Post-Event Thoughts - Strikeforce: Nashville - 'Mayhem' Miller Criminally Assaulted by Members of Cesar Gracie Camp

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Post-Event Thoughts - Strikeforce: Nashville - 'Mayhem' Miller Criminally Assaulted by Members of Cesar Gracie Camp
Next Page »
RhythmAndStyle
4/18/10 7:57:39AM
First of all allow me to rant. I'm embarrassed for the sport of mixed martial arts. I don't fault Strikeforce for the brawl and honestly I think it's unfair to fault Miller. Miller went in to the cage and did some "thunder stealing" yes. But when the repercussion for that became gang assualt I am not sure. Did we see Matt Hughes' boys jump Georges St. Pierre for stating that he was "not impressed by his performance?"

Link
SmileR
4/18/10 8:07:56AM
I agree with the writer, anything less than a year will be a slap in the face of MMA as a sport. If that happened in a smaller show, local show I'd be willing to bet they would lose their license to put on fights and the people involved would face jail time.
I'm honestly shocked that people are trying to defend Melendez and the Diaz's brothers as well as the rest of the camp for what they did.
BeeR
4/18/10 9:01:39AM
Miller should have waited to go in the cage.

With that being said, im sure someone from strikeforce told him to go in and hype up a fight as they always do, He just didnt have to go and steal shields thunder, Mayhem really didnt do anything worng other then that, it was Gilbert and the Diaz boys that started throwing punches, and they are at fault.

Further, with Shields being the champion, he should NOT have throw ANY punches and should have walked away, the fact that he started throwing punches to someone who had his back to him and 2 or 3 guys on him already, he should lose the title, that is NOT what a champion does, apology or not, he was sucker punching a guy who really was just doing what he was told.

The whole thing was rediculous and the Cesar Gracie boys need to stop acting like ghetto thugs, its not good for the sport and only makes them look like complete douchebags.

xburbx
4/18/10 9:23:22AM
old school diaz / gracie beach beatdown style. +1 diaz brothers. miller should have had a bigger posse. he had a poor game plan
imanidiot777
4/18/10 9:49:04AM
One year suspension not harsh enough, especially for the Diaz brothers who continually pulls stupid stunts. Anyone involved in the attack should be criminally charged with assault, have their contracts terminated, have any kind of fines possible thrown at them to drain their bank accounts, and then be suspended for 3 years from MMA. Then they will have to go through hell in jail and get a real job to support themselves and realize how lucky they were to fight in Strikeforce for a living. Maybe then they will stop acting like high school boys.
RhythmAndStyle
4/18/10 10:18:47AM
i think some of em shoulda been stripe of the belt..either N. Diaz or G. Melendez..cause those were the first two to swing at Miller..and i don't fault Miller for any of this..i mean..he waited till Shields stopped talkin and got on and said "where my rematch buddy"..and that's disrespectful..kinda is..but it's nothing to get butt-hurt over and start beatin the guy down with kicks to the face(yes i did notice one of the Gracie guy kickin MIller in the face) and punches..lose the gangster mentality..this isn't the streets anymore..this is life...
JoeWarren33
4/18/10 10:23:20AM
The funny thing is....Why did Strikeforce even allow him in the ring?

They obviously wanted some smack talk, but if you know anything about MMA and the people who fight in it, why would you allow him to go in the ring with those guys of all people? Diaz brothers, are like Team Chute Box of old, its not going to be pretty.

I think both parties involved are at fault as well as Strikeforce....
What Miller was thinking with no back up is beyond me.

And to kick a guy in the face when he is down is a complete black eye on the sport. MMA is about respect and even fights....to do what they did to him, was cheap and emberessing.
Now what happens with CBS and Strikeforce? Can you say...this could be the possible end? New people to the sport, are probally not going to watch again.....or people who thought they would give it a try, probally wont be back due to that.

I hope all people involved get whats coming to them...as a fan, im disgusted!
AchillesHeel
4/18/10 10:38:04AM
If Miller was kicked, the author's call for criminal charges may not be hyperbole. I believe that, in most states, kicking someone "with a shod foot" is considered battery (or assault, or both) with a weapon, which may or may not qualify as "aggravated battery", which I think is a felony rather than a misdemeanor. (A piece of advice, if you get into the proverbial parking-lot rumble, don't kick. Or if you do, take your shoes off first. Like Billy Jack. Which I suppose could have the advantage of unnerving your opponent. )
icantthinkofanything
4/18/10 10:41:51AM
I think the brawl was a setup, but thats my skeptical thinking. I think SF knew that would get press and ratings.

Nick Diaz and his tag along bro are punks. Diaz bros are too controversial to be ambassadors to the sport. Diaz is the mma version of a wwe bad guy, he should not get a microphone or cage time for now on unless fighting. They should be handled by the law not the athletic commision.

I knew Jake would knock Hendo off his high horse. Although Hendo's sprawl looked good at first, and he lasted all 5 rds of being mounted, Hendo looked sluggish. I thought BJ looked sluggish, but Hendo looked really sluggish. Gegard was the same. Gegard looked slow and sloppy, with no sprawl at all imo. Gegard is lucky that King Mo could not land a power punch on him, due to Gegards good guard and defense. King Mo and Gegard prolly looked past each other, and it didnt look like a lhw champ match, more like a fight between 2 beginners imo.
Aoki is over hyped, him or Gilbert wouldnt last as champs i n the UFC imo. BJ Penn, Edgar, Grey, Diego, Tyson, Kenflo would beat both those champs imo.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 2
mshalosky
4/18/10 10:43:22AM
To start off i am a huge Nick Diaz fan. But what they did last night was a terrible moment for mma. IMO i think the Diaz brothers should get 6-12 month suspensions each but that Gilbert should not be suspended. Or have a 3 month or so suspension. To me it looked like Gilbert was just trying to just get mayhem out of there more than start a brawl.

Mayhem is f***in raw takin on like 8 people at once.
Sir_Karl
4/18/10 10:45:41AM
Normally I would agree with criminal charges for incidents like this but in this case I would leave it up to Mayhem. I doubt Mayhem would pursue anything like that though. I have to give him props though...he went out there by himself. While he didn't say anything bad...he knew his presence out there would irritate a whole pile of people in the Shields/Gracie camp. Jason knows what he is doing. They don't call him Mayhem for nothing. I wonder if the "gang assault" laws would apply here. From the looks of it Mayhem came out virtually unscathed though. We obviously can't have gang assaults going on in our society...but like I said in this case I would leave that up to Miller. I do have to blame Strikeforce for this somewhat. They did nothing to stop any of it. There was a couple old guys trying to break it up. Someone should have been on the ball. Someone should have realized Mayhem was going in the cage and that his presence would annoy the Gracie camp. Shields was the first one to lay hands on Miller...then the Diaz boys went into "attack mode". The whole thing is a mess. I think the guys involved should get a 6 month suspension from the Athletic Commission and any if any criminal charges are sought it should be at Mayhem's will. THEY DON'T CALL HIM MAYHEM FOR NOTHING.
AchillesHeel
4/18/10 10:57:17AM

Posted by Sir_Karl

Normally I would agree with criminal charges for incidents like this but in this case I would leave it up to Mayhem. I doubt Mayhem would pursue anything like that though.

Yeah, I don't know anything about the laws of Tennessee, so I'm just guessing here, but in some cases, the district attorney can choose to press charges even if the victim doesn't. With some crimes, that's to protect the victim. With some crimes, it's the difference between a misdemeanor and a felony. I haven't read anywhere that Miller was actually hurt, so that might count for something. Also, the district attorney could have some leeway to see what the promotion and the state athletic commission do, and let them handle it. Regardless, the Gracie-Barra team might want to pool their allowance and retain the services of a lawyer with a taste for country music before they leave the state.

Posted by Sir_Karl

THEY DON'T CALL HIM MAYHEM FOR NOTHING.

Heh.
prozacnation1978
4/18/10 11:00:50AM
i was watching a post fight interview with nate diaz he did a piss poor apology for his reaction,

best fight of the night, 6 on 1 beatdown and miller came out un scratched

i doubt there will be fines and suspensions but i do think strikeforce's days on cbs are over this, poor ratings, over their time slot, it's over

no more money they will let jake walk they can't afford him and others will be allowed to walk as well, maybe nate diaz and miller

sad for new watchers to see this, migth have hurt ufc chances of national tv

and sad to see hendo get owned by a 170 pounder, got to give it to shields no one gave him a chance dana will sign him and have him face gsp right from the get go,

as for me i really didn't care at all, i thought it was entertaining to see the fight

JoeWarren33
4/18/10 11:21:35AM

To me it looked like Gilbert was just trying to just get mayhem out of there more than start a brawl.

Gilbert was the main guy who started running his mouth in return to Mayhem and pushing Mayhem to start the whole brawl.

I wish Dan Henderson got involved to help out Mayhem....guess they aint close lol
RhythmAndStyle
4/18/10 11:27:54AM
StrikeForce Brawl

skip to the 0:28/29 mark and look at the left side of the vid..there's a pretty big dude throwin bout 3-4 soccer kicks...
cmill21
4/18/10 11:41:09AM
Doomed strikeforce, they will not be back on CBS. Jake, Gil, and the Diaz brothers need to be removed from MMA. They just embarassed it on network tv, and made a whole hell of a lot of people right.
MisterFreeze
4/18/10 11:42:34AM

Posted by JoeWarren33

The funny thing is....Why did Strikeforce even allow him in the ring?

They obviously wanted some smack talk, but if you know anything about MMA and the people who fight in it, why would you allow him to go in the ring with those guys of all people? Diaz brothers, are like Team Chute Box of old, its not going to be pretty.

I think both parties involved are at fault as well as Strikeforce....
What Miller was thinking with no back up is beyond me.

And to kick a guy in the face when he is down is a complete black eye on the sport. MMA is about respect and even fights....to do what they did to him, was cheap and emberessing.
Now what happens with CBS and Strikeforce? Can you say...this could be the possible end? New people to the sport, are probally not going to watch again.....or people who thought they would give it a try, probally wont be back due to that.

I hope all people involved get whats coming to them...as a fan, im disgusted!

What are you talking about!? People love to see this kind of stuff!! It's gonna be the most talked about part of the event!
I'm not saying it was ok, but the notion that this little event is going to cause people not to watch is absolutely ridiculous. People enjoy excitement! and this scuffle was exciting! If anything this will bring in more viewers hoping to see another riot!
If anything will cause people to stop watching it's the 3, 5 round bore-fests they aired on tv. The only excitement was the first round of the Henderson/Shields fight and the brawl afterwards!
StriderXero
4/18/10 12:02:17PM
it's funny how the LW, WW, and MW strikeforce champs all take a crack at Mayhem. Followed by a TUF winner soccer kicking him while 2 other guys are on top of him.

As punishment to the Cesar Gracie camp, i suggest they force them to have a staredown with Fedor Emelianenko. that'll teach em
siteksm
4/18/10 12:03:19PM
After all MMA has had to go through to earn legitimate sport status, nothing less than a suspension should be imposed. It doesnt matter that Miller was "stealing Shields thunder". This was not the first time a champion has been called out after a win, but it is the most rediculous and embarrassing result thus far. I like both Miller and Shields, but have lost a lot of respect for the Diaz brothers, whom I used to have quite a lot of respect for. This just gives fuel to the fire for all those opposed to MMA as a mainstream sport. It was a very rare, and very inappropriate, occurence, and most fighters are much classier than this.
gartface
4/18/10 12:24:22PM
Since this happened in Tennessee, can other states' athletic commissions take action? Can Nevada and California suspend the guys? If California has the least bit of power, I have a feeling they're going to pursue it, as they love to flex their powers.

I won't add anything else, because I'll just sound like a broken record to anyone reading this for the first time.
Jackelope
4/18/10 1:08:33PM
Gartface- other states can look at a fighter's record and deny him a license based on that. Take Gilbert Yvel for example who couldn't get a license until Josh Barnett vouched for him.

EDIT: And on topic I've never once supported any of the "thug" antics the Diaz bros and Cesar Gracie's camp are known for. I think they're terrible ambassadors for the sport and if I owned a company I would never let any of their fighters fight for me. I'd rather build up a guy with less skill who is a better ambassador that way I don't risk all the lawsuits and liabilities that go along with employing someone of their caliber.
whardin19
4/18/10 1:19:06PM
Yeah, the whole thing was a bunch of crap. When I see something like that it's usually on WWE. Not in real life during a Strikeforce show. I thought there supposedly competing against the UFC. I'll tell you what the UFC would have never let something like this go down. Way to show how amatuer you show really is Strikeforce.

One question I have shouldn't Coker have been in the ring putting the belt on Shields like Dana does to his champions? Didn't make sense he was already in the back.
D0wnUnd6e6r
4/18/10 1:20:44PM

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

StrikeForce Brawl

skip to the 0:28/29 mark and look at the left side of the vid..there's a pretty big dude throwin bout 3-4 soccer kicks...

I found that alot of the videos of the brawl you find online cut at some point to a frame of the hexagon (in this case the link simply doesn't work)... found a pretty good version here ... play the 2nd one.
TheCatFather
4/18/10 1:34:32PM
They won fight of the night in my book.

Hey will Nate get punished by Dana White? I wonder what he has to say about it? Also, What Miller did was just like any other fighter would do. Guess what? I bet Mayhem gets his rematch.
SpiderSilva
4/18/10 2:20:58PM
you know what made me mad was gus johnson said "sometimes these things happen in mma" wtf?
marcoDGK
4/18/10 2:29:29PM
Last night was what Dana White was talking about when he was saying Nick Diaz wasn't making it back to the UFC any time soon.

That fool tried to fight Joe Riggs (outside of the cage) after their fight also.

Man, what a big fumble for Strikeforce. Every league is working so hard to stray away from the image they posed last night with their brawl. I hope they didn't set the sport back too much.
DevonFoxy
4/18/10 2:32:29PM
Clearly this is Strikeforce's Fault. The stuff can't happen as soon as a push was thrown officials should have been in thee separating guys. It was so bad guys from Henderson's camp had to come in and separate everyone! Strikeforce......what the heck. I honestly felt like I was watching pro-wrestling all night and then this crap. Just comes off Lazy as Strikeforce now with their champs contract being up and two of their other champs getting into this fighting crap on NATIONAL TV. I choose to say nothing except this tid bit about the Diaz brothers as they don't deserve to be talked about anymore imo and it's not a shock that if this happened they would be involved.
Way to show the world what MMA is about Strikeforce. Just a fantastic job.
Bloodhound
4/18/10 2:35:12PM
i've never liked the Diaz brothers i feel that they are both wannabee thugs...i wouldnt care if Nick & Nate & Gilbert Melendez got big suspensions
hate4thestate
4/18/10 3:20:36PM
wow. i thought when id get on the pg id see something different. it seems alot of people are ignoring the fact that what miller did was horrible. he straight got in shields face with his stupid grin on. dont get me wrong its bad for the sport and whatnot but i think miller is at fault. he knew what would happen had he did that. all those gracie dudes are as tight as brothers and will act accordingly. diaz brothers did beat the crap out of him tho. but its whatever thats what they do. thats why they are my favorite because they keep it real.
gartface
4/18/10 3:33:54PM
Good stuff Jackelope.

It's so funny to see how people change their tune regarding Cesar Gracie's camp.

Scott Coker is going to have a hell of a time explaining all of this, and I don't expect him to pull it off. This is going to be the death of Strikeforce, along with terrible matchmaking and scheduling.

I fare the well.
Pages: [1] 2