Post UFC 139 thoughts, Shogun v Hendo FightMetric

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Post UFC 139 thoughts, Shogun v Hendo FightMetric
DoTheMMAth
11/20/11 11:01:48AM

Two guys missed weight. One missed weight badly and the other missed weight then got blasted in the first round. I wonder if we're going to see Nick Pace or Shamar Bailey again seeing how Dana and the masses are pretty strict on the weight topic. Nick at least gave Torres a good fight, but 6 lbs is a lot.

Did anyone else think it was a particularly rough crowd?

Miguel Torres probably isn't going to get a load of love from his fight even though it was a pretty good scrap. He had such a reputation for a while there that when he doesn't blow some guy away that is considered lower level I'm sure people are gonna affix the "of Old" suffix to Miguel talk.

Michael McDonald lived up to the hype, and DFW made a good call by moving him to the TV prelims. I'm happy that they're sticking with the promotion of these new UFC weight classes.

Chris Weidman looked real good. I definitely want to see him fight some bigger names - maybe give him the Leben litmus.

I don't think Kampmann / Story has a real loser. I think people overlook Kampmann, but he's had 13 UFC fights now (where'd the time go?) with 9 of them wins. Close decision loss for Story, but I doubt any future opponents are going to sleep on the guy any time soon.

Wandy vs Cung was also a great fight. I was happy to see an old Pride hero get a win, and Cung showed a decent chin even if he got stopped (rightfully stopped IMO). I'd be happy to see Cung fight in the UFC again, he's got fight left in him whether he tried to go Hollywood or not.

Cung's Nose

Faber looked good and this was a much needed solid win for him. Bowles never even seemed like he was in the fight. What went wrong in his head who knows.

Bonnar looked surprisingly good in the fight that was our Hot Bout, although I'm not exactly down with all the apologizing he did. Kingsbury is still sort of young in the sport so I wouldn't file him in the junk bin just yet.

Not much that needs to be said for Rua vs Henderson. It was one of the most entertaining fights of the year even if it did feature some severe gassing. FightMetric numbers make me lean towards a draw as the proper call even more.

FightMetric for Shogun vs Hendo
sbulldavid
11/20/11 11:20:14AM
I remember when Shogun/Rogerio was an epic fight for Shogun, now he's added Machida 1 and this fight to his resume, all I gotta say is why doesn't Shogun get any love on this forum but I here about Leben and his big heart against guys like Akiyama all the time.
postman
11/20/11 11:51:04AM
Such a great fight so good then you had Chandler v Alverez first time Bellator has pulled me away from a UFC.
FastKnockout
11/20/11 12:59:27PM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Two guys missed weight. One missed weight badly and the other missed weight then got blasted in the first round. I wonder if we're going to see Nick Pace or Shamar Bailey again seeing how Dana and the masses are pretty strict on the weight topic. Nick at least gave Torres a good fight, but 6 lbs is a lot.

Did anyone else think it was a particularly rough crowd?

Miguel Torres probably isn't going to get a load of love from his fight even though it was a pretty good scrap. He had such a reputation for a while there that when he doesn't blow some guy away that is considered lower level I'm sure people are gonna affix the "of Old" suffix to Miguel talk.

Michael McDonald lived up to the hype, and DFW made a good call by moving him to the TV prelims. I'm happy that they're sticking with the promotion of these new UFC weight classes.

Chris Weidman looked real good. I definitely want to see him fight some bigger names - maybe give him the Leben litmus.

I don't think Kampmann / Story has a real loser. I think people overlook Kampmann, but he's had 13 UFC fights now (where'd the time go?) with 9 of them wins. Close decision loss for Story, but I doubt any future opponents are going to sleep on the guy any time soon.

Wandy vs Cung was also a great fight. I was happy to see an old Pride hero get a win, and Cung showed a decent chin even if he got stopped (rightfully stopped IMO). I'd be happy to see Cung fight in the UFC again, he's got fight left in him whether he tried to go Hollywood or not.

Cung's Nose

Faber looked good and this was a much needed solid win for him. Bowles never even seemed like he was in the fight. What went wrong in his head who knows.

Bonnar looked surprisingly good in the fight that was our Hot Bout, although I'm not exactly down with all the apologizing he did. Kingsbury is still sort of young in the sport so I wouldn't file him in the junk bin just yet.

Not much that needs to be said for Rua vs Henderson. It was one of the most entertaining fights of the year even if it did feature some severe gassing. FightMetric numbers make me lean towards a draw as the proper call even more.

FightMetric for Shogun vs Hendo

Very good post. Hope you do this after every event.

"Miguel Torres probably isn't going to get a load of love from his fight even though it was a pretty good scrap. He had such a reputation for a while there that when he doesn't blow some guy away that is considered lower level I'm sure people are gonna affix the "of Old" suffix to Miguel talk."

-I was telling my camp leading up to the fight Pace is a solid opponent for anyone. I can't knock Torres for not blowing through him.

"Michael McDonald lived up to the hype, and DFW made a good call by moving him to the TV prelims. I'm happy that they're sticking with the promotion of these new UFC weight classes."

-I heard guys in the bar calling for the UFC to give McDonald a title shot after his win, but it would be a huge mistake. Sure, McDonald looked incredible, but it was against a guy who had less than 7 professional fights under his belt. It seems as thought the UFC's giving McDonald time to gain experience, and they are right in doing so.

"I don't think Kampmann / Story has a real loser. I think people overlook Kampmann, but he's had 13 UFC fights now (where'd the time go?) with 9 of them wins. Close decision loss for Story, but I doubt any future opponents are going to sleep on the guy any time soon."

-I was bashing my head against the table while Rogan kept going on and on about the strength of Rick Story while it was obvious he wasn't strong enough to take Kampmann down and keep him there. Yeah, Story is a strong kid, but his strength isn't on the same level as other wrestlers in the division such as Koscheck or Fitch.

"Wandy vs Cung was also a great fight. I was happy to see an old Pride hero get a win, and Cung showed a decent chin even if he got stopped (rightfully stopped IMO). I'd be happy to see Cung fight in the UFC again, he's got fight left in him whether he tried to go Hollywood or not."

-A buddy of mine kept rubbing it in my face that Le was knocked out, but I don't think he was. I've only had a chance to see the replays during the broadcast but to me it looked as if Le was just in shock from the broken nose. I don't disagree with the stoppage though, it was only a matter of time after Silva tasted blood.

"Faber looked good and this was a much needed solid win for him. Bowles never even seemed like he was in the fight. What went wrong in his head who knows."

-Dana said he's earned the rubber match against Cruz, and all I can do is just shake my head. I'm tired of seeing Faber earn a title shot after every other fight.

shaneTpain
11/20/11 1:51:49PM

If your in the UFC you should NOT be missing weight. Half a pound, 2 pounds okay but 6 pounds! 4 pounds!! chitttt good riddance to Baily & Pace.

Weidman vs Leben sounds great to me! Weidman has been blowing his opponents away but can he handle Lebens zombie on crack style?

Faber vs Cruz is getting old I agree but who else on the roster can even touch the Dominator? I thought Bowles ..but after lastnights big show choke I guess not. Dana & JoeSilva have to start scowering the globe for more bantamweight talent before we're watching Faber vs Cruz 8
Geoffo
11/20/11 9:38:28PM

Posted by shaneTpain

If your in the UFC you should NOT be missing weight. Half a pound, 2 pounds okay but 6 pounds! 4 pounds!! chitttt good riddance to Baily & Pace.

Weidman vs Leben sounds great to me! Weidman has been blowing his opponents away but can he handle Lebens zombie on crack style?

Faber vs Cruz is getting old I agree but who else on the roster can even touch the Dominator? I thought Bowles ..but after lastnights big show choke I guess not. Dana & JoeSilva have to start scowering the globe for more bantamweight talent before we're watching Faber vs Cruz 8

Pace has missed more weight than Thiago Alvez and doesn't put on good performances... I don't get why the UFC is keeping him.
gartface
11/21/11 9:36:51AM

Posted by shaneTpain

A young man by the name of Renan Barao.
40ouncetpkid
11/22/11 4:24:26PM
I live ├ępica pictures like that where two friends just got to war and can look back all bloodied and bruised up and share a beer over it. Like diaz and bj. Epic pics!

Overall Torres is still a legit fighter but Its hard not to notice how the change after the bowles brutal loss. Hes more tenative and technical which i dont like. I think he was so great before that because he was so aggressive with so might heart and had great transitions. Now he likes to be in control which i dont particularly like.

Bowles huge disappointment thought he would mike brown faber again. Kampman is a beast. I want round 4 of diego vs kampman already dammit!
jiujitsufreak74
11/23/11 1:55:43PM
i personally don't think the Sotry/Kampmann fight was that close. imo, Story won the first, Kampmann won the second and dominated the 3rd. i was a little upset that it was a SD...but the judges don't seem to understand that Kampmann's counter-punching style does more damage than his opponents missing bombs. he should have won the Diego decision imo, the Shields fight was razor close so to see this one go to a SD i was very nervous. it was a very competitive fight don't get me wrong, i just felt Kampmann clearly won.
Cooler
11/24/11 6:33:53PM
I scored the main event 47-47, but if it had to go to a must decision, Hendo by Must Decision.