Pmoney reports: Kemp, Dodgers robbed; Ryan Braun named NL MVP (Cowcatcher: Don't Read!!)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Pmoney reports: Kemp, Dodgers robbed; Ryan Braun named NL MVP (Cowcatcher: Don't Read!!)
pmoney
11/22/11 3:05:46PM
I'm very disappointed to see the BBWAA fucked this up. Braun had a good year, no doubt. But in my opinion he did not deserve it over Matt Kemp, or (my vote for MVP) Clayton Kershaw.

Braun put up good numbers this year, but I find Kemp's better. In fact, if you look at his statistics for last season, only about five or six other players have put up numbers like Kemp has in a season. The last guy to put up similar stats was Hank Aaron, whoever that is.

Then how about their home parks? Dodger Stadium is a tougher place to hit. How about defense? Kemp won another gold glove this year, and Braun has been described as mediocre in the outfield.

But that's the case for Kemp over Braun. To me, if it's not Kemp for MVP, it's Clayton Kershaw. He won the Cy Young for all the right reasons: Triple crown winner, leading the NL in wins, strikeouts, and lowest ERA. He also killed with the bat. I'd have to look at his exact numbers, but I know he hit over .200, which I find respectable for a pitcher. I saw him pitch a complete game shutout (he had a couple of those) while he knocked in at least one RBI and the Dodgers won 8-0. He could also lay down the sacrfice better than anyone in the majors. The Dodgers finished the season 82-79. If Clayton doesn't go 21-5, I say the Dodger easily lose 10 of those 21.

Getting pretty tired of the east coast sports bias. I guess when your team hasn't won their division in thirty years, that kind of thing is a big deal, I don't know. I would imagine putting up numbers more rare than a perfect game (Kemp) would earn you the nod. Or maybe being the sole reason your team has a winning record would do it. My mind is just blown. How does Verlander get Cy and MVP, and Clayton gets the Cy and not one fucking vote for MVP? Pretty amazing.

* I am aware that the counter argument to all my points is that the Dodgers suck.
emfleek
11/22/11 3:13:05PM
In my opinion, the MVP should NEVER go to a player whose team didn't make the playoffs.
pmoney
11/22/11 3:50:20PM

Posted by emfleek

In my opinion, the MVP should NEVER go to a player whose team didn't make the playoffs.

I feel that, Emfleek. Many (most) people are from the same school of thought. I don't necessarily subscribe to it though. I personally don't think whether a team makes it to the post season or not should be of any consequence. I don't recall the ol "MVP" and his team doing too much once they got to the post season either. The MVP is a regular season award.....
cowcatcher
11/22/11 4:36:38PM
First off, I don't like the idea of pitchers winning the MVP when they only play every 5 games.

That said, I think the voters got it right. Braun is a pretty damn good fielder, and has made all of 6 errors in 4 years(1 this season) in LF which was a completely new position to a guy that was always an infielder. So basically the guy is an asset in the field to go with the huge numbers at the plate.

Kemp's numbers were fantastic, and I wouldn't have been shocked to see him win, but hitting on a team that's barely .500 as opposed to a division winner is a lot easier to do. Teams and pitchers get up to play a division leader, and they tend to add that little extra effort that is tough to dig up day in and day out in a 162 game season when they meet the top teams in the league.

I understand your frustration P$, but at least you have the football season to hold you over in LA...oooh, sorry...

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that I wasn't supposed to read this. Disregard my post.
pmoney
11/22/11 5:20:55PM

Posted by cowcatcher

First off, I don't like the idea of pitchers winning the MVP when they only play every 5 games.

That said, I think the voters got it right. Braun is a pretty damn good fielder, and has made all of 6 errors in 4 years(1 this season) in LF which was a completely new position to a guy that was always an infielder. So basically the guy is an asset in the field to go with the huge numbers at the plate.

Kemp's numbers were fantastic, and I wouldn't have been shocked to see him win, but hitting on a team that's barely .500 as opposed to a division winner is a lot easier to do. Teams and pitchers get up to play a division leader, and they tend to add that little extra effort that is tough to dig up day in and day out in a 162 game season when they meet the top teams in the league.

I understand your frustration P$, but at least you have the football season to hold you over in LA...oooh, sorry...

Blasphemy Cowcatcher! Pure blasphemy! I refuse to acknowledge the validity of your statements, and demand you swing the MOD hammer and delete your own post!!

As far as football goes, well, thank God it's only my 3rd or 4th favorite sport! I didn't get behind the 49'ers in the 90's, I'm not going to now. Oakland and San Diego.... Well they are terrible teams with fan bases comprised of the worst people on earth, so there's that.... It's Cowboys for life for the old boy pmoney!

Green Bay has been helping me make some good money this season though, so I am very appreciative of that
cowcatcher
11/22/11 5:22:24PM

Posted by pmoney

Posted by cowcatcher

Blasphemy Cowcatcher! Pure blasphemy! I refuse to acknowledge the validity of your statements, and demand you swing the MOD hammer and delete your own post!!

As far as football goes, well, thank God it's only my 3rd or 4th favorite sport! I didn't get behind the 49'ers in the 90's, I'm not going to now. Oakland and San Diego.... Well they are terrible teams with fan bases comprised of the worst people on earth, so there's that.... It's Cowboys for life for the old boy pmoney!

Green Bay has been helping me make some good money this season though, so I am very appreciative of that

I'll be giving myself a one week ban on your advice buddy. I just don't think removing the post would really teach me my lesson.
pmoney
11/22/11 5:50:09PM

Posted by cowcatcher

I'll be giving myself a one week ban on your advice buddy. I just don't think removing the post would really teach me my lesson.

That's a harsh but fair punishment. That's the kind of impartial act that earned you a seat at the Mod round table, I'm sure. Your contributions will be missed, but I don't doubt, much like Ryan Bader, that you'll come back better than ever!
Twenty20Dollars
11/22/11 6:19:20PM
Kemp wins anyway, maybe not the MVP, but with all the money he is getting.

Shawn91111
11/22/11 9:38:25PM
Neither league had the correct MVP.
Bubbles
11/28/11 8:41:20PM

Posted by Shawn91111

Neither league had the correct MVP.

this.

as a major baseball fanatic, these 2 awards pissed me right off. in no way shape or form should a starting pitcher win the MVP. Verlander played in 21% of his teams games, and his win total was kept in tact having a closer who didnt blow a game all season. the Tigers would have easily won the division without him anyways. but Kershaw not getting any votes for having arguably a better season (better ERA, 3 less wins on a shittier team, slightly lower Ks, more complete games) is beyond absurd if Verlander is going to get consideration.

AL winner: Jacoby Ellsbury. his numbers are more than impressive as a LEADOFF hitter. i dont think he made any errors this season. and he was the only contributing player during the Red Sox collapse...its not his fault. Bautista should have gotten #2

NL winner: Matt Kemp. overall better season and had little protection in the lineup...Braun had Fielder waiting in the on-deck circle every night. Kemp is far better defensively too.

a player does not need to be on a playoff team to win the MVP...its called the most VALUABLE player for a reason. a player shouldnt get extra credit because he plays on a stacked team (ie Granderson). any player on a contending team is fine, unless they have an unreal season. Bautista for example fits this. having zero protection in the lineup (as shown by leading the league in walks), he still put up great numbers, though yes the 2nd half was sub par compared to his first half which hurt his chances. not only that but he never had anyone on base in front of him.
emfleek
11/28/11 9:55:09PM

Posted by Bubbles

...its called the most VALUABLE player for a reason.

What is your definition of 'valuable' then? In my opinion, a 'valuable' player is one that is essential in a team getting to where they are. You can't convince me that the 'most valuable player' is essential to a shitty .500 (or worse) team that achieved nothing in terms of success.
Shawn91111
11/28/11 10:19:49PM
Any year that Jeter doesnt win it, then the voters got it wrong.