Going into the police academy

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Going into the police academy
hotrodttt
2/14/13 3:56:02PM
I've decided to do something to better myself along with starting a new career. I'm stepping down as a manager at In N Out and I'm going to pursue law enforcement. Just wanted to know if there were any people who have been to an academy or is an employed police officer.
kopower
2/14/13 4:09:22PM
Bojangalz would be the person to talk to
Rabi
2/14/13 4:36:41PM
I havent mate but I wish you all the luck, hope it works out well.
Theoutlaw08
2/14/13 5:00:46PM
I was in the academy in Milwaukee WI. I was a police aide intern right out of high school for a year and a half. I worked in the Central records building out of ditrict 3. Which was pretty much taking phone calls from officers for stolen cars, missing children, suicide attempts. As well as photo evidence, phone calls from civilians for stolen or damaged property. I worked on payroll and as a dispatcher in district 6. And was in the academy. I couldnt handle the hours honestly. I was young, I wanted to be partying, so midnight to 8 in the morning wasnt good for me. I battled but couldnt handle it. I made some good friends and had some great experieces for the year and a half i was there. Looking back i made the right descision, even tho i would be making more money as a cop right now.

Id say go for it, its a good profession, if you can handle the hours.
jjeans
2/14/13 5:04:38PM

Posted by hotrodttt

I've decided to do something to better myself along with starting a new career. I'm stepping down as a manager at In N Out and I'm going to pursue law enforcement. Just wanted to know if there were any people who have been to an academy or is an employed police officer.

I'm at university training to be one

Good luck man
prozacnation1978
2/14/13 5:33:29PM
I would make sure you get accepted to a academy first before u quit your job. Either that or keep the job and
Take night classes for starters
pmoney
2/14/13 6:16:08PM
Good luck hotrodttt! I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

I have a lot of friends who are waiting to become police officers. They have their education and training and are working as security guards, waiting for a spot on the local PD to open up. Now that California has a balanced budget, hopefully the PD's will have more openings and you can slide right in.
Poor_Franklin
2/14/13 6:25:51PM
good luck hotrodttt!

we need more good ones to outnumber the bad ones!!!!!
Bubbles
2/14/13 6:31:37PM
don't smoke all the confiscated dope to yourself sharing is caring

seriously though, good luck and like kopower said, talk to bojangalz if you have questions
Shawn91111
2/14/13 8:50:15PM

Good luck man.
bojangalz
2/14/13 9:16:32PM

I've got a better idea. Find a job that pays well. One that doesn't involve shift work, holidays, or weekends. Otherwise- Prepare yourself for the reality that you'll be nothing more than a glorified garbageman. Understand that within the first few months you'll be jaded, and cynical. You'll have to rely on a very dark sense of humor to get past the bleak outlook you'll undoubtedly develop.

Come to terms with the fact that you're not going to be wanted by just about anyone you are called to "help". You'll deal with 10% of the population 90% of the time. And believe me, it's not the upper ten percent either. You're split-second actions will be scrutinized and analyzed over and over; often times in a court of law. Very often (most of the time in fact) the split second-decision you make with be perceived as having a negative impact by those who are effected (even if you're doing what's best for them). Know that a majority of the time, those who need help the most will do whatever they can to avoid it.

You're going to be micro-managed. There's a seemingly unending threat of budget cuts. The vest you'll where under you're shield will leave you with heat rash all summer long. Oh, and did I mention that there's always the small chance you'll need to take a bullet?

But if you can get past those minor details you'll find that few jobs are more personally satisfying or self-gratifying. You'll be left with only the strongest of ties to those of a like mind and personal pride in their civil duties. You'll be left with some of the greatest stories, those that can only be appreciated or even understood by someone who has been there before.

There really aren't too many things you can do on this earth to replicate the feeling you get rolling up on a hot call knowing that you are the person EVERYONE there is at to restore order and save the day. There's a bit of inner piece that only a sheepdog can have in understanding that while everyone else is running away, it is you who runs towards the gun fire. It is you who embraces the chaos. It is you willing to protect the flock when the wolf is at the door.

Law enforcement ins't a job. It's a profession, and a calling.

As far as academy goes. It varies by state. In Minnesota we have to go to college first and receive at minimum a two-year Associated of Applied Science Degree in Law Enforcement. There's always the ability to go for additional years and get Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice, etc. After successful completion of a Professional Peace Officers Education program we need to take a state board exam (similar to a Doctor or Liar... I mean Lawyer). We have to complete the state exam to be license by the POST (Peace Officer's Standard's and Training) board.

Once we're POST certified we can be hired by any agency in the state. From there we go into whatever specific training the agency has set up. Some agencies are nothing more than a few hours riding around with a partner. Most medium size or larger departments have a FTO (Field Training Officer) period that can last anywhere from a few weeks to six months or more. Really just depends on where you wind up and what their policies are.

Best of luck, hotrod.
Poor_Franklin
2/15/13 5:53:47AM
bojanglez telling it how it is & reminding me why i am not only fit to be a police officer, but also why i respect the shit out of them....the good ones anyways
grappler0000
2/15/13 8:04:48AM
Good luck, man
Michael_Corleone
2/16/13 12:48:38AM
I have a few friends that work for the Sheriff's Office and Police Department where I'm at. The Academy is going to be real tough, but it shouldn't be anything that you can't handle.

Not trying to be an asshole or anything, but Police Officers have one of the highest suicide rates of any job profession. Just throwing that out there.
hashyandy4
2/16/13 2:51:47AM
Good Luck Man
ChrisSabal
2/18/13 6:22:42PM
Once I graduate I too will be taking this route. I believe it is a great job if you can handle a lot of the things bojanglz said. Go to school, get opinions from fellow officers and see if it would be the right route to go down.