Are PPV Percentage Contracts Keeping UFC Stars off European Shows?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Are PPV Percentage Contracts Keeping UFC Stars off European Shows?
MMAcca
2/24/09 1:48:58PM
Only one star with a PPV percentage scale built into his contract has ever fought on a European UFC PPV show. His name is BJ Penn, and the show (UFC 80) did 225,000 buys. Given the very small bonus he got, it's no surprise that he doesn't have interest in participating in a tape delay PPV show from Germany.

Anderson Silva was originally pencilled in to fight at UFC 95 from London, but turned it down for similar reasons. He publicly said he wasn't ready, but this is the same guy who wanted to fight 3 weeks after his last one. Now he will ride Liddell's coattails to some decent money in April.

LINK
Wolfenstein
2/24/09 2:03:43PM
I would think Quinton Jackson would have a built in PPV % and he was there at UFC 75.

I can understand the fighters perspective. Why would they want to be on a show in the UK--and have to travel over different time zones to make less money? I think even the fighter bonuses are less.

The problem is the UK isn't a PPV market. It's just comes to a point that if the UK wants great cards, they would have to put forth the kind of money US fans pour into the UFC. You get what you pay for I guess.

I think there is a flipside in that fighters might want to see the bigger picture. If you're on for free, more people are going to see you. Would Quinton Jackson be as popular if he hadn't been on Spike for free and viewed by 5 million plus people? I'm not sure he would be.
postman
2/24/09 2:05:34PM
Intresting! The best part is there really isn't anyone to blame. I have to say BW# is the place to be on the tape delay fightes no one goes its great. I would think if you put a great card on tape delay ppl would buy it. Who knows I say put good cards on for free on spike.
postman
2/24/09 2:07:05PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I would think Quinton Jackson would have a built in PPV % and he was there at UFC 75.

I can understand the fighters perspective. Why would they want to be on a show in the UK--and have to travel over different time zones to make less money? I think even the fighter bonuses are less.

The problem is the UK isn't a PPV market. It's just comes to a point that if the UK wants great cards, they would have to put forth the kind of money US fans pour into the UFC. You get what you pay for I guess.

I think there is a flipside in that fighters might want to see the bigger picture. If you're on for free, more people are going to see you. Would Quinton Jackson be as popular if he hadn't been on Spike for free and viewed by 5 million plus people? I'm not sure he would be.

I'm sure he gained fans from that but I think the Ko of Chuck is what took him to the top
jakeiceman
2/24/09 4:22:41PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Wolfenstein

I'm sure he gained fans from that but I think the Ko of Chuck is what took him to the top

What? Such blasphemy, that never happened

But alas I agree with you.
Tein_Lung
2/24/09 5:40:28PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

honestly a crapton more people would like him if they saw some of his price antics...

things like giving a ref a yellow card...

responding to bas's question of "hows it haning" with " real good i just saved them up"

giving Igor a note from his mom saying "please don';t hurt my son"

things like that are what made me want to see him more so then him on TUF
Red-Dragon
2/24/09 5:40:46PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I see what you are saying about the UK paying if they want to see the top stars but.....If that is the case then surely I should be paying less to go to the event live if these stars are not present??
prozacnation1978
2/24/09 7:42:08PM
i have been saying it all along and what do i get for it, i get banned from this site for a week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!