Pound for Pound rankings

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Pound for Pound rankings
« Previous Page | Next Page »
Savy
1/19/07 2:33:43PM
In assembling a P4P list we need to take these fighters out of the "real world" and place them into a fantasy land where everyone is the same height and weight.
Here no fighter has a size advantage and the man with the "best" skill-set should reign supreme.
But it is still complicated.
If I create a 6'2 205 lb Kid Yamamoto, for arguments sake, is he still as explosive and lighting quick as the 5'4 145 lb fighter.
If I create a 5'6 155 lb Fedor, does he still posses the flask KO power in his lead left.
Where exactly is this "imaginary playing field" in which we can properly judge.
hippysmacker
1/19/07 2:36:44PM
It's cool Punisher , I was arguing with my roomate yeserday and I was sure Jason lambert subbed Terry Martin in the 1rst. We watched UFC 59 just to prove it, and I was wrong. I was shocked when Wandy weighed in myself, The announcers made a big deal about it. I didn't know till I watched it the 2nd time after all the people had left my house,and I could hear . Mirko's actually a pretty small HVY so it was only something like 227 to 224.
Savy
1/19/07 2:41:52PM
I think Wanderlei would have better luck at his normal fighting weight.
hippysmacker
1/19/07 3:00:42PM

I agree, a guy should only move up in weight when he's exhausted all possible fights at his weight in his org. I blame the match makers . Shogun can't fight him beause tthey are on the same team, but Lil Nog deserves a shot. Throw in a Wandy/Arona 3, and Wandy/Vitor 2 for starters.
punisherind
1/19/07 3:10:34PM

Posted by hippysmacker
I agree, a guy should only move up in weight when he's exhausted all possible fights at his weight in his org. I blame the match makers . Shogun can't fight him beause tthey are on the same team, but Lil Nog deserves a shot. Throw in a Wandy/Arona 3, and Wandy/Vitor 2 for starters.

well u cant really blame the matchmakers on this one b/c it was an open weight grand prix -- its the nature of the beast. but those fights you suggested would sure be fun to watch, especially lil nog vs. wandy.
Savy
1/19/07 3:22:39PM

Posted by hippysmacker

let me rephrase: I think Wanderlei would have had a better chance defeating Mirko if he had not bulked up for that fight. The heavier Wanderlei lacked the explosiveness we're used to seeing.
hippysmacker
1/19/07 3:26:56PM
It's possible Wandy has a better shot at his normal size, I just think any good technical striker will beat him because he's so wild and overagressive.I think in a worlwide MMA open weight Grand Prix Cro-cop is stll the #2 . I think Wandy falls around #25. Look at all the big heavyweights alone that should beat him.
Savy
1/19/07 3:31:10PM

Posted by hippysmacker

It's possible Wandy has a better shot at his normal size, I just think any good technical striker will beat him because he's so wild and overagressive.I think in a worlwide MMA open weight Grand Prix Cro-cop is stll the #2 . I think Wandy falls around #25. Look at all the big heavyweights alone that should beat him.

Your 100% right.
Because he tends punch wildy and becomes over aggressive, Dan may be able to land a good overhand right when they battle.
punisherind
1/19/07 3:32:25PM

Posted by hippysmacker

maybe wandy didnt hold his own against crocop, but he definitley held his own against mark hunt (who is considered one of the top HWs, not by me, but by many). i personally think wandy shouldve won that fight. i thought it was evenly matched, and wandy shouldve got the nod b/c of the weight differential.
nate22
1/19/07 3:52:17PM

Posted by punisherind

Posted by hippysmacker

maybe wandy didnt hold his own against crocop, but he definitley held his own against mark hunt (who is considered one of the top HWs, not by me, but by many). i personally think wandy shouldve won that fight. i thought it was evenly matched, and wandy shouldve got the nod b/c of the weight differential.

Wandy also Raped Fujita.
hippysmacker
1/19/07 4:04:06PM
That's true , he did Woop fujita. The A. Silva /Leben and Wandy/Fyjita knockouts both happened very close to eachother. It showed anybody can get knocked out(no matter how tough their chin or Head ) from repeated undefended blows. However, I don't think anyone would would make a case for Fujita as a Top 25 World open weight Grand Prix competitor
nate22
1/19/07 4:25:56PM
No, but due to the fact Wandy moved up in weight to face such a tough competitor it adds to the value of the win for Silva in terms of Silvas own P4P status.
Savy
1/19/07 4:28:06PM

Posted by nate22

No, but due to the fact Wandy moved up in weight to face such a tough competitor it adds to the value of the win for Silva in terms of Silvas own P4P status.

Great point.
punisherind
1/19/07 4:33:26PM
hey guys, just wanted to thank everyone for their input... lets keep it going too, this is making my day at work go by a lot faster. lol.

but i also wanted to let everyone know of a new thread i started for the greatest of all time (g.o.a.t.) rankings. id like to read what you guys have to say about it.

check it out:
http://www.mmaplayground.com/forums/topic.aspx?&P=1&ID=221&Highlight=#P1412
Gladiator
1/23/07 10:54:13PM
my greatest pound 4 pound list would go like this:

1)Jorge Gurgel

2)Danni Abbadi

3)Koji Oishi

4)Ross Pointon

5)Kevin Jordan
strikefirstgear
1/24/07 1:58:02AM
For this list:

1. GSP ( I think the most well rounded fighter out there)
2. Fedor (cuz it's a pound for pound)
3. Shogun
4. Lidell
5. Wandy or Crop Cop

Of course this is a very subjective list. Best p4p of all time would be a different story.
peppermintfatty
1/24/07 7:05:41PM
1. Georges St. Pierre
2. Fedor Emelianenko
3. Chuck Liddell
4. B.J. Penn
5. Shogun Rua

If this were expanded beyond UFC and Pride I would have Kid Yamamoto as #1.
pv3Hpv3p
1/24/07 7:17:18PM
1. Giant Silva
2. Bonnar
3. Sam Hoger
4. Baroni
5. Forrest

Sorry I couldn't help myself, lol

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Shogun
4. Big Nog
5. Chuck

(honerable mention to Gomi, only because I think sometimes his ground game isn't there. And I will also add Lindland, the most under-rated fighter in the world (Good luck with Fedor though))
tffdwg38
1/27/07 11:49:23PM
1.. fedor of course
2. crocop
3. liddel
4. gsp
5. wandy
nickcuc547
1/28/07 1:32:20AM
1.Fedor
2.GSP
3.Liddell
4.Gomi
5.Hughes

Shogun, Cro Cop, Noguera, Penn and Wandy would be my next 5
tffdwg38
1/28/07 9:47:42AM
fedor is def #1
xchickox
1/28/07 10:05:58AM
i think when people are rating the top fighters pound for pound they seem to forget a lot of the lighter weight fighters...

...like anderson silva, rich franklin, sean sherk, matt hughes

and there's a lot of others
swazymaq
1/30/07 1:46:38PM
I reckon no one knows what Pound for Pound is?
Chuck does not belong on that list!
A good list is

Fedor
Kid Yamamoto
Gomi
GSP
Shinichi Kojima
Mamoru Yamaguchi
Cro-Cop
Shogun
BJ Penn
Little Nog
swazymaq
1/30/07 1:49:43PM
Fedor
Kid Yamamoto
Shinichi Kojima
Gomi
GSP
Mamoru Yamaguchi
Cro-Cop
Shogun
BJ Penn
Little Nog
Jeffanori-Gomi
1/30/07 2:22:13PM
1. Kid yamamato
2. BJ Penn
3. Fedor
4. Wandy/shogun
5. GSP

Honorable mentions, Gomi, Nogs, Liddell, and..
tuthemaxx
2/1/07 9:08:05PM
1.Fedor
2.Gsp
3.Chuck
4.Wandy
5.Shogun

Soon to be Discused
1 Vera
2 Tyson Griffin
3 Rachad Evans
4 Diego
5 Denis Kang

Never to be Discused
Loudon Sincad
Butterbean
You fill in the rest
shawneth
2/1/07 9:21:30PM
I dont like Pound 4 Pound rankings.... they are more opinions then MMA Weekly rankings are... it truly is impossible to judge two people who will never fight, so im not even gonna start.
gspfan31
2/2/07 2:51:18AM
fedor
shogun
gomi
gsp
chuck/wandy
Jeffanori-Gomi
2/2/07 9:16:26PM

Posted by Gladiator

my greatest pound 4 pound list would go like this:

1)Jorge Gurgel

2)Danni Abbadi

3)Koji Oishi

4)Ross Pointon

5)Kevin Jordan

what about tank abbot, and Ogawa?
GladE8R
2/2/07 11:46:08PM
Fedor (but I will move him if he doesnt fight someone for a title or someone ranked in the top 5 HW's soon)
Chuck
Cro Cop
W. Silva
GSP or Gomi or Shogun(cant decide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3