Is This a Politically Friendly Site Now?

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Is This a Politically Friendly Site Now?
Cooler
8/29/12 1:50:57AM
Not sure how long these political ads have been up but I am confused why we cannot talk about politics (or religion) as of now when this site is sponsoring/advertising the mormon monopoly kingpin Mitt Romney...Am I wrong about how the ads work here? Mitt Romney's campaign had to pay the PG for ad space, no? and why are they up in the first place if this is supposed to be a politics and religion free zone?
Poor_Franklin
8/29/12 2:02:10AM
what ads?
cowcatcher
8/29/12 2:55:31AM
Forum rules are forum rules.

Ads generate revenue for this site to pay real money without the users having to put any up themselves.

There's really no further explanation needed.
Adrenaline
8/29/12 4:01:25AM
I for one, am happy that it is still off limits on the boards. Nothing turns otherwise intelligent people into complete and utter asshats faster than politics.

Budgellism
8/29/12 4:16:10AM

Posted by Poor_Franklin

what ads?

Exactly
Adrenaline
8/29/12 5:11:58AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Poor_Franklin

what ads?

Exactly

You two elitists are missing out. There is an ad for a device "the power companies don't want you to know about" When I'm saving billions a year thanks to this random banner ad I'm gonna laugh at your "premium" memberships.
kopower
8/29/12 7:39:13AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Poor_Franklin

what ads?

Exactly

grappler0000
8/29/12 7:58:43AM
I'd just like to add that the site is not sponsoring any political candidate. The ads you see come from Google's ad network. If you see an ad for a particular candidate, all that means is that he has spent money purchasing web ads though Google.
sparky
8/29/12 9:16:33AM
Im surprised the ads are getting this much attention to be honest

There on damn near every site on the web now adays I figured everyone just ignored them by now
airkerma
8/29/12 10:46:12AM
I like the the ones that target certain key words in threads. For example, one fighter may have broken a bone and the banner ad is something like "need a bone saw!??! click here!!!!"
scoozna
8/29/12 10:55:41AM

Posted by kopower

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Poor_Franklin

what ads?

Exactly

Hell yeah. And I agree that political/religious forum discussions always end badly and never persuade anyone.
prophecy033
8/29/12 10:58:35AM

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Poor_Franklin

what ads?

Exactly

I was thinking the same
backalley101
8/29/12 4:42:47PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Ads generate revenue for this site to pay real money without the users having to put any up themselves.

Now you know
Poor_Franklin
8/29/12 4:48:12PM

Posted by backalley101

Posted by cowcatcher

Now you know

Bubbles
8/29/12 5:41:23PM

Posted by scoozna

Posted by kopower

Posted by Budgellism

Posted by Poor_Franklin

what ads?

Exactly

ad-free bitches
shaneTpain
8/29/12 6:37:00PM
Anyway the PG can include more ads with titties in them?
Cooler
8/29/12 6:37:47PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I don't need any explanation per say, that wasn't the point of this. Just wondering why there's the double standard and why the other candidate Obama isn't also being sponsored along with Mitt Romney, they obviously had to pay the site to get ad space. And sponsoring Romney ipso facto means the site is also sponsoring conservatism.
Poor_Franklin
8/29/12 6:39:24PM

Posted by shaneTpain

Anyway the PG can include more ads with titties in them?

if they get those ads, let me know & i'll drop my premium
george112
8/29/12 6:50:36PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by cowcatcher

I don't need any explanation per say, that wasn't the point of this. Just wondering why there's the double standard and why the other candidate Obama isn't also being sponsored along with Mitt Romney, they obviously had to pay the site to get ad space. And sponsoring Romney ipso facto means the site is also sponsoring conservatism.

cowcatcher
8/29/12 6:52:27PM

Posted by Cooler

Posted by cowcatcher

That's an incorrect assumption. Like Grappler said: the site is not sponsoring any political candidate. The ads you see come from Google's ad network. If you see an ad for a particular candidate, all that means is that he has spent money purchasing web ads though Google.

This should be a non-issue, we never said anything about being affiliated with any candidate or about opening the forums up to political debate.

BTW, if we were sponsoring Romney, we'd be paying him, not the other way around,
Aether
8/29/12 7:56:03PM
Think of the adspace like billboards. The people who own the billboards don't give a shit what's on the board as long as someone is paying them to have it there. Doesn't mean the owner of the billboard likes or supports whatever is being advertised on his board, it's just an empty space that people can pay to put something in.
Cooler
8/29/12 7:56:11PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by Cooler

Posted by cowcatcher

That's an incorrect assumption. Like Grappler said: the site is not sponsoring any political candidate. The ads you see come from Google's ad network. If you see an ad for a particular candidate, all that means is that he has spent money purchasing web ads though Google.

This should be a non-issue, we never said anything about being affiliated with any candidate or about opening the forums up to political debate.

BTW, if we were sponsoring Romney, we'd be paying him, not the other way around,

Yeah that's more detailed, thanks.