UFC 83 Post-Fight Press Conference

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » UFC 83 Post-Fight Press Conference
juanez13
4/20/08 8:26:33AM
--The bonuses were 75,000. Maia won best submission, the Goulet fight got fight of the night, and KO of the night went to Jason Macdonald.

--Matt Serra v. Matt Hughes is probably next for Serra.

--Dana was "amazed" by Jason Day, suggesting he has landed himself a UFC gig.

--Asked about the Quarry / Starnes fight, Dana said “It takes 2 to fight and only Nate came to fight. Starnes is gonna wake up tommorow and wish he’d fought that fight differently.

--Dana said it’s “not a bad idea” for GSP to move up to face Anderson Silva. Asked if GSP could move up to fight Silva but still keep his belt, Dana said he’d have to talk to GSP about it. This is at the same time GSP walks into the room.

--Dana again says Fitch is #1 contender.

--GSP said that getting into an exchange with Serra was the worst thing he could do. Said that a slugfest is like flipping a coin, whoever connects first is going to win. So he never wants to fight like that.

--GSP says he has a lot of jobs to do at 170 before considering a move up in weight. Plus he says he has lots of training partners at 185 and never wants to fight a friend.

--Dana gave props to Demian Maia, said he was impressed.

--Dana said Hughes/Serra was supposed to happen and didn’t happen, so they’ll try to make it happen.

--Quarry talks about getting back into the sport after career ending back surgery. Said he called Kalib out when he first came back and Kalib’s camp refused it because Quarry ‘wasn’t worthy’ so it was something of a grunge match.

LINK
grappler0000
4/20/08 8:51:55AM

Posted by juanez13

...Quarry ‘wasn’t worthy’ so it was something of a grunge match.

Is that when two guys slug it out in a garage in Seattle?
jgtribbett
4/20/08 9:27:47AM

Posted by juanez13

--The bonuses were 75,000. Maia won best submission, the Goulet fight got fight of the night, and KO of the night went to Jason Macdonald.

--Matt Serra v. Matt Hughes is probably next for Serra.

--Dana was "amazed" by Jason Day, suggesting he has landed himself a UFC gig.

--Asked about the Quarry / Starnes fight, Dana said “It takes 2 to fight and only Nate came to fight. Starnes is gonna wake up tommorow and wish he’d fought that fight differently.

--Dana said it’s “not a bad idea” for GSP to move up to face Anderson Silva. Asked if GSP could move up to fight Silva but still keep his belt, Dana said he’d have to talk to GSP about it. This is at the same time GSP walks into the room.

--Dana again says Fitch is #1 contender.

--GSP said that getting into an exchange with Serra was the worst thing he could do. Said that a slugfest is like flipping a coin, whoever connects first is going to win. So he never wants to fight like that.

--GSP says he has a lot of jobs to do at 170 before considering a move up in weight. Plus he says he has lots of training partners at 185 and never wants to fight a friend.

--Dana gave props to Demian Maia, said he was impressed.

--Dana said Hughes/Serra was supposed to happen and didn’t happen, so they’ll try to make it happen.

--Quarry talks about getting back into the sport after career ending back surgery. Said he called Kalib out when he first came back and Kalib’s camp refused it because Quarry ‘wasn’t worthy’ so it was something of a grunge match.

LINK

i am slightly interested in Serra/Hughes... its gonna be a good fight. I'm pissed that I havent seen the Maia fight, I knew that he would dominate. Quarry looked very robotic last night. Kenny Florian said "smooth" but I thoguht that he was the opposite. i'm also so pissed at Kalib Starnes.. He didnt run away from Belcher..****. And he stood and banged well with Belcher.
DCRage
4/20/08 9:53:01AM
I agree with most but not all of what Dana said. Obviously I don't want to see Serra in UFC again, even if it's a Hughes fight. On GSP-Silva, I think that might be asking a little too much of GSP-it does show how good Silva is right now and the lack of new suitable challengers in the MW division, but GSP just won the WW belt. Give him time to establish his legacy as Champion. I do agree with what GSP said about it though. Maia is now definitely one to watch, another rising star in the making.
Porch28
4/20/08 10:22:07AM
Ill tell you what I wanted Serra to win very badly. My props to GSP
Tailgunner
4/20/08 10:40:03AM

Posted by Porch28

Porch I gots your new Avatar ready for ya.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
StevieC
4/20/08 10:54:57AM
Maia's sub was sick!
otacon279
4/20/08 11:46:46AM

Posted by StevieC

Maia's sub was sick!

he is the best BJJplayer in the ufc.

I just wish his BJJ was as good as his stand up. because I know he is going to have problems down the road
prozacnation1978
4/20/08 11:52:19AM
i will say it for the last time like i did months ago, why the quarry fight and danzig fight even made the main card was criminal!!!!!! i wanted to see the ed herman fight badly as well as the rich clementi fight . now i know what i am talking about!!!! lousy fights on the card last night. that starnes match almost made me wanna puke, i really think starnes might have punched his ticket out of the ufc with that dismal display. with that said, i hate bisping but man did he look like a totally different fighter, 185 class look out!!!!!!!!!!
fitch vs gsp and serra vs hughes finally, i pray one of those matches goes to anaheim. i am looking forward to ufc 84 more than any other card this year.. bring it on!!!!! sherk vs penn
tepid55
4/20/08 12:34:35PM
GSP vs Fitch would be amazing.
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/20/08 2:28:42PM
I actually was at the event. It was f*cking nuts, unbelievable, never seen anything like it. I give MAAAAAAJOR props to Nate Quarry for ridiculing and making a fool out of starnes. like Dana said, he didint come to fight, u could see that he didin't wanna fight, it was quite shocking being in Canada. The Doerksen MacDonald fight was also pretty freaking amazing, those guys just really gave they're all and went all out, despite losing Doerksen is crazy tough resisting to 2 sunk in pretty deep guillotine chokes. I could blabber about this all day, It was just crazy really. Can't wait till Dana comes back to Montreal.

GSP IS THE CHAAAAAAMP
jiujitsufreak74
4/20/08 2:37:48PM

Posted by otacon279

Posted by StevieC

Maia's sub was sick!

he is the best BJJplayer in the ufc.

I just wish his BJJ was as good as his stand up. because I know he is going to have problems down the road

well to say he is the best BJJ practitioner in the UFC can be interpreted in different ways. do you mean the most decorated in terms of BJJ or the best BJJ to MMA transition? just curious to see what you meant. anyway...his stand up has looked crisp and he seems somewhat comfortable on his feet. he isn't like Mir or Nogueira but more like Almeida with his stand up in that he looks like he isn't out of place. it is just that he knows he is in the best position to win on the ground so he decides to take it there and get a submission victory. i personally think he is the future of the MW division and is a hard fight for anyone on the division. i would honestly lean towards picking him against Franklin...especially after the Lutter fight. of course every fighter needs to be somewhat well rounded but it is my belief that his stand up is at a good level right now and that it isn't like he is sloppy or weak on the feet.
Porch28
4/20/08 3:25:20PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by Porch28

And how long to I have to keep this lovely piece of art????
Porch28
4/20/08 3:42:18PM
On when he sold the UFC:
"There have been almost no stars created since."

-- Yamma CEO Bob Meyrowitz is inteviewed by Sherdog.com's Greg Savage after Yamma's inaugural event Friday evening.

I thought this belonged here just to show how stupid this man really is
babytater03
4/20/08 6:14:34PM

Posted by Tailgunner

Posted by Porch28

sad to hear this Porch dude

StevieC
4/20/08 6:47:18PM
I hope Starnes never fights in the UFC again, he obviously doesn't want to fight, last night was pathetic, I guess he just knew he would of gotten knocked out anyway....
MadDog
4/20/08 9:22:50PM
WoW!!!!!!! what a night guys i was there and the place;s was rockin....all great fights nexted for one... u all know who that was..WOW i hope he never fights again... for all who missed it and could not see it LIVE... HAHAHAHA... the best card ever.....and biggest show..... "rock on .. never tapout"
Porch28
4/20/08 9:28:48PM

Posted by StevieC

I hope Starnes never fights in the UFC again, he obviously doesn't want to fight, last night was pathetic, I guess he just knew he would of gotten knocked out anyway....

Or Lutter
StevieC
4/20/08 9:45:09PM

Posted by Porch28

Posted by StevieC

Or Lutter

Sure. But at least Lutter did something getting Franklin in an armbar, sweet escape by Franklin on that by the way....Starnes did nothing but run...
jakeiceman
4/21/08 12:48:49AM
This is off topic but does anyone know who did the remix to the "Rocky" theme for Serra's entrance???? Love him or hate him that remix was sick I have always liked the tune and that was a good mix of it. If anyone knows they should PM me...Thanks

BTW Props to GSP I admit i was rooting for Serra but GSP looked great.