Popular Musicians that you just don't "get"?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Popular Musicians that you just don't "get"?
emfleek
7/8/11 11:07:20AM
Tom Waits - I've given his music soooo many chances. I just don't get it and, quite frankly, I don't want to get it anymore. I'm done trying.

Theoutlaw08
7/8/11 12:10:19PM
Bob Dylan.....
I understand he is a great guitar player and is a great song writer.
But I CANNOT get over the fact that he may have the worst Vocals ever!
Nickleback as well......these guys act all tough, but they are the biggest pop sell outs ever.
scoozna
7/8/11 12:10:19PM
I feel you on this one. I have tried too, and even have "Bone Machine" (I think that's the name). His music has moments where the mood really strikes me, but I can't say I understand the guy and like his music.

I never liked Frank Zappa, but my wife thought he was hilarious back in the day, and I read a biography that really was hysterical. I've tried liking his music because the musicians he plays with are always top-notch, but i just can't bring myself to like it.
Poor_Franklin
7/8/11 12:24:02PM
nickelback
moby
kid rock

kingsmasher
7/8/11 1:37:28PM
Bob Dylan
Grateful Dead
Neil Crosby
emfleek
7/8/11 1:39:34PM

I never liked Frank Zappa, but my wife thought he was hilarious back in the day, and I read a biography that really was hysterical. I've tried liking his music because the musicians he plays with are always top-notch, but i just can't bring myself to like it.

I'm with you on that one. Zappa is another one I don't get.

And I forgot about Radiohead.

emfleek
7/8/11 1:40:24PM

Posted by kingsmasher

Neil Crosby

I'm assuming you mean Neil Young?
scoozna
7/8/11 1:57:46PM

Posted by emfleek

nooooo! I like Radiohead ....well at least "In Rainbows"...!
Theoutlaw08
7/8/11 2:04:22PM

Posted by emfleek

I'm with you on that one. Zappa is another one I don't get.

I agree with both......don't understand either of them, and don't like either as well.
DeadHead988
7/8/11 2:34:24PM
Definitely Radiohead. I'm always hearing about how they're one of the greatest bands in the world, but they just don't do it for me.
Budgellism
7/8/11 3:02:10PM
Coheed and Cambria. Their fans are like a cult. There are tons of them too, I just don't get it.
Chael_Sonnen
7/8/11 3:23:59PM
Any current musician today.
gartface
7/8/11 3:58:42PM

This man, and the Dirty Heads.
cowcatcher
7/8/11 4:58:12PM
I agree with Gartface about Lil Wayne.

Love Tom Waits, I'm pretty surprised you aren't a fan Fleek, I figured he'd be in your wheelhouse.

I'll add Marilyn Manson. Just WTF.

Also black or death metal bands and other "genres" of metal that basically are all noise pollution to my ears. I don't get the draw to it, except that I guess disenfranchised youths that feel like outsiders can grab onto that music because it's outside the mainstream like they feel. So I guess I do see the draw for young people, just not the reason 40-something year olds make the music. I won't say that some of the groups aren't talented either, musically they tend to be really adept. It's just that it lacks melody, and coherence in many cases from what I've heard.

The last one kind of gets away from the "popular" musicians theme, but there are a ton of metalheads out there.
BlueSkiesBurn
7/8/11 5:57:33PM
The Beatles, The Doors, Coheed and Cambria, Nickelback, Radiohead, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Metallica, and Powerman 5000.
RyanC
7/8/11 7:03:38PM
Phish - Seriously. I have a good friend who LOVES them. He's been traveling around going to shows this summer, and I DO NOT get the appeal. I tried. I really did, but I can't stand them.

The Grateful Dead - Once again, I just don't understand how people can gush over them.

Bob Dylan - His vocals might be the worst ever. Oh wait Tom Waits. . . . but they're still really bad.

I'm going to ignore anything popular nowadays getting radio play cause it's all disposable music that's marketed for teenagers, club whores, and dumb people.

There are tons and tons of other bands I don't get, but the three I listed have HUGE fan bases spanning many generations, and I just don't see the appeal of any of it.
kopower
7/8/11 9:24:21PM
All the crap that gets played on the radio. Lady Gaga, really? Just throw a decent beat together and anybody will listen. T-Pain comes to mind along with all the pop sensations that come along every year. These people aren't even musicians.
DeadHead988
7/9/11 3:56:15AM

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

The Beatles, The Doors, Coheed and Cambria, Nickelback, Radiohead, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Metallica, and Powerman 5000.

If you don't get the sex pistols, you're thinking into it too much
Shawn91111
7/11/11 3:05:34AM
Led Zeppelin, probably one of the only popular bands from that era I just not got.

Also Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers