UFC Pound for pound belt!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » UFC Pound for pound belt!!!
tdietel01
3/5/08 10:07:59AM
Why couldnt the ufc have a pound for pound title belt?!? A belt open to all weight classes would be awesome and create some really good fights...... GSP vs liddell? silva vs rampage? Forrest vs arlovski? sherk vs silva? IMO this would create some of the best fights we could imagine! what do you think?
grappler0000
3/5/08 10:18:39AM

Posted by tdietel01

Why couldnt the ufc have a pound for pound title belt?!? A belt open to all weight classes would be awesome and create some really good fights...... GSP vs liddell? silva vs rampage? Forrest vs arlovski? sherk vs silva? IMO this would create some of the best fights we could imagine! what do you think?

That would actually be an Open Weight belt, not a P4P belt...and the Athletic Commission would never allow it anyway.
tdietel01
3/5/08 10:21:16AM
ok make that an open weight belt!
juanez13
3/5/08 10:25:40AM

Posted by tdietel01

ok make that an open weight belt!

Like Grappler said, the commission's wouldn't allow it, thats why weight classes were introduced into MMA (more so UFC, since they didnt have weight classes) so that Miss matches where a guy would out weigh the other by 100 pounds or more and whatnot wouldn't happen, The commission is responsible for the fighter's safety and this would have a chance of the fighters being seriously injured. so wont happen.

But as a fantasy thought it would be cool to see something like a Open-weight P4P GP, so you have guys like fedor, GSP, Silva, Rampage etc....and im sure there would be quite a few surprised as far as how the matches go. but realistically this would never happen.
Silent-Sir
3/5/08 11:41:57AM
As much as I'd like to some of the fights this would create, it will never happen. The commissions will never sanction an event like this for one simple reason, it would allow for match-ups like Tim Sylvia vs. Mark Hominick. While fights like this most likely wouldn't happen, just the possibility is enough for the commissions to ban such an event.
Flip
3/5/08 6:29:59PM
Unfortunately legal issues will never let this happen. R.I.P. Pride.
jrmmaclassics
3/5/08 8:14:33PM
I am trying to introduce a new MMA tournament putting other orgs. best fighters against each other in a tournament. And who ever wins gets bragging rights. They would have a draft, and could trade fighters, would be great.
cspecial
3/6/08 2:12:11AM
yeah i remember wanderlei losing to mark hunt by decision in a bushido tournament... mark hunt was 94 lbs heavier... i wish the ufc would allow something like that.... at least like a 2 or 3 weight class either way open weight fight ya know?
gsquat
3/6/08 10:00:37AM
An open weight belt would bring us back to the human cockfighting days of MMA.
mrsmiley
3/6/08 10:15:04AM

Posted by cspecial

yeah i remember wanderlei losing to mark hunt by decision in a bushido tournament... mark hunt was 94 lbs heavier... i wish the ufc would allow something like that.... at least like a 2 or 3 weight class either way open weight fight ya know?

Yeah that was a good fight.Silva got robbed,but it was good.
bls1919
3/7/08 10:40:40PM
i think and open weight belt with a 2 weight class limit would be great and amke for very good fights. But it will never happen
Pookie
3/7/08 10:42:13PM

Posted by bls1919

i think and open weight belt with a 2 weight class limit would be great and amke for very good fights. But it will never happen

Kpro
3/8/08 12:58:51AM
Yeah, let's do this instead of try to get MMA legalized in more states.