Last Post Needed For Kimbo

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Last Post Needed For Kimbo
cj_striker
2/18/08 12:30:19PM
This is the last post needed for Kimbo. I have commented at least five times in the past hour on different Kimbo posts, so lets sum it up and let it go at least until his next fight.....Kimbo's fight vs. Tank, forget the shots to the back of the head, it happens to new fighters in MMA, they break some rules on accident due to being over anxious and some nervous to a certain extent. Kimbo and Tank could fight ten times and Kimbo would probably win at least nine of them if not ten.......Kimbo's next fight, if they definitely want a win, put Thompson in front of him, if they want to challenge him put Shamrock or Ricco in front of him, if either is strong enough to take him down (that's a big if), they would definitely test his ground game and probably submit him at this point, but IMO they probably wouldn't get the chance to take him down, his take down defense looked good against take even though Tank only really had one good attempt, Tank benched 600 lbs. and is a good wrestler, so to me that's impressive to stuff his take down..Then on to Big Foot, that could go either way (not saying Kimbo could beat him, just saying it could be a good fight for Kimbo) Big Foot definitely has every advantage at least it would seem, except for maybe punching power and they may even be about equal on boxing technique, but otherwise 99% of knowledgeable MMA fans would say Big Foot would beat him based on skill alone. But if Kimbo performs well even in a losing effort to Big Foot that would make him look really good.....And last Kimbo's future, he will very shortly be way to big a name to stay with Elite XC, the UFC will sign him most likely just because he'll make them money, and that will be good for Kimbo if he does win against some quality opponents, he will need better competition. Big Foot and him both would be an excellent pick up for the UFC. Bottom line Kimbo will do well in this sport, but how well is up to him. If he keeps surrounding himself with people like Bas, and training very hard with these guys, he will have the ability to one day be a top ten HW, if just needs to work his ass off, so it has a chance of happening sooner than later, due to his age. And that's pretty much it. Balls in Kimbo's hands, lets see what he does with it. Because there's no way they can keep putting cans and has beens in front of him.
Evilwig
2/18/08 1:21:02PM
Why so much hype on Kimbo.
I really don't get it, his fights so far are boring without showing anything technical or kind of skills. All he is doing: it's rushing head-on throwing fist like a two bits thug. So why the hype, is it for the kind supposed "Brutality or Street fight action" that people are so much into it.

For my part, this guy doesn't bring anything interesting to the sport and I'm kinda sick of hearing about him. All I see it's a bunch of people liking him because he's "so" on the edge or some crap like that. I guess the people who like him are the same kind of people who are booing at fights....

This guy is exactly what cause trouble and negativity to the sport in the first place...
To me MMA is not about a big guy fighting like a madman , I want to see skill, technique and strategy. I don't think Kimbo would last a round against somebody who's not too old or half drunk...

All these thread about Kimbo are making lesnar interesting, at least he had the decency of fighting a worthy opponent on his second fight.
cj_striker
2/18/08 1:27:36PM
Actually agree with you to a certain extent, that's why I tried to sum it all up for everyone so they can just stop talking about him until he gets some legit wins. But in his defense as far as Lesnar goes, Lesnar is in the UFC so he pretty much had to fight at least someone fairly legit, where as Kimbo doesn't have that, he needs out of Elite XC, because Big Foot is pretty much the only legit HW (Ricco just isn't there anymore, in a lot of ways). But it really doesn't matter that's what goes on in these forums, people speculate and predict what they think will happen, just how it goes.
loonytnt
2/18/08 1:30:31PM
you cant say the hit to the back of the head did nothin, a hard hittin HW hits you in the back of the head 3x is bug imo, but yeah tank was not going to win
casey64
2/18/08 1:40:03PM
I think that Kimbo should face some more highlighted opponents than what he has you know what i mean then I think that after those opponents if he wins bring him to the ufc and see what he can do imo
cj_striker
2/18/08 2:05:04PM
Yeah, I wasn't saying the shots to the back of the head did nothing, I'm sure they f**ked Tank's world up, but as you said he wasn't winning that fight anyway. I was just saying it happens and the ref should have taken a point away and given Tank the time he needed, but when the ref asked Tank if he was ready he said yeah.
jocksmall
2/18/08 2:09:53PM
i like kimbo and i believe he has a chance to be a contender one day. dont see why so many poeple hate him. it seems like the guy is working hard and trying to improve. one day many of you will have to eat your words
bezun
2/18/08 2:19:35PM
Imo he isn't doing anytjing detrimental to the image of the sport. Crazyhorse, maybe, but kimbo works hard and is improving. He throws crazy beause he has the power to drop one if he connects. As far as him and big foot, I see big foot being pushed into contention status as it seems they are working to build his wins against credible opponents. Kimbo on the other hand is working his way up from total cans to reputable opponents. I feel that it would be a mistake to put the two together simply because they are at different points of their respective careers. Beating Ricco is huge. Beating Tank give you some cred. but not enough to throw him up with the top fighters. Good things will happen in time for both of them, just soones rot bigfoot.
cj_striker
2/18/08 2:22:58PM
I hope you were just referring to evilwig's comments at least in this post because I by no means am bashing Kimbo, I really like this guy, just check out my top ten fav. fighters. I am just agreeing with evilwig about all the hype, because he hasn't fought any real contenders yet. But I fully hope this guy does great and believes he will.
bezun
2/18/08 2:23:49PM
Ya dude, your fine
cj_striker
2/18/08 2:30:12PM
yeah that's cool bezun, I was actually writing it to jocksmall
casey64
2/18/08 2:43:32PM

Posted by jocksmall

i like kimbo and i believe he has a chance to be a contender one day. dont see why so many poeple hate him. it seems like the guy is working hard and trying to improve. one day many of you will have to eat your words

what are you talking about
Gipper
2/18/08 2:48:14PM
bottom line....kimbo needs more fights against better competition to work his way up the mma hw food chain. it all depends who he can beat and how. i guess we'll find out sooner or later.
Evilwig
2/18/08 2:55:33PM
Maybe I'm bashing Kimbo a bit but the hype is just really getting on my nerve.
Just listing to Stephen Quadros all getting worked up after the fight; It was like, he just seen the greatest fight of his life, it's those type of thing that bug me.

Maybe kimbo will be a great fighter in the near future but right now I wouldn't list him in the top 100 fighters. And I just don't think that he deserves all that attention he's getting right now. Him being a main event seem exaggerated to me.

He can throw a punch and have alot of power that's for sure but I think mma is more than that and having someone like him receiving this much hype doesn't do justice to the sport.
loonytnt
2/18/08 3:10:19PM
kimbo needs a lot of work, he is a streetfighter and thats it, he dont act like a pro. kimbo will not be a top 10 fighter ever imo, the guy has the tools to do it but the way he fights i dont see it happenin, if he comes into ever fight thinin its a street fight its going be bad for him
bls1919
2/18/08 7:46:41PM
IMO Kimbo is improving with all of his fights. And how can you bash a guy for fighting who hes told to fight, cmon these fights aren't set up by him. I think his next fight should be against Ricco and i think he will overpower and dominate him. This guy comes to kill you plain and simple. Did you see his eyes when the ref had it stopped for the mouth guard? All he wanted was to go after Tank.
bezun
2/19/08 5:07:33PM
Now that Buentello wants to fight Kimbo, it would seem as if he is steadily climbing up in competition. If he beats Buentello I say Shamrock, then bigfoot, then see where the heavyweight picture looks. He would be 5-o and may have a chance at fighting the contenders.
bls1919
2/20/08 7:10:58PM
A fight with Beuntello would be great. A much harder fight against a guy who has a decent reputation. He once fought for UFC gold against AA and i think held the Strikeforce title at one point? i think.
Red-Dragon
2/21/08 5:53:10PM

Posted by Evilwig

Why so much hype on Kimbo.
I really don't get it, his fights so far are boring without showing anything technical or kind of skills. All he is doing: it's rushing head-on throwing fist like a two bits thug. So why the hype, is it for the kind supposed "Brutality or Street fight action" that people are so much into it.

For my part, this guy doesn't bring anything interesting to the sport and I'm kinda sick of hearing about him. All I see it's a bunch of people liking him because he's "so" on the edge or some crap like that. I guess the people who like him are the same kind of people who are booing at fights....

This guy is exactly what cause trouble and negativity to the sport in the first place...
To me MMA is not about a big guy fighting like a madman , I want to see skill, technique and strategy. I don't think Kimbo would last a round against somebody who's not too old or half drunk...

All these thread about Kimbo are making lesnar interesting, at least he had the decency of fighting a worthy opponent on his second fight.

I like Kimbo and I found his fight exciting to watch. I also love the technical aspect of MMA and I DONT boo when a fight takes place completely on the ground so on that point you are most definately wrong.