Police seize 1.5 million in drugs from Phish concert

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Police seize 1.5 million in drugs from Phish concert
Jackelope
3/10/09 9:42:04AM
LINK

Wow. Talk about profiling... this is crazy! I don't know whether to laugh out loud or be pissed as hell.
emfleek
3/10/09 10:27:24AM
It's not surprising. It's part of the reason I lost interest in Phish and the entire jamband scene. 75% of the kids on tour are doing it for the party and the drugs...not the actual music. That whole scene got shady as hell years ago and I don't miss it one bit.

* EDIT: By the way...1.5 million in law enforcement terms means it was actually about $500,000.
Aether
3/10/09 11:36:54AM
lol yeah it's true, I was illegally searched once and caught with like 12 grams or so of pot and the value they listed it at was like $300 or something insane like that when it cost like $100. I think they break it down to the most common denominator, assign it a value, and then multiply that by the amount. Like maybe they say one gram is 20 dollars so therefor 10 grams is 200 dollars kind of thing. I think they value it at its maximum profitability if it were sold.
IriShame
3/10/09 12:35:16PM
That **** is totally uncool.
Wolfenstein
3/10/09 5:42:01PM
*sigh* Sad to see that law enforcement's main objective of the night is to nail a bunch of kids for drugs at a Phish Concert.
jiujitsufreak74
3/10/09 6:09:07PM
i honestly think the war on drugs is one of the most retarded things our...(damn i was gonna say something political). but to sum up my feelings i think it is stupid to be focusing on kids trying to have fun at a concert when there are murders and thieves walking around. and no, i have never smoked in my entire life.
cmill21
3/10/09 6:23:17PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

i honestly think the war on drugs is one of the most retarded things our...(damn i was gonna say something political). but to sum up my feelings i think it is stupid to be focusing on kids trying to have fun at a concert when there are murders and thieves walking around. and no, i have never smoked in my entire life.

No, going after old baseball players for things they might have done 10 years ago that no one really cares about is.
jiujitsufreak74
3/10/09 6:28:12PM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

No, going after old baseball players for things they might have done 10 years ago that no one really cares about is.

yeah i agree that is even worse (hence the "one of the")
breakdown5
3/10/09 8:18:01PM
I've been to a few of these festivals where members of the Dead would play with other jam bands. It's like what emfleek said, just one big party with bikers as security guards patrolling on harleys during the day. I'd rather deal with them than the cops though. One time a kid overdosed on morphine and nitrus I believe. They medivac'd him to the closest hospital, but he died anyway.

Towards the end of my fest days, the state police would set up road blocks a mile down the road from the farm the festival was at. If you even drove by them cross eyed your car would get searched.
Rollins
3/10/09 10:45:29PM
9 and 3/4 out of 10 people who do business these days flip like a phish out of water with a little time on their hands...nobodies willing to do a little time to keep their self respect anymore.

ask any cop and they'll tell you the ball less youth and selfish people in general these days talk with a quickness, the only way to make sure people don't talk is when they know you or your people will and have the capacity and lack of hesitation to kill them.

works almost every time sad what the world is coming to this, what ever happened to doing your time and keeping your mouth shut?
jakeiceman
3/11/09 1:08:33AM
You guys have fun I wont preach

pv3Hpv3p
3/11/09 10:59:06AM

Posted by emfleek

It's not surprising. It's part of the reason I lost interest in Phish and the entire jamband scene. 75% of the kids on tour are doing it for the party and the drugs...not the actual music. That whole scene got shady as hell years ago and I don't miss it one bit.

* EDIT: By the way...1.5 million in law enforcement terms means it was actually about $500,000.

I feel the exact same way... Bunch of junkies just there for the drugs, which were plentiful... Really ruined the whole thing for me... that and new age hippies now a days just fuckn suck... They show up to a show in their parents BMW and act like they're better than you because they haven't showered in a week? WTF?... But couldn't tell you two songs fromt he first set... shame really, ruined a good thing...

This whole story reminds me of what happened in South Floride on New Years 99... I guess I can't blame the cops for zeroing in on this group, they just make it sooo damn easy
emfleek
3/11/09 11:25:51AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

This whole story reminds me of what happened in South Floride on New Years 99... I guess I can't blame the cops for zeroing in on this group, they just make it sooo damn easy

...but I still had the time of my life. Big Cypress PWNED.
pv3Hpv3p
3/11/09 4:56:30PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

...but I still had the time of my life. Big Cypress PWNED.

Can't argue with that... It was worth the 46 hr greyhound ride and then some... absolutley EPIC show though... I was chanting "CHEESECAKE" for weeks, lol
bls1919
3/12/09 9:33:41PM
BUM DEAL. But Seriously...if your going to sells drugs...albeit at a concert or not do it discreetly. I have been to 2 PHISH concert "tailgates" never in the concert. And anything and everything is at your diposal. if you have the casholla.
emfleek
3/13/09 9:32:55AM

Posted by bls1919

BUM DEAL. But Seriously...if your going to sells drugs...albeit at a concert or not do it discreetly. I have been to 2 PHISH concert "tailgates" never in the concert. And anything and everything is at your diposal. if you have the casholla.

Agreed. It's not uncommon to have dozens of people approach you with shrooms, doses, nuggets, buttons, etc.

Anyways...I'm happy to be done with that scene. Although, I must admit...part of me wanted to be in Hampton this past weekend...
drunkinirishdungeonmaster
3/26/09 12:09:51AM
you have to realize that cops say drugs are worth 5 times what they really are, and that's liek bare minimal, so lets say they got 300,000 worth of ****, which is more than likely worth 175,000, but whatever. That si still a splash in the well of money that was made that weekend, and not just by the Phish kids. Hotel rooms were a grand a night, for a **** ass room, just cause they knew kids would need rooms. Phish also had to pay for the cops to work, it was a pretty strange place to be
EvenFlow
3/26/09 9:52:42AM
Not that I endorse pig-like activities like staking out a concert but I cant stand Phish music, fans and their scene so good riddance. I agree with some of you saying the jam band scene is really shady but I'll have to disagree as well. I've met some great people in all walks of life who I still know years later to this day. I could go to some random states and call on a friend or two if I ever needed a place to stay or if I was just traveling etc. Any Wookiefoot festival or show is awesome, they're more like alternative, experiemental, ska and dub than a jam band. They took large profits from their concerts and gave it to poor rural areas of Nepal and other Asian countries.
emfleek
3/26/09 10:25:00AM

Posted by EvenFlow

Not that I endorse pig-like activities like staking out a concert but I cant stand Phish music, fans and their scene so good riddance. I agree with some of you saying the jam band scene is really shady but I'll have to disagree as well. I've met some great people in all walks of life who I still know years later to this day. I could go to some random states and call on a friend or two if I ever needed a place to stay or if I was just traveling etc. Any Wookiefoot festival or show is awesome, they're more like alternative, experiemental, ska and dub than a jam band. They took large profits from their concerts and gave it to poor rural areas of Nepal and other Asian countries.

I've met great people as well. There are some great things about it. The "idea" of it is awesome. It's the drug-addicted trustafarian hula hooping kids on ecstacy (SCI fans) that have ruined it for me.

But, yeah...to quote a Talking Heads song (that Phish covers)...

Theres good points and bad points...
pv3Hpv3p
3/26/09 10:38:50AM

Posted by emfleek

But it all works out...
EvenFlow
3/26/09 1:42:51PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by EvenFlow

I've met great people as well. There are some great things about it. The "idea" of it is awesome. It's the drug-addicted trustafarian hula hooping kids on ecstacy (SCI fans) that have ruined it for me.

But, yeah...to quote a Talking Heads song (that Phish covers)...

Yeah for the most part you cant really trust anyone, especially anyone who uses drugs frequently. I always wore and looked how I wanted, I guess I was never that hippie kid who joined along because it was "something cool to do" I only went with friends I already trusted and never really let anyone in until I trusted them, its sad ppl still have to do this regardless of what your in to but it must be done.
MFOTHER
3/27/09 1:45:40PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

Posted by emfleek

But it all works out... [/QUOTE

Im just a little freaked out..............