UFC 94 poster of 'St. Pierre vs Penn'

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC 94 poster of 'St. Pierre vs Penn'
MMAcca
1/13/09 11:43:49PM
ohiostate1016
1/13/09 11:49:14PM
ChokeUout
1/14/09 1:52:31AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that the flag of England over Bj Penn, the American's, Shoulder?
loller90278
1/14/09 2:00:11AM
i believe its the Hawaiian flag
Wolfenstein
1/14/09 2:14:25AM
Yeah apparenlty the hawaiian flag is pretty similar...

Why is he wearing a state flag though? It seems kind of silly to have George holding up his country's flag, and here we have a guy from the US holding up his state flag.
DCRage
1/14/09 6:39:37AM
BJ's Hawaiian. Represents his heritage.

Edit: This is the actual Hawaiian flag to avoid any confusion:
Wolfenstein
1/14/09 6:56:56AM

Posted by DCRage

BJ's Hawaiian. Represents his heritage.

Underdstandable, but you would think someone in the UFC marketing department would look at that poster and say, "Hey some people might look at that and think it's Brittain vs Canada." I mean obviously anyone who knows MMA knows BJ isn't sporting a Brittish flag but I'm sure someone who doesn't watch MMA would see that poster and think it was a UK vs Canada rivalry.
DCRage
1/14/09 7:05:22AM
See above. I posted the actual Hawaiian flag.
ohiostate1016
1/14/09 9:37:35AM
They could've had GSP wear the Quebec flag...

gsquat
1/14/09 10:18:52AM
Cool, minus the retarded flag confusion. It does look like a British flag. And anyone who doesn't know what the Hawaiin flag looks like would assume that to be a British flag by looking at the poster. It should be a Canadian flag vs an American flag. Flaggot.
Franklinfan47
1/14/09 12:13:23PM
Seriously awesome poster
Solidus
1/14/09 12:26:25PM

Posted by Wolfenstein
Why is he wearing a state flag though? It seems kind of silly to have George holding up his country's flag, and here we have a guy from the US holding up his state flag.

BJ's a seperatist!
RedCloud
1/14/09 12:34:59PM
Seriously, besides the flag drama... Thats the dopest UFC poster yet. You know its going to be a serious match!

BJ Penn is SUPER deep into the decolonization of Hawaii... Thus the traditional music when he enters the ring instead of Linkin Park or whatever is trendy at the moment. Extremely involved in keeping Hawaii native/indigenous and i can respect that.

On a side note i cant wait to see that Spike special that follows both of them around.
MFOTHER
1/14/09 2:52:44PM
i liked it alot when i saw it. who cares abut the flags?
bj already repreented usa againts gsp on that Canada v USA card they had
The_Italian_Stallion
1/14/09 3:07:32PM
Right now I am a second semester senior in high school... and I can honestly say that at this point I am looking more forward to this than I am to graduating... (Which I am looking forward to a lot and I expect a ton more in the later weeks!!!)
jiujitsufreak74
1/14/09 5:34:03PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Hawaii is so far away from the actual Continental United States that it is easier to identify it's inhabitants as Hawaiian and not "American". It is easier to market him as a Hawaiian than it is as an American imo, plus he is very proud of his heritage like others have said. it is the same reason why Kendell Grove wears his flag.
jocka
1/14/09 8:00:31PM
The poster is very nice for sure but i don't think they should of involved flags. Still who cares what the poster looks like that fight is one i ve been waiting for man i just can't wait....