help plzz

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » help plzz
lilbadboy
6/15/08 10:27:22PM
can someone explain to me how to hold my hands up like chris byrd? my trainer wants me to fight like that. thanks
Guru
6/15/08 11:26:42PM
http://www.hbo.com/boxing/img/events/2003/0920_byrd_oquendo/234x246/action_05.jpg

Raykill
6/15/08 11:48:16PM
Uh o.k. Is this a real question?
Jackelope
6/16/08 12:02:27AM
I'm not even sure what you're talking about, but if your trainer wants you to do something and he can't explain what he's talking about or show you himself then he's a P.O.S. trainer.

I'm hoping this is a joke or something.....
Guru
6/16/08 3:07:11AM
dannyfrank
6/16/08 8:41:49AM
wha?
The-Don
6/16/08 12:07:46PM

Posted by Jackelope

I'm not even sure what you're talking about, but if your trainer wants you to do something and he can't explain what he's talking about or show you himself then he's a P.O.S. trainer.

I'm hoping this is a joke or something.....

A traininer needs to help you find whats natural for you.. he may show you example of other fighters to see if something similiar may work for you.. if your training can't show you what he wants then you may want to rethink your training.. as I said a training need to help you find your strength's and weaknesses.. He needs to help you refine your strengrhs but at the same time help you improve your weaknesses... example
I was training a guy a 205 guy strong as a freaking Ox.. good power in his hands and quick... he wanted to be a stand up striker like chuck liddell... Yea he got power and can probably get a few KO's like that.. but his wrestling game is much better and to top it off he is short... most 205 guys I see are around 5'11 to 6'2 on average.. this guy is only 5'9 in shoes... I had him watch several good strikers and then let him research thier hight and such.. and asked what he would do against a guy with a longer reach but better striking... Now I am not saying he could not hang and bang but Iam 6'2 walk around at about 255.. and he could scoop me up and put me down with out struggling with my weight... His strength's lie in take downs and GnP so I had him focus on that.. but we worked on his stand up as well.. when he gets out of training in the National gaurd... were going to start working more on his stand up cause I want him to be able to trade blows if he has to if he does go against someone with good takedown defense... basicly the point is this.. I did not tell him to do anything like a certian person... I had him watch fights to see different ways things are done so he could develope a way that works best for him...

But seriously... Is that what your trainer told you to do?
fullerene
6/16/08 12:46:55PM
This guy has 6 posts, a 0-0 lifetime record on the Playground and asked a nonsensical question--I think the odds that he's serious aren't too good.
The-Don
6/16/08 1:07:11PM
you are probably right.. but I was on this site for several months beforeI really started posting and such... U used to be on MMAForum.com... in fact it was through there that I found this site.. and well this one loads ALOT easier on my PC and well there are less trolls and such on this site from what I have seen... Some great people on the other site that I still stay in touch with from time to time.. but this has become one of my favorite sites..

This kid could be serious.. though it sounds like he probably has a friend training him who is acting like he knows all and this kid is getting some bad info... I hope he finds a better trainer if he is serious...
lilbadboy
6/16/08 1:53:40PM
i am serious. i like chris byrd's style and want to fight like him. i am also a SP and cant figure out how he holds his hands. my trainer told me he wanted me to use a peek-a-boo style and he explained how to do it but i want it to look more like byrd's which im sure he wont have a problem with. thanks
The-Don
6/16/08 2:31:10PM

Posted by lilbadboy

i am serious. i like chris byrd's style and want to fight like him. i am also a SP and cant figure out how he holds his hands. my trainer told me he wanted me to use a peek-a-boo style and he explained how to do it but i want it to look more like byrd's which im sure he wont have a problem with. thanks

ok He is real...

Ok first off.. DO NOT try to copy and fight like someone else.. you are yourself... So fight that way... you can study tape and take things from other fighters.. but just because it may work for them.. it may not work for you simple reason... is.. YOU ARE NOT THEM... I am a right handed person.. I fight like a lefty... Now I use a similiar stance to say.. Bruce lee when I am doing stand up... but it is not the same even though I have adopted some elements.. why do I not copy bruce lee exactly.. simple reason... I'm not Bruce Lee I do not have his speed and quickness.. granted I am probably twice as strong as he is and a better grappler.. so it is different.. though people who know bruce's style see bits of it.. but it is not the same.. quit copying style and do what feels natural to you and your body...
Guru
6/16/08 3:33:12PM

when i first started this madness i stood in my fight stance and my trainer just fine tuned it. if you do something unatural or uncomfortable to your own body you can over compansate without knowing it, or just fight sloppy. im in agreement with everyone else.

***Find A New Trainer***
The_Notorious_ZIG
6/16/08 3:34:53PM
Can we confirm what type of training? Boxing? MMA? Kick Boxing? The advice will differ depending on your answer.

Chris Byrd has an awkward, unorthadox style that uses alot of movement and angles and relies on speed, quickness and natural instincts. A true "peek a boo" style is more like Floyd Patterson or early Mike Tyson with both hands just under your eyes, bobbing and weaving into the pocket to strike.

I'm not sure how you would make that look like Chris Byrd....or if you would even want to....depending on your own physical gifts and what you're training for.
The-Don
6/16/08 3:44:16PM

Posted by The_Notorious_ZIG

Can we confirm what type of training? Boxing? MMA? Kick Boxing? The advice will differ depending on your answer.

Chris Byrd has an awkward, unorthadox style that uses alot of movement and angles and relies on speed, quickness and natural instincts. A true "peek a boo" style is more like Floyd Patterson or early Mike Tyson with both hands just under your eyes, bobbing and weaving into the pocket to strike.

I'm not sure how you would make that look like Chris Byrd....or if you would even want to....depending on your own physical gifts and what you're training for.

Couple of good points... and it enforces what I said... you have to do what is best for you.. not what works for someone else
lilbadboy
6/16/08 5:50:04PM
ok. i do boxing and mma. thanks for all the tips.
Jackelope
6/17/08 9:57:01AM

Posted by lilbadboy

ok. i do boxing and mma. thanks for all the tips.

If you're doing MMA you're going to have to lower your boxing stance to avoid the takedowns. Not to mention reduce your head movement and increase your footwork so you don't plant your legs and become susceptible to leg kicks.

The problem with Byrd's stance in relation to MMA is the size of the gloves. He keeps his hands out a bit high, wide and away from his face. Those 4 oz. MMA gloves will slip right through on the straights and jabs. Not to mention the fact that he stands real high and relies on a slip to avoid the hook.

If you were to adopt this stance I'd suggest lowering it a bit and bringing the hands in closer and more peek-a-boo like. Slipping the hook is fine, but if you're going to slip in MMA you better be well aware of that opposite leg coming at you after you slip the hook. Not to mention slipping the way Byrd does sets you up nicely to get put in a thai or Greco clinch.

Point being- the games are totally different. I would suggest changing one way for the other in MMA vs. Boxing because simply put you're not going to be able to sprawl for MMA in a boxing stance and you won't be able to slip and counter for boxing in an MMA stance.