Most powerful puncher in each division?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Most powerful puncher in each division?
Next Page »
cj_striker
2/18/08 5:50:32PM
Was going to ask most powerful striker, but that leaves it open to too much speculation, with punches, knees, kicks, elbows, etc.? So just going with most powerful puncher.

Let's Debate: Not saying mine are the best and you don't know anything if you disagree, I want to hear your opinions. You may think of someone I couldn't off the top of my head.

HW- #1 Roman Zentsov (knocked out Rizzo in 25 seconds)..... CroCop (still a great striker no matter how much he's struggled lately), Arlovski, Alex Emalienenko are also up there.

LHW-#1 Liddell, even though people may disagree, I'm just too impressed with what he's done against Horn (never been KOed, Chuck stopped him, that's saying something), Couture, Ortiz, Silva....... Rampage, Jardine, Silva (the axe murder) are up there close to the top.

MW- #1 Lawler or Quarry (even though Franklin (my boy) ko'ed him Quarry throws harder, Rich just hit the sweet spot)....Hendo, Anderson Silva, Franklin, Drago, Scott Smith, Leben, Terry Martin..IMO the best p4p hardest punchers division in MMA

WW- #1 Marcus Davis throws some bombs...Chris Lytle, Paul Taylor up there too.

LW-Hardest to chose, between Yves Edwards (at 155), Gomi, Stout, Huerta, Fisher, and Penn, could make a case for all I guess.

Honorable Mention goes to Most Precise Striker-Anderson Silva and Fastest Striker-Vitor Belfort
fedorwins1
2/18/08 5:56:21PM
HW: Tank, can't deny the KO power

LHW: Manhoef , check out video at bottom of my post

MW: Henderson, insane right hand

WW: Davis, KO everyone right now

LW: Gomi, KO everyone in the last couple of years

Manhoef KTFO someone HARD in K-1
TimW001
2/18/08 5:57:27PM
ANDERSON SILVA!

NatedawgThaM
2/18/08 6:16:31PM
HW- Cro Cop
LHW- Melvin Manhoef
MW- Anderson Silva
WW- Marcus Davis
LW- Melvin Guillard
gsquat
2/18/08 6:26:03PM
For starters, Anderson Silva is NOT the most powerful puncher in the middleweight division. He is by far the most accurate and intelligent puncher, but most powerful he isn't. I would agree with the first reply that Dan Henderson would be the most proven power-puncher in that division. Having said that, here is my list...

HW: Arlovski
LHW: Rampage
MW: Hendo
WW: Davis
LW: Franca

cmill21
2/18/08 6:42:19PM
HW: Cro Cop, maybe Fedor or Big Tim, You can't deny Fedor hit's like a freight train(Goodridge Fujita and Zulu) and Big Tim does have a big right
LHW: Randleman(Rampage said he hits the hardest out of anyone he's fought and he's faced Chuck, Wand, Igor, Shogun, and Hendo)
MW: Manhoef(he's about 198 and does fight at 185 from time to time so I put him here) Anderson hits hard but Manhoef is devastating at 205 let alone 185.
WW: Marcus Davis
LW: Razor Rob, maybe BJ, he can hit.

EDIT: Have to add Rizzo and Gomi, can't believe I forgot them.
cj_striker
2/18/08 6:47:25PM
good call on Manhoef at LHW forgot about him completely, and also like Franca and Guillard in LW division, good job guys.....oh and by the way not trying to hype Kimbo anymore than he already is, but I see someone mentioned Tank, who has KTFO of people over the years but what about Kimbo, he may eventually get my vote for heavyweight, we'll have to see if he continues to improve his technique to capitolize on the power we know he has.
Aaronno9
2/18/08 7:04:31PM
HW - Sylvia
LWH - Chuck
MW - Henderson
WW - Davis
LW - Franca
JoeySteel
2/18/08 7:18:21PM
Tough question, a lot of great posts including by the first poster. Good cals fella. BUT why the heck is Huerta on anyone's list. He is good, he is tough, but POWERFUL - NO WAY. The man has terrible power - esp for a big 155er. I have been horribly UNimpressed with his power, that said I am a HUGE fan of his.

Obviously a glaring mistake on what is otherwise some well thought out picks.

hippysmacker
2/18/08 7:30:49PM
Hvy- Rizzo. Absolutely caved in the faces of AA / Barnett, and has dropped plenty
LHVY- Chuck/Page
MDDWT- Manhoef/Hendo
WWT- Penn/Davis
LWT- /Penn/Gomi
FTWT- Kid Yamamoto
loonytnt
2/18/08 7:39:22PM
WW i say power goes to serra, its just power not skill
LuketheDuke
2/18/08 7:45:24PM
HW: Cro Cop
LHW: Rampage
MW: Henderson
WW: Davis
LW: Guillard
SmileR
2/18/08 7:48:48PM
HW: Arlovski - None can deny the power in his right hand!
LHW: Chuck - Proven KO power in both hands an has a who's who of knockouts!
MW: Hendo - Unbelievable right!
WW: Davis - Undeniably the best puncher in that weight.
LW: Gomi - But I'm unsure in this devision.
BlazinSaddle
2/18/08 9:07:27PM
HW: Arlovski, Rizzo, Aleks, Zentsov
LH: Manhoef, Wandy, Rua, Rampage
MW: The Spider, Hendo, Lawler
WW: Davis, GSP, Penn, Fisher
LW: Penn, Ludwig, Gomi, Guillard
FW: Yamamoto, Sudo, Pulver
ocho-cinco
2/18/08 9:08:18PM
HW - Cro Cop, hard to think of anyone who clearly hits harder
LHW - Liddell, can't argue the resume
MW - McFedries, from reputation... and because this is just punches not kicks
WW - Davis, mabey Swick, I'd like to see real test for the Irish hand Grenade
LW - Guillard, throws bombs not dout, but has no sub defense
big_timmy
2/18/08 9:16:09PM
HW - Kimbo. Its about power, not skill.
LHW- Chuck. The best KO artist ever.
MW- Sakara. Yeah he's a chump, but he has good strong hands. Just doesnt know how to fight.
WW- Paul Taylor, Serra
LW- Penn, Stout
Gipper
2/18/08 9:27:18PM
arlovski/cro cop
liddell/soku
hendo
davis/lytle
gomi
blkssncpt
2/18/08 10:04:33PM
Arlovski, Fujita, A. Emelianeko
Liddel, Silva, Rampage, Alexander
Mcfedries, Henderson, Leben
Davis, Serra
Gomi, Crazy Horse, Nick Diaz, BJ

-Rob
gartface
2/18/08 11:01:26PM
HW: Mirko Filipovic
LHW: Chuck Liddell
MW: Nate Quarry
WW: Matt Serra
LW: Charles Bennett
FW: Jens Pulver - Can't believe everyone has left him out.
DevonFoxy
2/18/08 11:06:37PM
HW: Id probably Go with Cro Cop but im not counting out Hong Man Choi as one of the better punches for power if i may add him though he is weighing in at a whopping 350 range. Im sure Kimbo hits hard as well.

LHW: Sokoudjou when you knock out Lil Nog like that and Arona like that im guessing that man has hands of stone. Disappointing showing against Machida but I believe its those pesky UFC jitters.

MW: Dan Henderson ask Wandy and he'll tell you how hard Mr.Henderson hits. With a chin to go along with it .

WW: Marcus Davis has crazy knockout power though theres a lack of good power guys in that division imo.

LW: Gomi hands down. The man is a wrecking machine with his hands. BJ gets honorable mention but P4P Gomi hands hands of pure DY-NO-MITE.
jiujitsufreak74
2/18/08 11:19:40PM
Glad i am seeing some Davis love here good to see that people realize his KO power

Mine:

HW: CC / Rizzo (if you break the orbital bone of Bob Sapp and make him cry...you have KO power. plus CC is a K-1 fighter. Rizzo is a beast who like hippysmacker said KOed Barnett and Arlovski, not to mention he is a four-time Brazilian Muay Thai champion with a record of 31-0-1 (30 KO) in kickboxing

LHW: Rampage (KOed Liddell twice, beat down Randleman, destroyed Marvin eastman and that Fight Science thing he did makes me fear for the other fighters' safeties )

MW: Manhoef (if he counts for 185, i shouldn't have to explain why for him, the man is just a wrecking machine). Anderson Silva (hits accurately, not so sure about hard but i am going to put him in here anyway based on sheer KO capability)

WW: Marcus Davis (i am a little biased, but i still believe he has the best hands in the division. he is a former boxer who was once considered to be the best in the New England circuit at one point. the power behind his hands are just so devastating, just ask Jason Tan or Liaudin and they'll tell you. I can go on and on but i'll stop there)

LW: Gomi (he broke Nick Diaz's orbital bone and he has KO power behind every punch. He is the only fighter to ever KO Ishida and has KO wins over Mach and Pulver as well. i don't think any LW has the stopping power that Gomi has.)

Proof of Rizzo and Davis:

adamal
2/19/08 12:08:25AM
I agree with a lot of what's been said but just to name some guys that have been left out. Cheick Kongo at HW this dude hits REALLY HARD
And though he's down in WEC at 145 Jens' Left is dynamite and has claimed its share of victims.

Anderson is a great striker but the question was only about punching and I don't think he's the most powerful puncher in MW but start a thread asking about devestating knees and that's a different story
MikeBillotto
2/19/08 12:11:22AM
heavyweight: if its about ko power right now is kimbo
Light heavyweight: Rampage no dbout
Middleweight: its a toss up for henderson and silva
Welterweight:i think its GSP
Lightweight: Gomi
Bowen50
2/19/08 12:16:16AM
Heavyweight - Kimbo Slice (he doesn't have much experiece but watch his 2 fights, hes got some insane power)

Lightheavyweight - Rampage

Middleweight - Dan Henderson

Welterweight - Marcus Davis

Lightweight - Huerta
Mastodon2
2/19/08 2:27:49AM
I'd say at HW the crown goes to Aleksander Emelianenko, he hits like a freight train. His KO over Ricardo Morais is just just scary, he throws them so hard and fast for a big lad, his footwork is great for an MMA fighter too, which only helps. If he was just a bit more atheletic and focused, maybes he could be closer to his big brother!

Cro Cop has amazingly powerful punches too, lets not forget the damage he did to Bob Sapp while wearing 10oz boxing gloves. Quite an achievement. Cro Cop, when he is looking like his old self, is also very accurate and intelligent with his punches too, he never wastes energy swinging his arms around unless he knows he is going to connect.

One man who hits harder than both of these guys though, but only fought MMA a few times so I won't give the crown to him, he has better striking all round than these two guys, the absolute beast, Jerome Le Banner. Come on guys, you should expect this from me by now!
Pookie
2/19/08 2:32:29AM

Posted by Mastodon2

I'd say at HW the crown goes to Aleksander Emelianenko, he hits like a freight train. His KO over Ricardo Morais is just just scary, he throws them so hard and fast for a big lad, his footwork is great for an MMA fighter too, which only helps. If he was just a bit more atheletic and focused, maybes he could be closer to his big brother!

Cro Cop has amazingly powerful punches too, lets not forget the damage he did to Bob Sapp while wearing 10oz boxing gloves. Quite an achievement. Cro Cop, when he is looking like his old self, is also very accurate and intelligent with his punches too, he never wastes energy swinging his arms around unless he knows he is going to connect.

One man who hits harder than both of these guys though, but only fought MMA a few times so I won't give the crown to him, he has better striking all round than these two guys, the absolute beast, Jerome Le Banner. Come on guys, you should expect this from me by now!

He did bring hunt down.

Thats an achievement higher than most will ever even come close to.
pv3Hpv3p
2/19/08 10:16:18AM
HW - I know he's K-1 but he's got at least a couple MMA fights under his belt... And Jerome LeBanner hits like a ton of bricks

LHW - I wasn't sure if I shoulda put the Ukraine Freight train, Ice-Cold Igor Vovchanchyn in HW or LHW, but this way I could include JLB as well ... Either way Igor made a career out of ruining peoples' lives with his right hand.

MW - Dangerous Dan Henderson... Known as a beast wrestler, puts people to sleep with his hands on a regular basis for the last decade... Gotta throw out an honerable mention to Robbie Lawler, Cung Le, and Patrick Cote though

WW - Can't really argue about this one, Marcus Davis all the way... Dude brings the thunder

LW - Takanori Fireball Kid Gomi... Don't really need to comment on this one too much... Although I'd like to throw Jens and KID in there... although they're both smaller, they might pack the best #4#-bang-for-your-buck in all of MMA

gsquat
2/19/08 12:45:46PM

Posted by loonytnt

WW i say power goes to serra, its just power not skill

wtf... Ya know the guy has half a bicep in his right arm??? Davis has an entire bicep!

I agree with McFedries as a MW power condtender and Guillard for LW as well.

p.s. Tim Sylvia is not a very powerful puncher.
pv3Hpv3p
2/19/08 12:54:20PM

Posted by gsquat

p.s. Tim Sylvia is not a very powerful puncher.

Because you don't like him? Or what? I'm sure Cabbage, Ricco, Gan McGee, and Arlovski would agree with you though
JBatch
2/19/08 2:31:08PM
HW- Fedor or Slice
LHW- Liddell, RTS
MW- Hendo, Leben
WW- Davis,
LW- Penn, Guillard
Pages: [1] 2