Pound for Pound rankings

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Pound for Pound rankings
Next Page »
punisherind
1/18/07 1:02:18PM
This list is my personal rankings of UFC and Pride fighters as if they were fighting at the same weight (I am trying to keep it to UFC and Pride only as most people are familiar with those orgs). And I've kept it to a top 5 because anything more will leave too much room for argument. I'm anticipating some controversy from this thread, so by all means feel free to shoot me your comments, criticisms, and your own rankings.

1. Fedor Emelianenko
2. Takanori Gomi
3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
4. Wanderlei Silva
5. Chuck Liddell
Savy
1/18/07 1:18:31PM
1 Fedor
2 Chuck
3 Mirko
4 Shogun
5 Wanderlei
punisherind
1/18/07 1:22:07PM
interesting. i forgot about shogun. not sure if i would rank him above wandy or chuck, or whether he would fall at #6. good list though. i think noguiera is better than crocop, but im sure we could argue that all day.

Savy
1/18/07 1:29:08PM
Don't sleep on Shogun. Ingore his broken arm against Coleman and my man is 11-0 in Pride. He fought 4 matches in '06, 5 matches in '05. He beat Rampage, lil Nog, Overeem, Arona, Randleman and Nakamura.
He should be near the top of any P4P list.
Nakamura and Rogerio Nogueira lost to Shogun via unamimous decisions. The other 9 bit the dust in the first round.
punisherind
1/18/07 1:33:48PM
i hear ya bro. not saying he doesnt deserve consideration, just that i forgot to consider him. lol. off the top of my head, i would probably place him above wandy, dropping chuck off the rankings.

fedor
gomi
noguiera
shogun
wandy
Kazmierz21
1/18/07 10:44:42PM
1)Fedor
2)Gomi
3)Shogun
4)GSP
5)Chuck

DoTheMMAth
1/18/07 11:02:03PM
1) Fedor
2) Gomi
3) Chuckwagon
4) GSP
5) Kimbo Slice

ok... j/k

5) Big Nog
meier
1/18/07 11:18:41PM
1. Liddell
2. Gomi
3. Vera
4. GSP
5. Jardine & Cro Cop Tie
www-WeLoan-us
1/18/07 11:19:59PM
chuck # 5? Wow below Silva?? What about Cro Cop?
Kazmierz21
1/18/07 11:20:36PM

Posted by meier

1. Liddell
2. Gomi
3. Vera
4. GSP
5. Jardine & Cro Cop Tie

What the hell did you smoke before you responded to this - I will wager you all of my funny money against Jardine in his next fight - Dean of Mean - hahahahahah
Moneymakers911
1/19/07 12:08:36AM
1) Fedor
2) Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
3) Takanori Gomi
4) Shogun
5) Wanderlei Silva

n0xin
1/19/07 12:55:42AM
1. Fedor Emelianenko
2. Maurico "Shogun" Rua
3. Wanderlei Silva
4. Chuck Liddell
5. George St. Pierre

remember people, its pound for pound.
loller90278
1/19/07 2:13:23AM
1.. fedor of course
2. crocop
3. liddel
4. gsp
5. shogun/barnett
nate22
1/19/07 7:38:15AM
Kid always makes my top five in P4P.
debo5341
1/19/07 10:34:31AM
im gonna have to go with butterbean filling all five spots.
cowcatcher
1/19/07 10:58:26AM
Fedor
GSP
Shogun
Chuck
CroCop

GSP pound for pound is IMO as good as anyone, he has all the tools, strength, speed, striking, subs, and takedown def, but to put anybody ahead of Fedor now would be an invite for flaming
punisherind
1/19/07 10:58:50AM

Posted by www-WeLoan-us

chuck # 5? Wow below Silva?? What about Cro Cop?

Yea, i knew people wouldnt like my arguably low ranking of Chuck. I will admit, I'm not the biggest fan of Chuck (not because I don't think he's nice, but moreso b/c everyone and their mother sweats him). So yes, I am a little biased there. But hey, I still think he should be ranked 5/6, which isnt too shabby. If I did a top 10 ranking, Cro Cop would definitley be on there.
punisherind
1/19/07 11:00:26AM

Posted by Moneymakers911

1) Fedor
2) Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
3) Takanori Gomi
4) Shogun
5) Wanderlei Silva

let me take a wild guess, you are a Pride fan? lol. I like your rankings moneymaker; very similar to mine.
punisherind
1/19/07 11:02:57AM

Posted by nate22

This is why i made it UFC and Pride only, didnt think too many people would know about Yamamoto-san. If we did a P4P ranking of all organizations, Kid would definitley deserve some consideration...
punisherind
1/19/07 11:05:56AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

1) Fedor
2) Gomi
3) Chuckwagon
4) GSP
5) Kimbo Slice

ok... j/k

5) Big Nog

HAHAHA... if we included illegal bare knuckle brawlers, Kimbo Slice would be #1! lol.

Anyway, nice rankings Fireballin Mod. I was trying to squeeze GSP into my ranks, but couldnt find a way to do it. One more big win and I will have to bump him in there.
nate22
1/19/07 11:24:13AM

Posted by punisherind

Posted by nate22

This is why i made it UFC and Pride only, didnt think too many people would know about Yamamoto-san. If we did a P4P ranking of all organizations, Kid would definitley deserve some consideration...

My bad, I didn't realise it was only between Pride and UFC.
Unkoman
1/19/07 11:53:30AM
1. Fedor( I do not think he is human)
2. Chuck ( Looks sloppy but you can't argue with results.
3. Shogun ( Hes a machine)
4. Gomi ( Crazy fun to watch and always fights to win- Tim should watch him and learn.
5. Genki Sudo - I know he's K1 and says hes retired. But how often has he fought someone his own size.
6. Wanderlei ( no need to elaberate.)

nate22
1/19/07 12:00:14PM

Posted by Unkoman

1. Fedor( I do not think he is human)
2. Chuck ( Looks sloppy but you can't argue with results.
3. Shogun ( Hes a machine)
4. Gomi ( Crazy fun to watch and always fights to win- Tim should watch him and learn.
5. Genki Sudo - I know he's K1 and says hes retired. But how often has he fought someone his own size.
6. Wanderlei ( no need to elaberate.)

LOLOLOLLOLLOLOL at Genki, get a grip, yes how often does he fight people his own size?

He is not even top 10 LW, struggles to make top 15. Never fought a top ten competitor.

Please consider how he got struck out by Kid also who is actually not Genki's own size.

hippysmacker
1/19/07 12:55:58PM
1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Liddell
4. Kid Yamamoto
5. Hughes
6. Lil Nog
7. Lindland
8. Sherk
9. Shogun
10. Gomi
11. Cro-cop
12. A. Silva
13. Big Nog
14. Hendo
15. Wandy

MMA
1/19/07 1:12:21PM
So many people overrating Wanderlei Silva; people are listing Silva but forgetting Filipovic. If he wanted to, he could make weight and just take the belt from Silva.

St. Pierre is probably a better P4P fighter than Wanderlei as well. He is physically strong and has good strikes, awesome cardio, excellent takedown defence, and great grappling. The only thing he lacks is probably KO power (in his hands) and has a questionable chin.

Doing P4P ranking is hard because there are so many things to consider. Main factors to consider are overall skills, experience, and wins/losses (level of competition, recent wins, etc.). Biggest thing to remember is that MMA math does not work!
punisherind
1/19/07 1:21:31PM

Posted by hippysmacker

1. Fedor
2. GSP
3. Liddell
4. Kid Yamamoto
5. Hughes
6. Lil Nog
7. Lindland
8. Sherk
9. Shogun
10. Gomi
11. Cro-cop
12. A. Silva
13. Big Nog
14. Hendo
15. Wandy

Lil Nog above Big Nog? Wheres the logic in that? I also think you ranked Sherk too high and Wandy too low, but everyone has their own opinion I guess.
punisherind
1/19/07 1:25:50PM

Posted by MMA

So many people overrating Wanderlei Silva; people are listing Silva but forgetting Filipovic. If he wanted to, he could make weight and just take the belt from Silva.

St. Pierre is probably a better P4P fighter than Wanderlei as well. He is physically strong and has good strikes, awesome cardio, excellent takedown defence, and great grappling. The only thing he lacks is probably KO power (in his hands) and has a questionable chin.

Doing P4P ranking is hard because there are so many things to consider. Main factors to consider are overall skills, experience, and wins/losses (level of competition, recent wins, etc.). Biggest thing to remember is that MMA math does not work!

I dont know about that. Wandy held his own against CroCop in the last Pride Grand Prix, and CroCop outweighed him by a good 20-30 lbs. I also dont think CroCop can cut that much weight without it impacting his strength and conditioning. With respect to GSP, youre probably right that he's better P4P than Wandy, but I would like to see him get one more big win before I put him in my rankings.

And you hit the nail on the head when you said that P4P rankings are difficult. There really is no right or wrong answer, its all subjective. (Except the guys who ranked Jardine and Sudo, they were wrong. lol.) But thats the beauty of it, it sparks alot of debate -- which is always good in my opinion.
cowcatcher
1/19/07 1:28:45PM

Posted by punisherind

And you hit the nail on the head when you said that P4P rankings are difficult. There really is no right or wrong answer, its all subjective. (Except the guys who ranked Jardine and Sudo, they were wrong. lol.)

BWAHAHAHAH, 100% accurate, funny cuz its true
hippysmacker
1/19/07 1:33:21PM
Actually Wandy outweighed cro-cop in that fight, and I'm shocked you think he held his own. If Pride hadn't given him 3+ minutes to recover while checking his cut, I was afraid Cro-cop was gonna kill him. As it is he knocked him out right after the extended break and Wandy hardly did anything from start to finish. I think you may be thinking of their first fight when cro-cop came over from K-1 and was tentative. Even though it was ruled a draw (as part of a pre-fight agreement if nobody got KOed) I think if there legitamite scoring for the first fight Wandy would have won.
punisherind
1/19/07 2:01:11PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Actually Wandy outweighed cro-cop in that fight, and I'm shocked you think he held his own.

Did he really? If that is true, then I have to reassess my opinion of the last fight. When I say Wandy "held his own", I was taking into consideration that he was outweighed by a lot. If what you say is true, my assessment is way off.
Pages: [1] 2 3