate randy fights. gg's standup is not the level of randys so he'll be looking for the "big shot" which will open him up for counters and takedown which will take a lot out of him. i really like gg but this is a fight were i think he will be completely outclassed.
JWils
8/20/07 10:04:57AM
I've got Gonzaga by sub in round 3.....

I'll be rooting for Couture but I just think Gonzaga is a very, very good fighter and deserves the hype he is receiving. He will show he belongs with the big boys at heavyweight.

Hopefully, Randy proves me wrong again.

NatedawgThaM
8/25/07 11:45:41AM
My heart tells me Randy because I've doubted him so many times and he's won easily, like before I knew who won between randy and tito I thought tito prolly destroyed him but randy domianted...

I thought tim would catch him and KO him with some lucky counter jab kinda like Chuck on vernon white but he dominated...

IM scared because GG has that KO power and that gorund game....

My heart says Randy UD, but my brains saying he'll get caught like in the chuck fights in the 2nd or 3rd for the GG TKO...

****! The fightsa in a few hoiurs!!! I can't amke a choice!!!
kofranklin
8/25/07 12:04:21PM
Gonzaga is going to own the whole fight. Gonzaga by TKO in the 2nd.