Post-Dynamite Notebook: Aoki Wants Bout with B.J. Penn

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Post-Dynamite Notebook: Aoki Wants Bout with B.J. Penn
Next Page »
Wolfenstein
1/2/09 2:16:26AM
“I think there’s no doubt that B.J. Penn is still the best at 155 pounds. He’s most likely the best fighter in the world. I don’t ignore the UFC,” Aoki commented. “I respect the UFC because it’s a very high level organization -- a high summit in the sport.”

“Personally, the most decisive fight in the world, the culmination, the pinnacle for me is B.J. Penn,” Aoki said on the eve of arguably his greatest victory. “Please do not misunderstand -- I really need this to be clearly expressed in the media: Shinya Aoki will not go to the UFC. I just want to fight B.J. Penn. This is my selfish wish. I know that everyone says they want Penn, but I think I’m the number one Japanese fighter to be saying this.”

link
DuncanFan819
1/2/09 3:09:41AM
As amazing as Aoki is on the ground, I don't see him subbing BJ. It would be interesting to see, but I'd take BJ by TKO.
Diamondback2
1/2/09 3:13:15AM
Just out of curousity does anyone know why Aoki won't go to the UFC?
cmill21
1/2/09 3:23:16AM

Posted by Diamondback2

He makes way more money in Japan. I think Aoki would probably lose, but you have to admire him for wanting the best LW's. I would rather see JZ vs BJ, those are the two top LW's IMO.
Manak
1/2/09 3:23:56AM

Posted by Diamondback2

He prb wants to be able to fight in japan but UFC wont let him unless they hold a UFC event there
EvenFlow
1/2/09 3:27:00AM
lol hellboy hit him harder than i thought
Naturaldisaster
1/2/09 3:47:37AM
I've gotta say it, "I CANT EVEN BEGIN TO FATHOM A FIGHT BETWEEN BJ PENN AND SHINYA AOKI!"
ThePlague
1/2/09 6:19:43AM
I'm not really a fan of a fighter calling out another fighter out across the gap of different promotions. It's pretty easy to do when you know you won't be fighting him any time soon, so best to keep quiet until negotiations have started.
nickcuc547
1/2/09 6:44:26AM
These two need to go at it to shoot down the people who think aoki is #1.
mentalcase
1/2/09 6:45:33AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Diamondback2

He makes way more money in Japan. I think Aoki would probably lose, but you have to admire him for wanting the best LW's. I would rather see JZ vs BJ, those are the two top LW's IMO.

did u miss the fight where aoki defeated JZ by UD
breakdown5
1/2/09 7:05:11AM
It's an ambitious goal for Aoki to fight Penn. Aoki's got great JJ, but so does Penn. I think BJ would avoid the sub and destroy Aoki on the feet.
postman
1/2/09 8:49:20AM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Diamondback2

Yeah but I agree with Cmill JZ is the better fighter. His game is more well rounded credit to Aoki for the win but as far as Aoki or JZ v BJ Styles make fights and JZ has a better style to beat BJ the Aoki.
jiujitsufreak74
1/2/09 9:09:21AM

Posted by nickcuc547

name one person who thinks this
StevieC
1/2/09 10:14:34AM
If Aoki is never coming to the UFC then he is never fighting BJ. That's why he talks trash, cause he knows it will never happen.....

Fighters need to start realizing that the UFC is the ONLY place to be, there is no other promotion like it....simple as that...
ohiostate1016
1/2/09 10:18:11AM
You know who the last guy to talk like this was?

Gomi.
DaBeatdown
1/2/09 10:34:46AM
I'd settle for a grappling match if need be, great bjj match up
Aaronno9
1/2/09 10:36:29AM

Posted by ohiostate1016

Gomi.

Ha. I just hope B.J doesnt go nuts and go to Japan to hunt Aoki down like he did with Gomi and screw up everything hes got going in the UFC again....
sparky
1/2/09 10:44:27AM
hahaha if you wont go to the UFC aoki you can forget it!!!!!
jiujitsufreak74
1/2/09 11:07:01AM
WOAH!!!

why does everyone think Aoki is trash talking?!?!?!?!? all he said was that he wants to challenge himself and fight BJ...since when is that trash talking? people need to get a grip for god's sake.
postman
1/2/09 11:09:08AM
You guys who keep saying if he won't go to the UFC they won't fight must not know much about BJ Penn. His ego is huge and would drop everything he has in the UFC and go sign with Dream just to prove he is better. I don't think that will happen but never say never when it comes to BJ Penn.
prozacnation1978
1/2/09 11:22:14AM
it would be a great fight but i think aoki knows where to find penn
when randy wanted fedor he left the ufc aoki would have to do the same but the ufc would sign him quick
he needs to make the sacrifice and leave japan
ohiostate1016
1/2/09 11:58:09AM

Posted by Aaronno9

Posted by ohiostate1016

Gomi.

Ha. I just hope B.J doesnt go nuts and go to Japan to hunt Aoki down like he did with Gomi and screw up everything hes got going in the UFC again....

Wouldn't surprise me if he did.
nickcuc547
1/2/09 12:03:42PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by nickcuc547

name one person who thinks this

not singling anybody out, i've seen talk on a number of message boards that he should be #1, i think it's ridiculous but it has been said, particularly on sherdog.
HumanTarget
1/2/09 12:14:34PM
Aoki should stay in Japan. If he fought the way he battled eddie he would get boo'd off the card.
Aaronno9
1/2/09 1:51:17PM

Posted by postman

You guys who keep saying if he won't go to the UFC they won't fight must not know much about BJ Penn. His ego is huge and would drop everything he has in the UFC and go sign with Dream just to prove he is better. I don't think that will happen but never say never when it comes to BJ Penn.

Thats what i was thinking to. I mean, if he beats GSP, and Florian to a lesser extent, he'll most likely start seriously thinking about a match against aoki.
MikeyG
1/2/09 2:31:59PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Diamondback2

yeah after aoki lost the first fight
loller90278
1/2/09 5:14:35PM

WOAH!!!

why does everyone think Aoki is trash talking?!?!?!?!? all he said was that he wants to challenge himself and fight BJ...since when is that trash talking? people need to get a grip for god's sake.

agreed, hes not trash talking and quite the opposite.. hes saying bj is #1 and he'd like to challenge himself to fight bj.

and i think im the only one on these forums (maybe even the world) that aoki WOULD sub bj. hes too unorthodox, too smooth, unlike anything BJ has faced in his career.

in fact, im going to say it right now *puts flame suit on*

I THINK BJ'S JJ IS OVERRATED!
jiujitsufreak74
1/2/09 5:44:26PM

Posted by loller90278

WOAH!!!

agreed, hes not trash talking and quite the opposite.. hes saying bj is #1 and he'd like to challenge himself to fight bj.

and i think im the only one on these forums (maybe even the world) that aoki WOULD sub bj. hes too unorthodox, too smooth, unlike anything BJ has faced in his career.

in fact, im going to say it right now *puts flame suit on*

I THINK BJ'S JJ IS OVERRATED!

i'm with ya man. i agree that BJ's JJ is blown out of proportion. i think Aoki could in fact submit BJ, but there is a much greater likelihood of BJ Koing Aoki than Aoki subbing BJ.
jiujitsufreak74
1/2/09 6:15:06PM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by cmill21

Posted by Diamondback2

yeah after aoki lost the first fight

technically it was a NC...
cmill21
1/2/09 6:38:50PM

technically it was a NC...

A garbage NC lol. That was like calling Pat Berry's win over Evansen or Cro Cop's over Choi a NC.
Pages: [1] 2